Boy Scout with Downs Sydrome, Autism Rejected for Eagle Scout

Attached is a link to a article about a Boy Scout with Dows Syndrome and Autism whose application for Eagle Scout has been rejected.

Does anyone know anything more on this issue?

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/father-sues-boy-scouts-america-rejecting-15-year-old-son-syndrome-autism-eagle-scout-153042248.html

Edited by UncleP
Spelling mistakes
  • Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

One of the methods of Scouting and the MB program is "adult association"...the SCOUT is expected to take the initiative to contact an adult he may not know, who is supposed to be an "expert" in the fi

I received an invitation to be mB counselor for a neighboring district's mB college. They specifically stated that the scouts were to be able to complete the badges in a 3-hour seminar. I politely dec

I have finally found a few friends in Utah who know this situation personally, both on the side of the family and a few people working in the council (it helps being part of the tight-knit LDS communi

This has been a topic of conversation on Facebook. There is a lot of confusion due to the terminology used by the dad in some previousreports. A lot of information is being left out of this and the previous articles IMHO.

BSA has a program where Special Needs Scouts can advance. There are procedures in place that need to be followed. I knew a 44 year blind special needs SCOUT ( emphasis) who earned Eagle. Mentally he was about 13 or 14.

Utah National Parks Council viewpoint
Mar 13, 2018

Boy Scouts of America is Dedicated to Assisting Scouts with Disabilities

Updated 3/15/2018

Boy Scouts of America, Press Release

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

“Since its founding in 1910, the Boy Scouts of America has served youth members with physical, mental, and emotional disabilities. Scouting is uniquely positioned among youth programs to meet the needs of Scouts with disabilities by providing diverse programs and social experiences. The Utah National Parks Council has worked closely with this young man and his family to deliver a positive experience in our programs.”

On background, please understand we cannot discuss ongoing litigation.

http://blog.utahscouts.org/building-youth/utah-national-parks-council-dedicated-assist-scouts-disabilities/

Father's viewpoint in video below:

Edited by RememberSchiff

We had a young man with pretty severe Downs become an Eagle scout a while back.  Lots of paperwork to get the right dispensations.  I have to say I was happy witth the outcome but really disappointed with some of the reactions of some of my fellow scouters outside the troop.

Best guess, the local guys got out over their skis with their approvals, and didn't give the family a realistic view of the possible obstacles they could encounter.

That National got involved before all the paperwork was submitted would indicate someone locally was unhappy and made a complaint over the heads of the local Council.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

So the family is sueing the Boy Scouts that will cost them thousands, and will take away from making the program better?

The only reason this is a issue because their local council probably didn’t want to deal with all the paperwork and didn’t believe in what National has set place and made their own rules. 

I wonder if the MBCs were only his parents and/or Troop parents. 

I feel badly for the parents, it’s not their fault, they did everything they could to ensure it would be done correctly (and assumed it was). It’s the councils fault that should be taking the blame.

I can also see why national wanted to strip all of his badges, since even his father said he couldn’t do some requirements, and from what I got from the articles they didn’t file for alternative requirement.

Edited by ItsBrian

I think someone at the local council, whether the pack and/or troop, or the council screwed up. It appears that the Scout has been registered as a Cub Scout all this time, and as a result ineligible for Boy Scout awards. I wonder why the council has not caught the problem earlier. Realistically he can stay a Boy Scout past his 18th birthday with the required paperwork. As stated previously, I've seen a 44 year old BOY (emphasis) Scout who not only had Down's Syndrome, but also legally blind earn his Eagle.

Gut feeling: National and Local Council will review the situation to find out what went wrong. Depending upon what happened, I bet the boy will be retroactively made a Boy Scout, retroactively earned the awards he has earned, and will get the project approved, and eventually earn Eagle. From what I know of national, they A) do not allow adults' mistakes to affect youth (whether for good or bad is another question), and B) When the word "lawsuit" happens, they cave.

• Upvote 3

There seems to be some confusion here. Even scouts with special needs don't get merit badges for just trying. 

There is a process for making adjustments to the merit badge requirements to accommodate special needs scouts, but the requirements are still challenging and involve real learning. The boys must earn their merit badges.

Anything else would be a slap in the face to all the other special needs scouts who earned their awards.

• Upvote 1
43 minutes ago, David CO said:

There seems to be some confusion here. Even scouts with special needs don't get merit badges for just trying. 

There is a process for making adjustments to the merit badge requirements to accommodate special needs scouts, but the requirements are still challenging and involve real learning. The boys must earn their merit badges.

Anything else would be a slap in the face to all the other special needs scouts who earned their awards.

Exactly. If BSA just handed out merit badges it would make them look like they think special needs kids are “dumb and can’t do anything.” I standby by BSA when it comes providing different requirements or more help for a merit badge, but just handing it out  isn’t the right thing.

2 hours ago, Scoutmaster Teddy said:

Only my Scouts. But that's okay. We can do them all in the Troop.

I know atleast I would show up either way. It’s only the eagle mill troops that wouldn’t should up.

8 hours ago, Scoutmaster Teddy said:

That's one reason why I'm considering disallowing Eagle-required MBs at MB mills.

I don't think you can do that...  If the MB counselor is registered and approved by your council advancement committee, then you have no legitimate reason to not issue the Scout the blue card.  

• Upvote 2
3 hours ago, cyphertext said:

I don't think you can do that...  If the MB counselor is registered and approved by your council advancement committee, then you have no legitimate reason to not issue the Scout the blue card.  

He means from now on that at MB colleges, events, fairs, he may not offer eagle required badges.