Swimming Merit Badge Questions

4 minutes ago, Eagledad said:

Subjective is an opinion. Objective is impartial. 

Barry

Subjective evaluations are also impartial, unless the instructor is actually cheating.

If an instructor is properly trained, a subjective evaluation is much more than just an opinion. Anyone can have an opinion. A highly skilled instructor uses a trained eye to observe and subjectively evaluate a student's performance. 

Edited by David CO
  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Remember the why behind the swimming emphasis in the BSA, it is a needed life skill From 2005-2014, there were an average of 3,536 fatal unintentional drownings (non-boating related) annually i

You should work on improving your swimming.

It's like my Son #2 has an evil twin a decade delayed! That boy got a partial year 1 and held on to it for 6 years without walking down to the nearest aquatics area and completing his surface dives (w

In my work, both are required for a balance procuct.

15 minutes ago, David CO said:

Subjective evaluations are also impartial, unless the instructor is actually cheating.

If an instructor is properly trained, a subjective evaluation is much more than just an opinion. Anyone can have an opinion. A highly skilled instructor uses a trained eye to observe and subjectively evaluate a student's performance. 

I use both professionally every day and I've never seen consistent impartial evaluations of human performance. Machines are consistent, Humans are emotional. Subjectivity changes moment by moment. Objectivity is timeless.

Barry

1 hour ago, Eagledad said:

Subjective is an opinion. Objective is impartial. 

Barry

An informed opinion by a person with expertise is much more valid than an impartial objective metric in evaluating complex, nuanced, context based behaviors.

1 hour ago, DuctTape said:

An informed opinion by a person with expertise is much more valid than an impartial objective metric in evaluating complex, nuanced, context based behaviors.

My son, dad,  and myself were laughing last week as we remember back to the day when we realized that adult experts weren't as expert as we thought they were when we were kids. 

Even experts have emotions. That’s why when technology was capable, sports went to replays and start/finish electronics.

Barry

• Like 1