Requirements for Swimming MB Counselor

Hello all!

I am hoping that someone here could give me some specific information on the requirements for an adult to be approved as a merit badge counselor for swimming. I am not able to find details about required certifications and training.

Here is our troop's situation: there are no swimming MB counselors in our district, which is fairly rural. The nearest one we know if is in another district over an hour away, which is difficult logistically for many of our boys. As a result, our boys have no opportunity to qualify for the badge except during summer camp. Not all boys can make it to camp; maybe we go to camp and it rains all week... you get the idea. So I am hoping to try to find people who would be able and willing to register as MB counselors closer to home. We have talked with our Scoutmaster who has gotten conflicting answers about what is required: some have said that a person must be a current swimming coach or have completed the ARC/WSI class. Others have said that BSA Lifeguarding certification is sufficient. And others have said that the BSA Aquatics Supervision : Swimming & Water Rescue class could qualify.

The very least I am able to gather from this is that an adult without formal training (but who is a personally strong swimmer and could complete the requirements of the badge themselves) cannot serve as a counselor, even if the counseling and testing takes place in a regular pool with a lifeguard on duty. Is this correct?

I'm grateful for any input, before I try to recruit folks to apply who may not be qualified/approved.

Thanks.

General Supervision Requirements

• Swimming and watercraft activities must be conducted in accordance with BSA Safe Swim Defense or BSA Safety Afloat, respectively, and be supervised by mature and conscientious adults at least 21 years old and trained in the program applicable. Counselors for merit badges involving swimming or the use of watercraft must be so trained, or use others who are.

All I could find online, I would contact council or your districts merit badge dean.

25 minutes ago, David CO said:

Regardless of what BSA might require, I would want my boys taught by a skilled, trained, and experienced professional. Nothing less would suffice for me.

Agreed, I would expect a MBC to  be a professional swimmer, life guard, aquatic supervisor, etc.

Edited by ItsBrian

From the BSA  aquatics staff guide:

To qualify as a merit badge counselor, a volunteer must:

• Register annually with the Boy Scouts of America.

• Be at least 18 years old. • Be of good character.

• Be proficient in the merit badge subject by vocation, avocation, or special training.

• Be able to work with Scout-age youth.

I think that's about it.

At bare minimum, a Swimming MB instructor should be Lifeguard Certified (ARC, YMCA or BSA)...again, that should be a bare minimum standard.

A caveat to that, is that the person should be fully Lifeguard Certified and not hold the shallow water "lifeguard" certification, which in my opinion, the American Red Cross should not even offer.

ARC WSI (Water Safety Instructor) is a more ideal standard for swimming MB counselors. Competitive swimming and coaching experience is most definitely a huge plus, albeit not completely necessary at the goal is for the boys to become proficient swimmers...not to become the next Michael Phelps.

Just as a fun fact, many of the "lifeguards" at Walt Disney World have only completed Disney's own shallow water certification. They only have to swim 50 yards!! to qualify for that certification...that's kind of a joke. That's not to say all Disney lifeguards are certified for shallow water only, but I would venture to guess that a lot of them are (probably the ones working at the top of the slides and at the lazy rivers). Granted, Disney needs a lot of lifeguards...and all of their guards (at least from what I've seen) do appear to be very vigilant and observant, which is extremely important.

All of this said, let your boys take the merit badge at summer camp. This is practically a rite of passage for boys in their first or second year...don't use "it might rain" as an excuse for the boys in your troop to not take the badge at summer camp and be grateful that they no longer have to do the clothes inflation.

• Upvote 1

If you can team up with a local school or YMCA to have lessons for the community one evening a week, I suspect quite a few able-bodied counselors will come out of the woodwork.

I disagree with @SFF about being content with boys just being able to earn an MB at camp. We are scouters. Generating opportunities year round should be our game.