Supplemental Training for Youth Leaders

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Only once a year photo update? I'd suggest you need to go for more than that. We are moving to, if we're not already at, a world where if an organisation is not on the internet they may as well n

I agree. We get about 1/4 of our new member 'traffic' from web searches almost never from "Be a Scout". The adventure picks and summer camps snaps need to be there and if the pictures are too dated it

I view troop web sites and Facebook existing to keep parents happy.  If it's not there, parents complain.  But if it is there, they may or may not use it.  It's just an expectation of doing business t

Posted Images

I think if you start down the path of trying to find the right electronic communication mechanism, you'll always be chasing that.

You need to have a public presence for recruiting.  Families who are shopping don't know your program - so you have to serve that audience.

Within the troop, you have more freedom.  I don't think you need multiple platforms - email, facebook, website, instagram, twitter, etc...  If you have scouts that are really having fun, scouts and parents will adjust to your system.  It could be just emails, paper letters, a website, whatever.  The key here is just be organized and consistent.  Have a system for distributing information about cancellations quickly.

24 minutes ago, walk in the woods said:

I think this is the key word and tricky phrase.

Absolutely correct on needing multiple platforms

When we started the original website many years ago, that was a huge step.  Then we went onto the SOAR site build, linked PayPal and that was great new thing.  Then for summer camp we went away from paper registration forms to Google docs, again step forward.  Then about 6 years ago added Facebook for photos, again better presence, more visibility.  Then we realized we were not communicating with the scouts, talked with them, we launched an Instagram feed.  

It is evolving as FB has really moved away from youth and more to parents.  Instagram may (likely will??) be passe' in a few years and we will be on to something else

Edited by Jameson76
  • Upvote 1
45 minutes ago, Jameson76 said:

Absolutely correct on needing multiple platforms

When we started the original website many years ago, that was a huge step.  Then we went onto the SOAR site build, linked PayPal and that was great new thing.  Then for summer camp we went away from paper registration forms to Google docs, again step forward.  Then about 6 years ago added Facebook for photos, again better presence, more visibility.  Then we realized we were not communicating with the scouts, talked with them, we launched an Instagram feed.  

It is evolving as FB has really moved away from youth and more to parents.  Instagram may (likely will??) be passe' in a few years and we will be on to something else

Sounds very close to our troop.  Hand built web --> SOAR --> Google docs --> Facebook (public marketing) ...

My key is parents want accurate info.  So SOAR and Facebook are for the parents.  Scouts communicate to scouts and we've just given up control to let them choose how to communicate.  Some call each other.  Lots of them have a massive group text.  Others email.  From what I've seen, as long as it stays "appropriate", I'm going to stay out of their communication paths.