Outdoor Code for Non-Americans

I have 8 boys in my den. Only 2 are presently legal American citizens; the others are immigrant citizens of Mexico, China, and Taiwan. But I tell them that since they will grow up in this country, and live under this nation's laws, they should consider themselves Americans, and that they have a responsibility to this country that is giving them and their families so many of the opportunities they enjoy. If they live here in America, I tell them, then they should feel a part of the great tapestry of this country, and that comes with inherent duties which they should feel the need to fulfil. Not only do the boys respond well to this idea, but I have had parents thank me for helping their sons feel that they have a place here that they didn't feel they had before, and I have had a few mention that their performance at school and their relationships with their peers has improved since developing the idea that they have a legitimate and important place in this country. I think that's one of the most important things Scouting can do for those who are new to our nation.

• Upvote 4
  • Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I would tell the Scouts they have the option of saying what they want there, within reason obviously.  This also raises the question of why "As an American" is in there at all.  The Scout Oath and Law

I have 8 boys in my den. Only 2 are presently legal American citizens; the others are immigrant citizens of Mexico, China, and Taiwan. But I tell them that since they will grow up in this country, and

You don't.

On 3/12/2018 at 3:40 PM, David CO said:

How about, "As a guest, I will do my best..."

It rhymes. It also conveys the message that, as a guest of this country, they should do their best not to mess it up.

i like this one....

As an Huperson, I will do my best (as defined within the local area and in no way to be interpreted as implying other cultures may not strive to do their best) to
Be clean (as defined within the local area and in no way to be interpreted as implying other cultures may not be clean) in my outdoor manners
Be careful (as defined within the local area and in no way to be interpreted as implying other cultures may not be careful) with fire
Be considerate (as defined within the local area and in no way to be interpreted as implying other cultures may not be considerate) in the outdoors
Be conservation-minded (as defined within the local area and in no way to be interpreted as implying other cultures may not be conservation minded)

On 3/12/2018 at 3:40 PM, David CO said:

How about, "As a guest, I will do my best..."

It rhymes. It also conveys the message that, as a guest of this country, they should do their best not to mess it up.

i like this one....

• Confused 1
1 hour ago, SouthernTierScouter said:

We actually don't know why you have to be an American to care about this sort of thing. It was just suggested me to this past weekend at a council training event we use "As a Citizen of the World..." to replace, "As an American..."

because people in Europe, Asia, Antarctica, Africa, and Australia don't care about such things, don'y ya know ;)

2 hours ago, SouthernTierScouter said:

We actually don't know why you have to be an American to care about this sort of thing. It was just suggested me to this past weekend at a council training event we use "As a Citizen of the World..." to replace, "As an American..."

Image result for citizen of the world

1 hour ago, NJCubScouter said:

Some of our threads go wrong.  Some of them go really wrong.  And then, in the worst case, some of them devolve into puns.

I'm sorry for any pain inflicted. I saw the sculpture, typed the pun, considered canceling. and thought, too marbleous to not submit.

Now where were we? Oh yes ... citizens of the world ... outdoors  and national boundaries ... where no man has gone before ...

*sigh*

""I will do my best to - Be clean in my outdoor manners,

Be careful with fire,

Be considerate in the outdoors, and

Be conservation minded. ""

Now, all one has to do is define "considerate", "clean" and "conservation minded."   ;)

6 hours ago, NJCubScouter said:

I actually prefer "As a citizen of the world."  I don't expect that to be a very popular view here.  But the "outdoors" does not begin or end at a national boundary.

Why stop there? How about Citizen of the Galaxy?