3 minutes ago, Saltface said:

In the absence of real information, what else are we supposed to do?

Just chill out and wait for official information?  Or is that too much of a grown-up concept for scout leaders?

• Upvote 4
  • Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is pretty much the exact same argument folks had when the BSA announced that it would allow gay boys in Scouts but allow Troops to make their own decision on whether to include gay boys or not. 

It's Tuesday and apparently there was a survey and the survey was of people (families) that are not involved in the Boy Scouts of America  at this time (in fact some do not even live on this planet mu

@Tampa Turtle  Thank you. I am actually not walking away from BSA - BSA walked away from me. I have stayed the same - Scouting has changed. I am not leaving in protest and anger. Rather I am

Posted Images

18 minutes ago, NJCubScouter said:

I really hope they stick with the single-gender concept at age 11-17.  And keep the name "Boy Scouts."

That was certainly the sales pitch for the last 2 years.  To see them walk that back now... trust in the organization would be set to zero. 

Just now, Eagle1993 said:

A bit more info

“What we're talking about is what we're going to call those members in a Troop -- male and female -- which will be announced tomororw at midday.”

right, so the boys in a troop will no longer be called Boy Scouts.  Superman will no longer be called a "Boy Scout", this is legal loophole wrangling by claiming the umbrella corp is still "Boy Scouts of America", but when people refer to "boy scouts" they're talking about the 11-18 Troop program... not Stem Scouts.  This is a colossal walk back. 

3 minutes ago, NJCubScouter said:

Do?  You mean, between now and tomorrow morning?   :)

We have to get our remaining speculation in quickly... they didn’t give us much time!

• Haha 3
1 hour ago, mashmaster said:

Saw this on USSSP facebook:

We have been giving the "high sign" to inform all of you of a significant national announcement TOMORROW (2 May 2018) around 10am Central Time (11am ET/8am PT) concerning the future of the Boy Scouts of America and in particular about our young youth program (called Cub Scouts) and our middle aged youth program (which will have a new name revealed tomorrow morning). Those volunteers and professionals who attended the previews for this national event are excited to share the infomation but we've been embargoed to say very little more than "the details are coming..."

So I'm looking forward to this and I'll be able to personally "cash in" some bets with folks....

The announcement, from what we've been told, will be aired over commerical TV, on YouTube(tm), and shared over ALL of the BSA's social media outlets. We at the USSSP will follow the BSA's announcement to assist with program consistancy and support -- and honestly we can't wait to help the BSA to get the words outward in support of this.

So, stay tuned and thanks for your support to the USSSP over all of this time!!

(Mike Walton/Settummanque)

In a serious ponder....

Wonder if this will be the move to actual coed (new slide deck a-coming) as the National has decided that the "Linked" foolishness was in fact foolishness.  They are maybe planning to double down on the new movement as "thousands" come to join up

4 minutes ago, Jameson76 said:

In a serious ponder....

Wonder if this will be the move to actual coed (new slide deck a-coming) as the National has decided that the "Linked" foolishness was in fact foolishness.  They are maybe planning to double down on the new movement as "thousands" come to join up

That's something I would not bet against.

1 minute ago, The Latin Scot said:

1. Skorts

2. A cub scarf

3. New roll-up capris for the lady-folk

4. Cub scout leggings (ugh)

5. New color options for derby car tires

6. BSA color nail polish.

And I thought I had too much time on my hands.  Some on here need to simply go back and review the foundational elements of the program, starting with the connection to Baden Powell.  If you can lay your hands on a copy, get the book Personally Speaking which is a collection of editorial comments from the past editor of Scouting, Lex Lucas, that was published after his retirement in 1965.  A number of the entries seem tailor-made for this hyper "sky is falling" crowd.  

Edited by skeptic
Left out name of author
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3