1 hour ago, sierracharliescouter said:

we have a dad who is willing to cut boats from a high density foam, which is why i'm looking for the spec width.

The sailboat kit consists of a seven-inch (178 mm) long balsa wood hull, a 6-1/2 inch mast, plastic sail, plastic rudder, and metal keel.”

source: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raingutter_regatta

Our Pack had instituted RR as some summertime event where boys got the balsa wood kit the day of the event and went at it right there and then. By the time we got around, it was usually 4-6 boys participating. If you even knew it was happening. Very dispiriting.

I changed it to the first Pack-wide event after recruiting was done. A way for new and old to meet and introduce people. But the kits were problematic. So we did away with them. Donated pool noodles cut in half length wise, approx 10" long serve as hulls. Bendy Straws and foam sheets are masts and sails. Pencils and dowels make the holes in the materials. Stickers and markers personalize the craft. And they all fit in the actual gutters we use.

Multiple revisions ensue throughout the day. No organized races, no trophies, no awards. Just boys building, experimenting, competing against one another. They make up the agreed upon "rules" of the day. They decide who and how they race. Nobody walks away unhappy. The thrill in crafting a boat that floats and can be propelled down the raceway is the goal. Learning from and comparing to other boys adds to the fun. It's a great start to the program year and involves none of the hassle and officialdom that dominates PWD.

Edited by numbersnerd
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

@Eagle1993

Planning? That mainly consists of cutting noodles and buying supplies. We already have a gutter raceway  built. Two 15 ft lengths sealed on the ends, mounted on a frame. They sit on sawhorses. 

Day of? I allow 2-3 hrs for the event. A come  and go affair. We also set up our air rocket launchers for additional fun. It's more of a mixer than a competition. Returning Scouts reconnect, new Scouts and families see our group and get an intro to our Pack.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I ran a come and go regatta once for a pack meeting.... bought swimming pool noodles and precut pieces.  Brought those in along with sticks for masts and foam sheets for sails.... some decorating supplies..... gave the boys some period of time....10-15 minutes maybe to build their boats

no rules

nobody timing them, get in line when you're ready and go

no elimination or formal winners

just get in line and race..... as many times as they wanted, against whoever they wanted.... asked a DL to be the finish line judge at each set of gutters, mainly just to cheer them on and keep things moving

Good time I think, based on the sound levels

• Upvote 1