Boy Scout with Downs Sydrome, Autism Rejected for Eagle Scout

1 hour ago, perdidochas said:

BSA loses in the court of public opinion, no matter what the outcome is.  

I dunno, I was able to improve a friend's opinion after a he reposted the first story on his FB page. As much as someone would like to believe that BSA is a heartless beurarcracy, they are more willing to believe ambulance chasers will make a media stink if they see themselves losing in civil court.

Tell your friends "Utah Law Firm Preys on Downs Syndrome Scout and His Family"

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

One of the methods of Scouting and the MB program is "adult association"...the SCOUT is expected to take the initiative to contact an adult he may not know, who is supposed to be an "expert" in the fi

I received an invitation to be mB counselor for a neighboring district's mB college. They specifically stated that the scouts were to be able to complete the badges in a 3-hour seminar. I politely dec

I have finally found a few friends in Utah who know this situation personally, both on the side of the family and a few people working in the council (it helps being part of the tight-knit LDS communi

Wait ... what exactly are people funding in this campaign? Lawyers' fees? Project costs? I am highly suspicious of this family's capitalizing off of their 15 minutes of fame. I need to contact my sources again and find out what is going on here.

They were on our local news last night (canned national story).  Lead into the story was “BSA admits they errored” but when you listen to the story it only said that BSA stated there was confusion.  It could easily been taken that Logan’s parents miss understood the message.  Who know but I’m not sure why this is still national news. This lawyer seems to be milking this for as much fame as he can get.  I think he is probably disappointed the BSA didn’t fight.   

The BSA didn't fight because there was nothing for them TO fight.The family interpreted the BSA's actions as revoking the boy's merit badges and demoting him in rank - neither of which happened. The ONLY legitimate, policy-related error on the BSA's part was at the Council level - they didn't follow the correct procedures for dealing with Scouts with disabilities, so when they had to take his advancement to the next step, at the National level, they found they had to go back and re-assess how they would proceed with his progress. The family, completely misunderstanding this (due to very poor communication) thought that all their efforts had been in vain, called in their lawyers, and made a huge fuss, which I am sure the lawyers were eager to capitalize on.

But that was not what happened. Eventually (not soon enough), the legal team, who knew nothing about how the BSA functions and what its policies were, came to understand that nothing illegal had happened, that the BSA has a host of legal policies in place to help and protect Scouts with disabilities, and that they actually had no legal case - at the National level, the BSA had nothing to fight. But they were nice enough to apologize for the confusion anyway, even though it was a Council error. Naturally however, in today's climate that relected poorly on the organization as a whole, so in a way National had to step in and comment. But ultimately poor communication is not "discrimination," so right now I think the family is just grasping at straws trying to glean whatever gain they can from this whole fiasco before people finally lose interest in the whole debacle. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1