6 minutes ago, Gwaihir said:

they're the same troop.  national can say the troops aren't co-ed all they want, but every brick in the foundation they're building is for turn-key co-ed troops.  

As someone that supports BSA4G, I also agree. Might as well simply carry the structure of cub scouts (single gender den/patrols) over into such Troops if they are going to be allowed to have the same leaders, committee, CO, meeting space, opening and closing ceremony, troop number, etc. This is looking like a distinction without a difference. The only thing that makes them different at all would be their scout leaders. Everything appears it can be fully integrated - so how is that really any different than simply having gender-specific patrols? :unsure:

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is pretty much the exact same argument folks had when the BSA announced that it would allow gay boys in Scouts but allow Troops to make their own decision on whether to include gay boys or not. 

It's Tuesday and apparently there was a survey and the survey was of people (families) that are not involved in the Boy Scouts of America  at this time (in fact some do not even live on this planet mu

@Tampa Turtle  Thank you. I am actually not walking away from BSA - BSA walked away from me. I have stayed the same - Scouting has changed. I am not leaving in protest and anger. Rather I am

Posted Images

11 minutes ago, Hawkwin said:

As someone that supports BSA4G, I also agree. Might as well simply carry the structure of cub scouts (single gender den/patrols) over into such Troops if they are going to be allowed to have the same leaders, committee, CO, meeting space, opening and closing ceremony, troop number, etc. This is looking like a distinction without a difference. The only thing that makes them different at all would be their scout leaders. Everything appears it can be fully integrated - so how is that really any different than simply having gender-specific patrols? :unsure:

Speculation/at least partially - I believe this is being done to ensure separate SPL/ASPL/PL/APLs.   

21 minutes ago, Eagle1993 said:

I believe this is being done to ensure separate SPL/ASPL/PL/APLs.

Agreed, but absent separate leadership, It looks like troops can be basically coed from all appearances and functionality (just not on paper). I would even imagine that if you have both troops on a camp out, they could even share their adult leadership for YPT requirements.

While this solution appeals to me personally, I still think this is a bad solution for BSA. This is starting to appear to be just what many here feared BSA would become. We need to have clear enough distinctions that we can continue to support the decisions of those troops that wish to remain boy-only. The more we support them in their decision to remain boy-only with clear boundaries on what BSA4G will be, the greater they will support BSA4G since it doesn't directly impact them.

• Upvote 1
On 4/27/2018 at 10:40 AM, Eagle1993 said:

Books have been printed.  Should hit shelves in June.

FAC4DF75-183F-460C-BF0A-63B21042779E.jpeg

No Lion book?  Assume they are all gender neutral with an equal number of girl and boy pics?

@Jameson76

There is a Lion book as well, but I haven't seen a picture of the printed one yet.  Cover art below.  I've seen 1 picture of the inside of 1 book and it did show a girl cub scout.  I'm sure the language has been modified to be gender neutral.  Not sure if the ratio is the same (boys vs girls).

161DDF16-3C0B-46C8-8B3C-78D4EF8E412C.jpeg

Additional updates (from various FB groups).  Nothing too exciting, but the various volunteers are indicating much more info should be available over the next few weeks (after NEXT connect meetings & BSA nationals in May).

• New clothing for BSA4G will be available in December (that date has varied a bit but it is the latest info I have heard of...)
  • NEXT Connect conference displayed some new clothing options, none are official.  They included the return of the red stripe BSA socks.  Blue Cub Scout shorts and capris/roll up pants options for girls.  I have seen pictures on a FB post but the admin has asked that they not be shared (concern is that unofficial clothing pictures is distributed causing confusion).
  • No early adopter program for BSA4G ... that seems to be fairly consistent.  Holding the date to Feb 2019.
  • The female CM/ACM requirement was stated but there has been no follow up.... so still waiting to see if that is a requirement for Cub Scout packs with girls.
  • The name for the older girls program will be announced soon and no later than the May National BSA meeting. 
  • Some Venturing girls have written to BSA as they now realize that they will be too old for Eagle Scout.  As of now, some parents/leaders have indicated BSA is pushing back on any exemption.  (I agree with BSA on this).
  • Minimum number of youth to start a unit remains 5 ... so far no indication that will change.
  • Someone in a FB post wrote the word "Weblow"  ... *slaps head*

Again, nothing earth shattering.  Looking forward to learning more official news.  

• Thanks 1
36 minutes ago, Eagle1993 said:

Additional updates (from various FB groups).  Nothing too exciting, but the various volunteers are indicating much more info should be available over the next few weeks (after NEXT connect meetings & BSA nationals in May).

• Some Venturing girls have written to BSA as they now realize that they will be too old for Eagle Scout.  As of now, some parents/leaders have indicated BSA is pushing back on any exemption.  (I agree with BSA on this).
  • Minimum number of youth to start a unit remains 5 ... so far no indication that will change.  

Good news on the exemption pushback.  The timing unfortunately may not work for everyone, which sort of is what it is.  If BSA was to try some sort of convoluted exemption matrix it would be a Highway to Hell paved with good intentions.  Good they are holding firm on that front (at this time)

Good news on the number of youth to start a unit.  Actually 5 is thin, as part of BSA program is working in groups and interaction.  Good they are holding firm on that front (at this time)

Edited by Jameson76
  • Upvote 1
58 minutes ago, Jameson76 said:

Good news on the exemption pushback.  The timing unfortunately may not work for everyone, which sort of is what it is.  If BSA was to try some sort of convoluted exemption matrix it would be a Highway to Hell paved with good intentions.  Good they are holding firm on that front (at this time) ...

Mixed feelings about the exemption. {Insert identity-vs.-achievement rant here.} {Insert, but- yeah, to do it right a reconciliation commission would need go clear back to 1970 or whenever the first tag-along did everything the award required.}

The clever move would to remove the age 18 deadline altogether, then tell those young women that ASM while starting a BSA4G unit would fulfill the PoR requirement. But that would cause NESA to lose $$ as the actual # of Eagle awards plummet because last-minute scouts will procrastinate in perpetuity without a "last minute" to scramble them.

Edited by qwazse

Saw this on USSSP facebook:

We have been giving the "high sign" to inform all of you of a significant national announcement TOMORROW (2 May 2018) around 10am Central Time (11am ET/8am PT) concerning the future of the Boy Scouts of America and in particular about our young youth program (called Cub Scouts) and our middle aged youth program (which will have a new name revealed tomorrow morning). Those volunteers and professionals who attended the previews for this national event are excited to share the infomation but we've been embargoed to say very little more than "the details are coming..."

So I'm looking forward to this and I'll be able to personally "cash in" some bets with folks....

The announcement, from what we've been told, will be aired over commerical TV, on YouTube(tm), and shared over ALL of the BSA's social media outlets. We at the USSSP will follow the BSA's announcement to assist with program consistancy and support -- and honestly we can't wait to help the BSA to get the words outward in support of this.

So, stay tuned and thanks for your support to the USSSP over all of this time!!

(Mike Walton/Settummanque)

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, Tampa Turtle said:

But...but...but people here PROMISED we would stay 'Boy Scouts of America!'. I am shocked, shocked in advance I tell you. 

Or is 'middle aged' Webelos? Why not just call them Buffalos?

You are a tease.

11 minutes ago, Thunderbird said:

@mashmaster  So it sounds like they're going to rename the Boy Scouting program?

From that FB post it isn’t clear; however, some of the comments seem to allude to a new name.    Also, it appears thy have a commercial that is ready to go out.