On 3/23/2018 at 10:11 AM, DuctTape said:

I think you might be focusing too much on the criminal record piece and missing this important facet.

CM didn’t say it was because he was a non family member, she said it was because of his history.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The major point here for me (setting aside the criminal record for a moment) is that this is your boyfriend. He is not a parent, step-parent, legal guardian, or registered adult leader. For this reaso

I can sympathize with your situation. I can also understand why you and he want to be active in this aspect of your scout's life. But, let's keep in mind that scouting is not for us. It isn't for

The judge didn't think so. The newspaper didn't think so. The scout unit didn't think so. I think it is time you wake up and smell the coffee. A felony conviction is not insignificant.  

6 hours ago, David CO said:

Oh, come on!

He is a felon. He is not a great person. I don't want to go over the top in criticizing him, but let's not put him up for sainthood either.

So you’ve never done anything wrong in your entire life? Never lied, never got a speeding ticket? You’re perfect right?

Ive had far more “upstanding citizens” treat me with less respect than multiple felons! Not everyone who has had a run in with the law is a terrible person.

lets also not forget “God Country Family”. It’s not very Christian like to judge people based on a past that they’ve left behind for a better life.

All we wanted to to was attend the days activities as a family and leave at lights out. We didn’t want to set up a meth lab in our tent. Geezzz.... 

2 hours ago, scoutmom86 said:

So you’ve never done anything wrong in your entire life? Never lied, never got a speeding ticket? You’re perfect right?

Ive had far more “upstanding citizens” treat me with less respect than multiple felons! Not everyone who has had a run in with the law is a terrible person.

lets also not forget “God Country Family”. It’s not very Christian like to judge people based on a past that they’ve left behind for a better life.

All we wanted to to was attend the days activities as a family and leave at lights out. We didn’t want to set up a meth lab in our tent. Geezzz.... 

The CM has the power to prevent someon from attending a activity if there is a reason. It may not be a reason you agree with, but it is a reason that the CM and most likely the committee agrees as well. The problem with you currently is that, I’m sorry to say, but as you said above, you’re taking this a little too personal. I’m sure this has happened in another pack/Troop/crew as well.

FYI: Also, you can’t really compare a speeding ticket to a felony.

Edited by ItsBrian
5 hours ago, scoutmom86 said:

You say that as if you don't think it is even remotely possible that any of us scouts and scouters might actually live by our principles. How sad.

Edited by David CO
  • Upvote 1
6 hours ago, scoutmom86 said:

It’s not very Christian like to ...

Your reply made me look back at my previous post. I should not have used the word "sainthood" in my remarks. It is a common expression. In this case, it could be read as an inappropriate religious criticism interjected into a conversation that has nothing at all to do with religion. 

That is not how I meant it. Moderators should feel free to delete my remark.

Edited by David CO
  • Thanks 1

Sometimes people make big mistakes or get involved with the wrong crowd of people. 

I think the thing is, if a person has committed a crime,  served their sentence and is trying to re-make a better life,  that's good.  That's what we want, people who want to do better if they've screwed up.  

@David CO To err is human, to forgive, divine.  --Alexander Pope

Edited by WisconsinMomma
On ‎3‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 1:46 PM, scoutmom86 said:

...is a felon and is almost done with probation...

He is still on probation with the courts. I think it is fair if the scout unit considers him to be on probation with them as well.

• Upvote 4
12 hours ago, David CO said:

He is still on probation with the courts. I think it is fair if the scout unit considers him to be on probation with them as well.

Only took 3 pages of posts to get the best post.

On 4/4/2018 at 6:53 PM, scoutmom86 said:

A speeding ticket isn't even a crime, much less a felony. 

4 minutes ago, ItsBrian said:

Still can’t compare to a drug felony.

I didn’t say it did.  @perdidochas stated speeding isn’t a crime.  It can be at certain speeds and in certain states.  That statement was wrong. 

I would be much more concerned about a parent in my Pack who systematically has current speeding tickets than a 40 year old parent who sold some pot to a friend when he was 17.  

I have no idea who this person is, what they did or if they are “good” or “bad”. I tend to think it best to limit judgement of people you don’t know the details on.  I’m not sure judging this person is even needed to answer the questions posed.  

36 minutes ago, Eagle1993 said:

I tend to think it best to limit judgement of people you don’t know the details on.

This is particularly true if the person has already been judged and found guilty. 

I don't think the scout unit is being asked to judge him. The scout unit is being asked to overlook or second guess a judgement that has already been made by the courts.

• Upvote 1

After being accused of stealing from his job, he was arrested and searched and had a small amount of drugs on him. Once arrested and transported, the place of employment found whatever they accused him of stealing and the charges were dropped, AFTER the newspaper had already been printed. So yes, wrong, drugs are bad. Yes he had a long time drug problem, but he has come a long way since. Yes he isn’t a blood relative. That I understand also. Makes sense for people to be weary. However, the only reason the CM knew is because she knows family of his ex wife. Other than that, he would just be some nobody that follows me around at scout meetings.

i applaud those of you who have never made a single mistake in your entire lives. That’s wonderful. Others have seen drinking and drugs our whole lives. Some get out sane and never scaved by the horrors of drug abuse, others sit next to our parents while they it pass around.

it is entirely judgmental of anyone to shun someone who was trying to step in for a child who hasn’t had a decent father in his life at 10 years old. My kid is awkward. He has a hard time making friends at scouts. He has ADHD and a touch of autistic tendencies. And after 3 days of hard work on his regatta with this strange but great attention, he was psyched to show it off.

Its alright though. You’ve all made a point. This is about the children. Their safety is of upmost importance. He still had a good time.

i still think that what’s good for one is good for all! If he will have to be supervised EVEN when hos son is a scout, then all parents should be vetted and supervised for infractions! 

We do ask around about those "some nobodies" be they boyfriends, girlfriends, etc ... One divorced mom was especially grateful that we did. Another dad had to carefully explain to us how an ex who was not in the picture suddenly was.

We also are painfully aware that sometimes a bio-parent can make a kid's scouting career impossible.

So your bf may be singled out, but in the grand scheme of things he's not alone.