Advancment tracking using off-the-shelf cloud-tech

I was just thinking about how the Scout Book app is a ways from keeping up with patrol-method requirements tracking. (E.g. PL's can't sign-off on requirements. Although they claim they may add the feature at some point.)

Consider the following low-brow high-tech procedure:

• Each scout (or his parent) creates an account on the cloud (e.g. Google Drive) ... maybe with a folder labeled 'Rank Advancement '.
  • The scout gives 'read' rights to the folder to his SM, advancement chair, and parents.
  • After some requirements get signed off in his hand book, scout saves a photo of that page to his drive. The photo might be named 'Second Class', same as any previous photos for the same rank. That way, as he posts updates, the old ones are archived.
  • He could also save photos of his participation diary, miles hiked, etc ...
  • He could have a photo of his completed blue cards as well.
  • In advance of his conference, the SM could bring up the scouts photo for that rank. He could then cross-check the book, if necessary.
  • End of conference, he snaps a picture of the page and shares it with the advancement chair. BoR transpires. Advancement is filed by the current means.

If the PL wants to plan activities, he can go through boys' pages and see if a few need something in common. Or he can look through everyone's picture of MBs and see if someone did something cool. If not, he could just ask at a meeting, but where's the fun in that?

If the BSHB is lost, the leaders can rebuild from the scouts' most recent photos.

Advancement track: done. Personal responsibility: taught. Teamwork: shared.

Money otherwise spent on software: dutch oven pizza party!

Edited by qwazse

Good concept, might take a bit more structure to work across a wide user base.

I've thought about this type of solution as well. Maybe form based with all the requirements by rank provided to be checked off/filled out/initialed. Then attach a photo of the relevant BSHB page. Conflict or questions about completions? Photo takes priority.

Using something like Google Forms also creates a database of the info so it can be used for purposes such as tracking, status updates, verification of group activities, etc.

What would be interesting to see is how quickly someone could put something more applicable together for Troops compared to all the promised but yet unrealized developments in Scoutbook.

• Thanks 1
22 hours ago, numbersnerd said:

Good concept, might take a bit more structure to work across a wide user base.

I've thought about this type of solution as well. Maybe form based with all the requirements by rank provided to be checked off/filled out/initialed. Then attach a photo of the relevant BSHB page. Conflict or questions about completions? Photo takes priority.

Using something like Google Forms also creates a database of the info so it can be used for purposes such as tracking, status updates, verification of group activities, etc.

What would be interesting to see is how quickly someone could put something more applicable together for Troops compared to all the promised but yet unrealized developments in Scoutbook.

@numbersnerd, I'm not particularly concerned about a wide base ... just those who want to keep accountability in the hands of your best-trained boys, and use adults as back-up.

Thus, although I like using on-line forms for crew sign-ups because my venturers were learning how to operate a club, I don't like it (or other online form tools) for troop sign-ups because it seems to take control from the scouts. Right now, we are experiencing a bit of a renaissance because we have our web-master copy info from sign-up sheets and sync it with the online sign-up. I don't suspect the next webmaster will be as meticulous. These positions come in waves.

Obviously, the killer app would "read" the image of the photographed page and file each sign-off in an appropriate category. But, who needs that much detail at their fingertips, really?

On 3/16/2018 at 11:41 AM, qwazse said:

Consider the following low-brow high-tech procedure:

I'm responding in my view ... not representing everyone.

• Minor issue ... I fear your solution would require a tech admin focusing and solving issues continually.  If you have 50 scouts and each has a folder, granting rights, uploading, downloading, who has uploaded what recently, etc.  ... I just fear we'd need extensive tech support to keep this running smooth.
  • More significant ... The scouts that need intensive checking of requirements are 10, 11 and 12 years old.  They may or may not have a phone, but I'd absolutely not want them to have a laptop at the meeting.   Getting them setup correctly may be difficult.   
  • More significant ... As a parent, I want to delay and lower how much my kids are online.  When they are with people, I want them working face-to-face.  Not face-to-screen-to-other-screen-to-other-person.  
  • More significant ... We've had scout unit web sites for years.  Often, many families never use the site or rarely use the site.  Does that mean we are telling those families to gear up or get out?  Is it even an issue within the control of the scout?  Or is it really a bigger family issue that is beyond what an 11 year old should be handling?  
  • My biggest issue ... Focus of scouting should be on doing things.  Camping.  Games.  Activities.  Advancement needs to like the experienced scout leader that tries to stand outside the activities looking in and only minimally injecting themselves as necessary.  I fear that your solution promotes advancement to the forefront of scouting activities.  Scouting for advancement.  IMHO, that's just not the way to do it.

IMHO, scouts should be able to accomplish everything with the lowest common denominator ... at the meetings ... at the camp outs .. without parent support ... without high tech equipment.  

The absolute best way for scouts to track advancement is in their paper scoutbook.  If it's lost, it's pretty easy to re-create or handle without much damage to the scout.  Plus, it's re synchronized with each rank award.   Once they earn the rank, no one really needs to look backward except out of curiosity.  

I must admit that I have absolutely no issue with ASMs or SMs helping sign off advancement.  And, I think I can defend that well.  But it's a different topic.

Edited by fred johnson