Boy Scout with Downs Sydrome, Autism Rejected for Eagle Scout

3 minutes ago, DuctTape said:

I received an invitation to be mB counselor for a neighboring district's mB college. They specifically stated that the scouts were to be able to complete the badges in a 3-hour seminar. I politely declined and gave my reason as "Three hours is not nearly enough time to provide to the scouts to complete the requirements as written. Secondly, this format and time limit denies the scouts the opportunity to truly benefit from the adult association method and to really engage in the mB itself."

What merit badge did they ask you to teach?  Just curious, as I can't think of any that could be completed in such a short time frame off the top of my head.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

One of the methods of Scouting and the MB program is "adult association"...the SCOUT is expected to take the initiative to contact an adult he may not know, who is supposed to be an "expert" in the fi

I received an invitation to be mB counselor for a neighboring district's mB college. They specifically stated that the scouts were to be able to complete the badges in a 3-hour seminar. I politely dec

I have finally found a few friends in Utah who know this situation personally, both on the side of the family and a few people working in the council (it helps being part of the tight-knit LDS communi

48 minutes ago, cyphertext said:

What merit badge did they ask you to teach?  Just curious, as I can't think of any that could be completed in such a short time frame off the top of my head.

Genealogy. While the majority of the requirements can be done by the scout "before" the session, I feel the scout gets zero benefit of the research techniques, software, interview questions, etc... I as the counselor have to offer.

• Upvote 1
28 minutes ago, DuctTape said:

Genealogy. While the majority of the requirements can be done by the scout "before" the session, I feel the scout gets zero benefit of the research techniques, software, interview questions, etc... I as the counselor have to offer.

Done over 3 or 3 sessions this can be a really good one.

Thanks to everyone for the input about the boy scout with autism.  It just struck me as such a sad story, and I feel bad for him.

In regards to the Merit Badge Colleges/Fairs - has any thought been given to the merit badge requirements being an incentive for these organizations?  I have been looking over the merit badge requirements, and they seem overly complicated and elaborate to me.

The merit badge requirements as written seemed to encourage shortcuts (like MB Colleges) or for a scout to spend most of his time away from the troop if he wants to earn then in a valid manner.  Maybe simpler more straightforward requirements might take away the incentive for MB colleges.

I know am missing something here, but just want to get a better idea.

8 minutes ago, UncleP said:

... In regards to the Merit Badge Colleges/Fairs - has any thought been given to the merit badge requirements being an incentive for these organizations? ...

I know am missing something here, but just want to get a better idea.

It often feels like a class is needed to help boys disentangle the verbiage in each badge. You're not wrong about that. How, in our litigious society, do we convince professionals (who are painfully aware of the nature of our litigious society) to write plainly? That is a question worth half the cost of each pamphlet!

Farm Mechanics.  At least two sessions, one in my workshop/back deck bench, working with handtools. Then we go next door to a neighbor's, who has a real tractor to look at and crawl around on. Learn what a Zerk fitting is, meshing gears.    In between, they have homework, to find a tractor or a RIDING MOWER , not a hand pusher even with a motor. They are to change the oil and lubricate the turning parts.  Extra credit if they can take off the blades and sharpen them, as they saw me do the first session, with a hand file .  Second session, we go and visit a farm implement and tractor dealer.  Big things taken apart, belts, gears, sharp moving parts.   Thank you , Gladhill brothers.   And we discuss what a good workshop might include/look like.  

22 minutes ago, Eagle94-A1 said:

This story keeps getting more odd. How often does the National Disabilities Advancement Team step over local Council and the Troop and get directly involved with a scout's advancement?  :confused:

Edited by RememberSchiff

Also I want to apologize to @Scoutmaster Teddy for being over defensive regarding college students. I remember the disrespect I got from some Scouters, some with less experience in the movement than I had at the time,  all due to my age. Add to that what has been going on with my troop, i.e. "The Scouts aren't ready to lead," and it I get overly sensitive.

• Thanks 1
14 minutes ago, RememberSchiff said:

This story keeps getting more odd. How often does the National Disabilities Advancement Team step over local Council and the Troop and get directly involved with a scout's advancement?  :confused:

IMHO, I an guessing someone at the troop/council royally screwed up, and the only way to resolve the situation was to get the national team to intervene. 

I am surprised that the BSA has let this young man down Leadership at the troop, council or national is to blame. The BSA has left its values long ago by allowing any youth based on what they identify as (the transgender issue) and even have a merit badge labeled 'Disability Awareness'. I was a Scoutmaster for over ten years and have even served as a professional scouter 'District Executive' and I find that the BSA has lost its way along the path and the Eagle has turned out to be a sparrow. To see the sadness in this young man's face hurts and I truly believe this is leadership failure. Way to go BSA.

• Confused 1

Gee. A party that filed a lawsuit and ran straight to the press misrepresented the actual facts of the situation (the scout kept his merit badges, and was never "demoted" to Cub Scout). Call the press (again!), since that's the real shocker of the day.

Edited by LVAllen
36 minutes ago, LVAllen said:

Gee. A party that filed a lawsuit and ran straight to the press misrepresented the actual facts of the situation (the scout kept his merit badges, and was never "demoted" to Cub Scout). Call the press (again!), since that's the real shocker of the day.

What ?  A lawyer didn't tell the truth?  I am shocked,  shocked !