I figured this might be a good place to begin. After reading through the requirements (see below for all requirements), it seems that they haven't exactly put enough thought into the impact on scouts and advancement. I have no problem with any of the requirements (in fact, overall I feel it's probably insufficient and too easy, IMHO) except #4. Teaching to your troop via the EDGE method seems fine for small groups, but when you give a total of 4 possible exercises and we have a group of 30+ scouts from 6th-8th grade, it sorta makes it difficult to teach. The best solution I can see is to break up groups into 4s or less and have them accomplish #4 within these groups. However, this seems to violate the letter (if not the spirit) of the requirement. In order to accomplish this as written, each scout each year would have to teach another patrol 1 of the 4 lessons. With 30+ people in 4 patrols (just the 6th-8th graders), this doesn't seem feasible and/or will be significantly repetitious. 

Lastly it states "Teach your Troop or another Patrol..." but then later states "Your Patrol members will be your students." AND "Each member of the Patrol must have a role and present part of the lesson." So...how exactly do you teach ANOTHER patrol when YOUR Patrol is supposed to be the students?

I'm interested to see others' implementations of this portion of the requirements.

Requirements:
1. Read, commit to, and sign the Internet Safety Pledge on your Level II Cyber Chip (green card). You can purchase your Cyber Chip card from your local Scout Shop or online at www.scoutstuff.org.

2. Write and sign a personalized contract with your parent or guardian that outlines rules for using the computer and mobile devices, including what you can download, what you can post, and consequences for inappropriate use.

3. Watch the video “Friend or Fake?” and 2 more videos of your choosing to see how friends can help each other stay safer online.

4. Teach your Troop or another Patrol about Internet safety rules and appropriate online behavior using Mini Activities of your choosing. You will play the part of the teacher. Your Patrol members will be your students. Be sure to refer to the EDGE method for teaching techniques. Each member of the Patrol must have a role and present part of the lesson. You are encouraged to use any additional material and information you have researched.

5. Talk to your unit leader about the acceptable standards and practices for using allowed electronic devices, such as phones and games, at your meetings and other Scouting events.

Edited by BQZip
missed a question

My opinion is that the whole CyberChip curriculum needs to be rewritten and designed to be a Unit-wide activity.  There should be better videos (some of which I already show to my Troop anyway), and then a group discussion with topics led by a moderator (SPL). Something that is important enough that it is required for Rank Advancement needs to be crafted to be useful and more easily implemented.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The intent is good but (shockingly) the execution or desired execution is lacking.  As with many initiatives the ones that design the program have not really been to an actual meeting with actual scouts (not a handpicked group)

We use the group method as you indicate and interpret the "present" portion as answering questions and participating

• 2 years later...
On 3/21/2018 at 12:47 PM, Jameson76 said:

The intent is good but (shockingly) the execution or desired execution is lacking.  As with many initiatives the ones that design the program have not really been to an actual meeting with actual scouts (not a handpicked group)

We use the group method as you indicate and interpret the "present" portion as answering questions and participating

When I worked at Scout Shop and commented on the higher expense for the Cyber Chip patch, I was told it's because BSA contracted with an outside company for the  entire Cyber Chip program.  So I'm sure you're right about them having zero insight into scouting.