Adult registration required for all activities over 72 hrs

"Effective June 1, 2018, adults accompanying a Scouting unit who are present at the activity for 72 total hours or more must be registered as a leader, including completion of a criminal background check and Youth Protection Training. The 72 hours need not be consecutive."

https://scoutingwire.org/updated-youth-protection-training-now-available/?utm_source=scoutingwire&utm_campaign=SWVolunteer3142018&utm_medium=email&utm_content=A

Just now, ItsBrian said:

What does that mean?

I take it to mean an event like summer camp, where you spend 2 days at camp at the beginning of the week, go home for a couple of days and then return for another couple of days. So, you've spent over 72 hrs at the event, but over two or more visits.

• Thanks 1
12 minutes ago, Jameson76 said:

More money for National....

Sadly, it all goes to background checks and defense funds.

On the plus side, fewer helicopters ... well, at least ones who wont pay for the "refueling" costs.

• Upvote 2

on one hand I agree it makes sense.... good from a background check/YPT standpoint, and good that it might maybe reduce helicoptering just a bit....maybe....

& in that regard I might even go so far as my daughter's GS troops do and change that 72 hours to 1 minute....

but

on the other hand it's another one of those rules that creates a lot of unintended problems...

My son's old troop followed a loose version of this rule...basically any adult that wanted to camp at summer camp had to register as a scouter.  They were much more relaxed with more of an open door policy for standard weekend campouts...  What happened was an adult heavy roster filled with folks that really didn't do a job or ever participate in any way, made work levels much higher chasing down YPT renewals, recharter decisions, dues, etc...

I have a love/hate opinion of the Girl Scouts' rigidity in limited leaders and NO adults other than leaders on trips.