Jump to content
Cindy121

SPL Charging $ to participate in games at camping event

Recommended Posts

35 minutes ago, David CO said:

 

,,,,boys playing nerdy fantasy card games at scout campouts. Nothing could be more effective at keeping the girls out.

She should see the look on female venturers' faces when I give them a patch from a council/area activity! Something between "What am I supposed to do with this?" to "I am surrounded by dorks!"

  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If an activity causes a lot of disruptive issues it should be within the SM's power to ban. I would talk to the SPL and see if there is a solution. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, NJCubScouter said:

I have never heard of the Magic Draft, but I sure have heard of Magic cards.  They are a plague on Scouting (and on humankind in general) as far as I am concerned. There have been incidents at summer camp of kids stealing cards, charging each other exorbitant amounts (in U.S. $) for cards, and other un-Scoutlike behavior.  I am glad my son never got into that whole thing.

Our guys play Hearts and some other card games.  We even keep a supply of regular playing cards in the trailer for such.  At the lock-in they play some of these, but then that's what the lock-in is for...that and head shot dodge ball

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Jameson76 said:

...that and head shot dodge ball

If I could up vote you 100 times, I would ;)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My SM is a huge game board person, card games, etc. He always has these wacky games that no one has ever heard of but they are so fun!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, cyphertext said:

Kinda like patches at Jambo, huh?

Based on some of the stories I have heard (I've never been there myself), that goes too far as well.  But at least it is Scouting-related.  :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, David CO said:

She thinks that those of us who are opposed to having girls in boy scouting should embrace the idea of boys playing nerdy fantasy card games at scout campouts. Nothing could be more effective at keeping the girls out.

Depends on the girl.  My daughter-in-law very happily accompanies my son to meetings at his old college where they play D&D and other nerdy games.  Nerds in love, it's a beautiful thing.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Jameson76 said:

Our guys play Hearts and some other card games.  We even keep a supply of regular playing cards in the trailer for such.  At the lock-in they play some of these, but then that's what the lock-in is for...that and head shot dodge ball

I think the difference between regular playing cards and Magic cards is that the Magic cards themselves have "collector's value" that seems to make some kids do regrettable things.  The regular playing cards are basically worth the paper (or whatever that is) that they're printed on

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, NJCubScouter said:

Based on some of the stories I have heard (I've never been there myself), that goes too far as well.  But at least it is Scouting-related.  :)

My son told me about a kid who wrapped his shoes in duct tape with the sticky side out and then ran across another scout's trading blanket, trying to pick up patches with the tape as he went through the trading area.  He learned not to put his patches on the ground from that one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/7/2018 at 12:46 PM, Cindy121 said:

I am new to scouting leadership.  A group of parents want to allow the SPL to charge fellow scouts $ to participate in a "Magic Draft" while on a Troop camping outing.  I am very uncomfortable about this on many levels.  One:  Our scouts often can't afford the low price for each event already.  Two:  based on the cost sited, it appears the SPL may be making some money at the event.  Does anyone know by-laws or rules pertaining to this sort of thing within the BSA?  Input on your opinions is also appreciated.

IMHO, it depends on if he's actually making money on this.  I think the scouts should talk to the SPL about it, and ask him how much money he's making on it.  If he's making negligible money (say less than $1 per scout), I wouldn't worry about it. If hes' making serious money (over $1 per scout) or if he refuses to tell them, then your scouts should talk to the SM or an ASM about it.  The other thing is that the above needs to be an option. The SPL still needs to plan an activity for non-participating scouts, or this needs to be a purely free time activity.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Magic is huge in scouting as you can imagine, its an inside game HAHAHA

I see kids all the time at Summer Camp inside the dinning hall playing magic and or Pokémon. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On ‎3‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 9:24 PM, NJCubScouter said:

I have never heard of the Magic Draft, but I sure have heard of Magic cards.  They are a plague on Scouting (and on humankind in general) as far as I am concerned. There have been incidents at summer camp of kids stealing cards, charging each other exorbitant amounts (in U.S. $) for cards, and other un-Scoutlike behavior.  I am glad my son never got into that whole thing.

Sounds like patches as well to me, so we should get rid of them as well.    NEVERMIND someone beat me to he punch, sorry

Edited by JasonG172

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JasonG172 said:

Sounds like patches as well to me, so we should get rid of them as well.    NEVERMIND someone beat me to he punch, sorry

Patches at least relate to Scouting.  If Scouters need to spend time making their Scouts understand the need to act Scoutlike in regard to something that is part of Scouting, that is time well spent.  The magic cards are a distraction that has nothing to do with Scouting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, NJCubScouter said:

Patches at least relate to Scouting.  If Scouters need to spend time making their Scouts understand the need to act Scoutlike in regard to something that is part of Scouting, that is time well spent.  The magic cards are a distraction that has nothing to do with Scouting.

Shouldn't Scouts act Scoutlike and uphold the Scout Oath and Law in all aspects of their lives, not just things that have to do with Scouting?  My son and his group of friends play Magic on camp outs during down time...  They even took Magic cards to Philmont.  Not really much different than Scouts of yore playing Yahtzee or Hearts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×