@Eagle94-A1

Ill see if they want to join this forum.  

Probably shouldn’t run that suggested experiment... I think it probably violates G2SS.  😀

I definitely think there is a variety of Troop cultures and some lead to boys being more accepting of girls than others.  My opinion of girls in scouts goes back to the early 1990s when we had some girls tag along on our high adventure outings (not sure they were called HA then).  We had a great time and all of the boys supported our SMs futal attempt to get them registered.  The Troop we feed already has girls as unofficial members so I’m sure that influences the Boy’s opinion.  

I’ve talked to three SMs in the last 4 days.  The anti BSA4G SM told me none of his boys want this.  One of the pro girl SMs said all of his boys are in support and the other said all but 2.  All live in the same general area and all in the same council... so I just find it interesting to hear the feedback.  I may ask a couple Boy Scouts directly this Saturday when we do SFF.  

In any case, I think the COs should be making decisions based upon their long term strategy and goals.   The boys in the Troop today will eventually move on but the CO will be present indefinitely. In addition, Packs should be watching this as well... they need to ensure any girls they add have a Troop home.

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is pretty much the exact same argument folks had when the BSA announced that it would allow gay boys in Scouts but allow Troops to make their own decision on whether to include gay boys or not. 

It's Tuesday and apparently there was a survey and the survey was of people (families) that are not involved in the Boy Scouts of America  at this time (in fact some do not even live on this planet mu

@Tampa Turtle  Thank you. I am actually not walking away from BSA - BSA walked away from me. I have stayed the same - Scouting has changed. I am not leaving in protest and anger. Rather I am

Posted Images

If anyone is interested, there is a Facebook page for Early Den Adopters.  Several members from National are present and answer questions regarding policy.  They typically give us files and info as soon as it is released to councils.  You don’t need to part of a Pack to join. They do ask a few vetting questions.  

3 hours ago, Eagle1993 said:

I’m wondering where the red line is for LDS in terms of camping.

I won’t try to speak for the LDS church, but for this LDS Scoutmaster the red line is I won’t take my troop to a co-ed BSA summer camp.

3 hours ago, Eagle1993 said:

I’m curious as I expect coed summer camps to exist,

I spoke to my council this week and all cub camps (day and resident) will be coed for all weeks - which is surprising considering just how few early adopters there are.

1 hour ago, Eagle1993 said:

If anyone is interested, there is a Facebook page for Early Den Adopters.

Interested! Please share a link.

As is often the case with gungho parents, I just got drafted to be the Den Leader of our new girl Webelos Den.

• Upvote 1
6 minutes ago, Hawkwin said:

Interested! Please share a link.

As is often the case with gungho parents, I just got drafted to be the Den Leader of our new girl Webelos Den.

I’m not a Facebook expert and can’t seem to find the link. Go to Facebook and search on “Cub Scout Girl Den Early Adopters”.  Great to hear that your taking on that role and good luck!

14 minutes ago, Hawkwin said:

I spoke to my council this week and all cub camps (day and resident) will be coed for all weeks - which is surprising considering just how few early adopters there are.

Same with our council.  I’m not sure if Boy Scout camps will be treated differently next summer.

27 minutes ago, Hawkwin said:

June 1st is go live for all non early adopter councils, although mine is recruiting in May. So everyone should be coed for Cub Scout day camp and resident camp. In fact I found out my day camp was going coed before it's camp director did.

11 hours ago, Jameson76 said:

There is likely little credence to the statements that CO and troops can elect to remain single gender.  No doubt that will change in short order.

4 hours ago, Eagle94-A1 said:

In fact, the only people I've encountered gung ho about girls in Cub Scouts and Boy Scouts are parents. Even the girls I've talked to are not that interested.

I don't think that there would be enough interested girls for all the current troops to go coed, even if they wanted to.

I know one girl who is gung-ho about joining BSA in 2019: my daughter. Problem is I know only one girl: my daughter.  Seems like it will need a minimum of 5-10 girls for a viable patrol or "linked" troop. None of her female schoolmates are interested.  The girls in her GSUSA troop (grades 6-12) don't seem very enthusiastic about camping.  About a month ago I talked with the scoutmasters of the three boy scout troops in our town -- to see if they were aware of any girls eager to join boy scouts, and to sound them out on their attitudes to girls in BSA.  While they were generally positive about girls in BSA,  they had not heard of any other interested girls.  So it seems to me that if we do find enough interested girls in our town, then they had better all join the same BSA4G troop, which means that at most one of the troops in town will have a linked girls troop, leaving the remaining troops strictly single-sex-boy.

That would not be bad.  The boys (or families) wanting a boys-only enviroment would have it available, even while girls are able to start benefitting from the BSA program.

Meanwhile I am trying to learn about the BSA (never been involved before) so that I will be available to volunteer in some capacity if needed.  The training videos on my.scouting.org have been helpful there, as has been reading y'all's discussions on various BSA related subjects.

Edited by Treflienne
fixed typo
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

@Treflienne, I feel your pain. Last year recruiting girls for my crew was a complete bust. There were some things beyond my control. But mainly, the girls who could have pulled together were in different circles of friends, and within those circles they were the only girl interested in hiking and camping.

Your daughter will have to shake quite a few trees to harvest first fruits. This will include figuring out which troop's CO is most enthusiastic about a linked troop, talking to girls older and younger than her who might like the idea, putting up flyers and posters, and talking to strangers. Most of this work will be hers.

Even if she can't find four other girls willing to form patrol alpha, that learning experience will be invaluable. She'll still grow up strong and good.

10 hours ago, gblotter said:

I won’t try to speak for the LDS church, but for this LDS Scoutmaster the red line is I won’t take my troop to a co-ed BSA summer camp.

Do you take them to a BSA Summer camp that staff girls as councilors? I know its not the same, but I would assume it has similar issues.

• Upvote 1
5 minutes ago, scotteg83 said:

Do you take them to a BSA Summer camp that staff girls as councilors? I know its not the same, but I would assume it has similar issues.

Yeah, I have not been to one in the last 5 years that did not have a few young ladies (venturers, sea scouts, foreign exchange scouts) as counselors.

13 hours ago, gblotter said:

Would you take them to a reservation where the boys' troops were assigned a camp on one side of a 250 acre lake, and the BSA4G troops were assigned a camp on the other side of the lake? Camps would have different, largely independent, staff (from director on down - same rangers though). Some facilities (Cope, Shotgun) would be on a red line that's about 400 yards wide.

Just picking your brain for the sake of certain council camping committees who will try to be proactive about this kind of thing. If such an idea is a non-starter, they hopefully won't waste much time it and hustle back to the drawing board.