I plan on doing the cycling merit badge with my mom, but I don’t want people to think that “she just signed off and they did nothing”. I’m not that type of person, neither is my mom.

I was thinking to track all my miles on my phone (A GPS biking app would lay out the routes we took & miles) and I would show my SM and CC to verify I didn’t do anything. 

Do you feel like it is needed to show my SM to verify? I know my SM and CC would believe me, but there are some parents/leaders that wouldn’t.

No. If there are parents who don't trust you, there's no amount of proof (short of them riding on your handlebars) that will convince them otherwise.

And if you are a smart as you seem to be, there's no data that you couldn't fabricate.

Earn the badge old school: scout's honor from the best MBC you can think of. If that person is Mom, so be it.

• Upvote 2

Once the MBC signs off, the MB is earned.  There is a narrow exception in the Guide to Advancement for impossibility.  See GTA 7.0.4.7.

So long as you know you completed the MB as written, you shouldn’t have to worry about the predisposition of some parents.

• Upvote 1
28 minutes ago, RememberSchiff said:

@TuckahoeJoe , welcome to scouter.com

Thanks!

I am an MBC for some MBs.  I am actually tougher with my own son and have him fill out the workbooks (which are not required) for those non-Eagle MBs where I am his MBC and for all others regardless of who is the MBC.  In part, it is to improve his handwriting and to see whether I need to tell him to revisit the MB pamphlet (this happens less as he improves on his research and writing skills).  

It's not just the scout that has this concern.  I hear it from other parent MBCs who are hesitant to sign off on Eagle MBs even with the workbook filled out.

While I do not think it is needed, and I agree with others about your integrity and have no doubt you will complete all the requirements as written, I would encourage you (if possible) to find a different MBC. Not for the reasons of people thinking mom just signed off, but for you.

One of the methods in scouting is adult association and the opportunity for the scout to work with and learn from another adult who is an avid cyclist is the real benefit of the mB program. 

No matter your choice, I am sure you will excel.

all great points.  especially about using a different MBC if reasonably possible, but that's only for your benefit in working with others.  If mom is registered as a MBC and your SM signed off on your working on the badge, all is good.

I too think it not necessary to record the data for proof, unless that is one of the requirements

but for your own private edification, recording the data might be interesting for you.  Who knows what you might find in the data!  You might set goals for pace, or to beat personal records, , or to find the affects of a headwind vs a tailwind, or design a route in an interesting shape that will plot a secret message when you print the map....  all sorts of side possibilities to make things interesting for YOU.

I don't do this as much as I used to but in the days before smartphones and digital maps I used to love to go out and explore, then go back and study a map to see where I'd been.  Sometimes it was hiking trails, or on urban walks.  I always did this when I moved to a new city.  I'd head out on a weekend day when I had lots of time and drive around town.  This was back in the days of paper maps.  I'd have a map with me so I wouldn't get totally lost, but I had no set destination.  I'd just drive around for a look-see.  Then when I got home I'd re-trace my route on the map.  Sometimes I'd do this for a few different days searching different parts of town.   Great way to learn a new area and to enhance you sense of direction. 

• Upvote 1

This is a life lesson situation.  As a person of good conscious, you will make decisions to preserve your reputation.  I say this as you not only want to be a good person, but you want to be perceived as a good person.  It will recur during your life with situations that are fine and situations that might be close to the line.  

• Parents as MBC is fine.  Parents often expect more of their own scouts than generic leaders.  I know with my own sons they "EARNED" their badge and it was often a whole summer project.  For their Eagle projects, my influence probably grew their project 200%.  
    • Some parents will skirt the details to make it easier.  
  • Most adults will have no qualms with MBs council'ed by parents ... as long as it is not too many or too many Eagle badges. 
    • Some parents will gossip and make innuendos.  You can't control that.  

So you need to make your decision on how you want to proceed.  You can absolutely use your parent as a coach without any guilt.  But you may want to go the extra step and find a separate coach to avoid cheap comments.  Either is fine.  My only comment that remains is 

• If you are asking this question about whether using a parent is okay as a MBC, then ... in the back of your mind ... do you see or have you seen situations where slights or comments are made about parents as MBCs?  If so, maybe you want to find a different MBC than your parent.  

It is absolutely your choice. 

• Upvote 2
14 hours ago, ItsBrian said:

I plan on doing the cycling merit badge with my mom, but I don’t want people to think that “she just signed off and they did nothing”. I’m not that type of person, neither is my mom.

I was thinking to track all my miles on my phone (A GPS biking app would lay out the routes we took & miles) and I would show my SM and CC to verify I didn’t do anything. 

Do you feel like it is needed to show my SM to verify? I know my SM and CC would believe me, but there are some parents/leaders that wouldn’t.

The general rule in my troop is that a parent can't be solely a MBC for their son (meaning that we prefer that Scouts do a MB with an MB buddy, when they are working with their parent), and that if there are alternative counselors in the Troop, they use them instead.  I was the only MB counselor we had for Environmental Science (I'm a former science teacher), and most of the nature badges.  My sons did those with me, but in the case of Environmental science, I conduced a Enviro Science class one night a week in addition to the meeting.  Talk to your SM about it. He's the one who signs the blue card.  

I like @perdidochas's point. Bring a buddy. Shoot, arrange a bike hike with your entire troop, if possible.

I favor a boy earning one or two badges from his folks because years from now those blue cards (if they manage to be preserved that long) will bring up fond memories. It's amazing what seeing a parent's or a friend's signature again after a few decades can do for one's mental health. So much other stuff that I've wasted space on, I'd never miss.

Edited by qwazse

Are there other cycling MBCs in your area that you could meet with?   If so, it might be nice to meet one to expand your personal network.   I think tracking on GPS is a cool idea for your record keeping even if you don't need it for the badge.  Good luck and have fun!

• Upvote 1

I'm ok with it (and so is BSA) as long as Mom is a registered MBC with the Council and is an "expert" in the field being counselled.  She must also have YPT training.  Same rules as for anyone else.

I think this MB is great for a group.  My son's troop did it, and they participated in a 50 mile ride for Cancer at the end.  The group that participated met each week for rides and to train to build up for the Cancer ride.  It was an awesome experience for the boys.