Best Merit Badge Classes in the US

Hey Scouts and Scouters -- if you have been to an excellent, inspiring merit badge class, tell us all about it!!!  

I have heard good things about UW-Madison's Nuclear Science badge program, but we haven't experienced it yet.  I am sure there are some very good classes out there, let's review them!

The Greenfield, WI Fire department puts on a very good Fire Safety merit badge with a short classroom bit but lots of hands on, supervised fire extinguishing. 

(I know that many Scouters aren't fans of organized classes but this is NOT the place for that discussion.)

Citizenship in the Nation Merit Badge Workshop

an initiative of the Benjamin Harrison Presidential Site

What does it mean to be a Citizen? Find out at the home of Indiana's only US President.

Did you know...

• President Benjamin Harrison is the reason you recite the Pledge of Allegiance
  • Benjamin Harrison is the reason your school flies the U.S. flag

Find out more and work towards your merit badge!

https://scoutingevent.com/?2016HarrisonHouseMBWorkshop

• Upvote 2

Hawken,

I've been trying to get my troop there for a while!  Good to hear it is a good program!

One of my scouts attended Fingerprinting/Crime prevention at the Indiana State Police museum on the East Side of Indianapolis.

They were pretty happy with it! 

Prof

• Upvote 1

When I was in Scouts back in 1999, we spent a day at the San Onofre Nuclear Power Plant (before it was shut down) over by Camp Pendleton. We went through the whole facility, including demonstrations of how powerful the outer shells were, the amount of energy it could generate, and more. We wore hard hats, got special badges, and completed the Atomic Energy merit badge, as it was called back then. It was the last badge I earned, and it was definitely one of my more memorable experiences in Scouting.

• Upvote 1
17 hours ago, prof said:

One of my scouts attended Fingerprinting/Crime prevention at the Indiana State Police museum on the East Side of Indianapolis

That's on our list for a future trip! Good to know it was worth it.

• Upvote 1