2 hours ago, JustAScoutMom said:

And you are not unique to a lot of men....which is exactly why a woman has to be at a campsite when girls are there.

I'm a Health teacher. Sit a girl down in my classroom and I will have that conversation. I just don't feel comfortable discussing it in the context of scouting. 

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is pretty much the exact same argument folks had when the BSA announced that it would allow gay boys in Scouts but allow Troops to make their own decision on whether to include gay boys or not. 

It's Tuesday and apparently there was a survey and the survey was of people (families) that are not involved in the Boy Scouts of America  at this time (in fact some do not even live on this planet mu

@Tampa Turtle  Thank you. I am actually not walking away from BSA - BSA walked away from me. I have stayed the same - Scouting has changed. I am not leaving in protest and anger. Rather I am

Posted Images

It's not a topic for a troop meeting, but us male Scouters probably ought to get used to hearing about it.  It's just a normal part of life.  I do imagine the girls would be more comfortable talking with a female, but we should be careful to not make them feel awkward about it.

Interesting take on the skorts though - never thought about that.  I'm 100% behind uniform updates that are thought out and practical.  With that in mind skorts with pockets now make sense to me.

I'm curious to see what the 11-18 year old uniform updates will bring.

• Upvote 1

From experience girls typically look after themselves when it comes to periods.

We keep a supply of sanitary towels in our HQ, all the girls know where they are if they need one. We always take a supply to camp. Again it's part of the arrival briefing to tell the girls where they are. Very occassionally one of them vanishes, presumably a girl who gets caught out and goes to grab one. I only recall one occassion where a girl has actually asked for one. The conversation went broadly,

Scout - "I need a sanitary towel Skip, where are they?"

Me - "Store room, middle shelf, next to the spare toilet role."

Scouts - "Cheers."

Yes be ready to deal with it but don't worry about it. Odds are you'll never actually have to have much of  a conversation about it.

• Thanks 1

I do think it will be a topic to cover in bear country.  I remember we talked about using non scented soap, etc. to prevent bears from being attracted to your tent.  I think leaders (male and female) will be comfortable enough to talk to girls who may be having their period in the back country, especially with bears.

A bear's sense of smell is so powerful, they know where the humans are without any soap or other smells. When camping in an established campsite, especially at a park the bears already know the site. They will visit if it is on their route, soap and other smells wont make increase it.

It isn’t about bears going to the camp, it is about not enticing them to enter tents.  Anything that had a “smell” would go in our food pack and be suspended appropriately on a tree limb.  I would guess that used tampons would have to be included in a sealed bag.  I don’t think those would belong in a back pack in a tent.

Adult leaders who understand this type of camping would consistently remind our SPL to ensure policy was being followed.  Not a major deal, but male leaders may have to feel comfortable talking with female SPLs or scouts about handling tampons in the back country areas.  I know some Venturing groups already deal with this.

Separate point, on one trip deep in the BWCA we had a camp location on an island with no trees.  We were told that if we ever encountered that situation to lash our food Pack under a canoe and then put paddles, pots and pans on top of the canoe to scare away the Bear.  Needless to say, at ~2am we found that bears do not scare that easily.

Edited by Eagle1993

The problem with the "all things that smell" is that all things smell, the bears sense of smell is very acute. Scented or unscented soap makes no difference, people smell, their clothes smell, their pack smells. A curious bear will investigate. Most will not as they are lazy and except for human habituated bears scared of humans. There are many "we are told to..." regarding bears. Most are crap as you experienced. Since you mentioned BWCA, a well known and respected guide of many years who has published much provides some insight into bears... https://www.cliffcanoe.com/bear-proofing-your-camp

New Cub Scout books will be available in June. They are integrating the new requirements (that were previously in an addendum), rewording for gender and using the new Cub Scout color scheme.   Old books still work if you have the addendum.  See pic of the Wolf book attached.

59952B46-3CDE-41B7-992B-93C603B8D191.jpeg

1 minute ago, Eagle1993 said:

New Cub Scout books will be available in June. They are integrating the new requirements (that were previously in an addendum), rewording for gender and using the new Cub Scout color scheme.   Old books still work if you have the addendum.  See pic of the Wolf book attached.

Lots of THEY and THEM no doubt.  Assuming pics and drawing are androgynous individuals.  Happy gender neutral cubbies in skorts out enjoying the program

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

It depends on the bear, the common black bear as a rule will not attack humans, all the many ones that I have seen have run away as soon as they saw me.  I have little fear of little black bears.

A grizzly bear will attack humans, they are well know for that. Menstrual blood is not a factor.

https://www.nps.gov/yell/learn/nature/grizzlybear-menstrual-odor.htm

So... if the CO wants to permit girls to join a scout unit associated with their CO, they need to charter a new unit. What's the fee for that again?

Suddenly the push to create paper units with paper leaders when everyone is meeting together at the same time and place makes more sense.

9 minutes ago, LVAllen said:

So... if the CO wants to permit girls to join a scout unit associated with their CO, they need to charter a new unit. What's the fee for that again?

Suddenly the push to create paper units with paper leaders when everyone is meeting together at the same time and place makes more sense.

You need to have 5 youth and I think 5 adults, though if they are in multiple units not 100% sure how the money works.  There is an $40 insurance unit fee and maybe a $6 council insurance unit fee

If you have insomnia below is the link to the 33 page Recharter handbook

http://www.ncacbsa.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/2017-2018-Charter-Renewal-Handbook-170908v9.pdf

On 3/22/2018 at 8:50 AM, Eagle1993 said:

If I may ask, where did you get this photo and information? Mind you, it's not entirely surprising, but what is the source of this picture? I confess the cover is ... well, boring to say the least. I hope they don't go with this monochromatic style in the end, but curious to know more. At least they are incorporating the addendums into it, but as the leader of an all-boy unit, I hope they don't go overboard with the gender-integration images inside. And what about our old friend Ethan? Will his twin sister Edna be joining us now?

sigh ........ I know it's been said a million times over, but this whole inclusion thing is really ruffling my feathers again, lol.

Edited by The Latin Scot
  • Upvote 1
9 minutes ago, The Latin Scot said:

If I may ask, where did you get this photo and information? Mind you, it's not entirely surprising, but what is the source of this picture? I confess the cover is ... well, boring to say the least. I hope they don't go with this monochromatic style in the end, but curious to know more. At least they are incorporating the addendums into it, but as the leader of an all-boy unit, I hope they don't go overboard with the gender-integration images inside. And what about our old friend Ethan? Will his twin sister Edna be joining us now?

sigh ........ I know it's been said a million times over, but this whole inclusion thing is really ruffling my feathers again, lol.

She-Wolf?