@Eagle94-A1

It is one thing to direct your anger at Nationals and the professionals.  It is another when you decide that you can’t even be in the same area as an 11 year old girl who is signed up as a scout.  When I see a scout, regardless of race, gender, politics or background, I would give them a scout handshake and engage in conversation.  Some of the attitudes here are from scouters who may not be able to bring themselves to do that.   When a scouter says he doesn’t even want his scouts to witness a female scout in any sort of official ceremony then it is time for them to leave.  I do not want any child who has joined scouting to feel less than a full member.  You can go ahead and write 100 more paragraphs, I won’t change my stance.

• Upvote 3
  • Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is pretty much the exact same argument folks had when the BSA announced that it would allow gay boys in Scouts but allow Troops to make their own decision on whether to include gay boys or not. 

It's Tuesday and apparently there was a survey and the survey was of people (families) that are not involved in the Boy Scouts of America  at this time (in fact some do not even live on this planet mu

@Tampa Turtle  Thank you. I am actually not walking away from BSA - BSA walked away from me. I have stayed the same - Scouting has changed. I am not leaving in protest and anger. Rather I am

Posted Images

@Eagle1993

I understand completely that you "do not want any child who has joined scouting to feel less than a full member." And I agree with that sentiment. 

But what I and many others who are against girls in the program, as well those who are for girls, are concerned about is changes to the program to accommodate girls to the detriment of the boys.  If you look at the statistics, boys are currently being short-changed in our society.  They are behind in school,  they are being diagnosed and medicated for ADHD more than girls,  have lower high school and college graduation rates, and more likely to get involved in crime.  And it appears that there are no longer any national organizations dedicated just to  boys anymore. But plenty for girls. 

I am also concerned about double standards being raised, as they already have occured. There was a thread about how it's OK for two female Scouters to work with all male Cub Scout dens by themselves, but two men cannot work with an all female Cub Scout den. Sorry, if you need a woman working with the girls, then you should need a man to work with the boys.

• Upvote 3

I don’t disagree. I think the ADHD aspect is almost criminal.  About 30 years ago I was with my dad (SM) and our Troop at camp.  I remember one scout that was being picked up by his mother.  At some point she found out my dad didn’t give he son any of the xyz drug that was prescribed for his ADHD.  She said at home if he misses 1 dose he is off the wall.  My dad told her we didn’t notice anything unique with the kid and I was shocked he was medicated (no HIPPA back then I guess).  It has only gotten worse.  

I also believe too many boys and pushed into college as the trades no longer are respected (or funded in HS). 

I’m also not a fan of how National rolled this out.  I don’t believe they have been fully honest and transparent.  Even now I tend to agree they will push to have all units/committees include girls.  

It’s tough to discuss this online and will say the unit leaders I meet in person are all respectful on all sides of the issue.  I do hope that we will still serve boys well, but I am a bit fearful that this change will bring others that would damage the scouting experience. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
2 hours ago, Eagle1993 said:

It’s tough to discuss this online and will say the unit leaders I meet in person are all respectful on all sides of the issue.  I do hope that we will still serve boys well, but I am a bit fearful that this change will bring others that would damage the scouting experience. 

Agree about online. Missing out on the paraverbal and nonverbal, that gives context to what we are saying.  Best example I can give is how the tone, speed, and volume, as well as our body language of a sales clerk can tel you if they really want to help, or going through the motions.

And yes that is everyone's concern I've talked to now save one. Had a chance to talk to our SM who was gung ho about girls joining because he has a daughter who is pumped up. And he now has some reservations about how the change.

3 hours ago, ianwilkins said:

Cor blimey squire, strike a light! I can't adam and eve you said that! We ain't so bad is we? 

Well you got some excellent crisp flavors and I will concede your Kit-Kat is superior to ours.   :)                               

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Tampa Turtle said:

Well you got some excellent crisp flavors and I will concede your Kit-Kat is superior to ours.   :)                               

Aye..I dream of the crisps I am missing..., English Breakfast, Prawn and Curry, Ham and Pickle, Roast Beef and a hundred variations....what kind of flavor mad scientists does your school system produce? The UK may no longer have an empire but still is a Snack Food Superpower!

• Haha 1
43 minutes ago, Tampa Turtle said:

Aye..I dream of the crisps I am missing..., English Breakfast, Prawn and Curry, Ham and Pickle, Roast Beef and a hundred variations....what kind of flavor mad scientists does your school system produce? The UK may no longer have an empire but still is a Snack Food Superpower!

So glad we're known for something of such high worth and value to society. Forget the contributions to history, art, science, etc etc. It's Pickled Onion Monster Munch that's the thing. Marvelous!

I think I've said on here before, Worcestershire Sauce flavour crisps really confuse Portuguese Scouts. The pronunciation, the flavour, everything. Opinions ranged from "hmm, okay, I guess" to "why would you even do that?". Cultural exchange at its finest.

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1
13 minutes ago, ianwilkins said:

So glad we're known for something of such high worth and value to society. Forget the contributions to history, art, science, etc etc. It's Pickled Onion Monster Munch that's the thing. Marvelous!

I think I've said on here before, Worcestershire Sauce flavour crisps really confuse Portuguese Scouts. The pronunciation, the flavour, everything. Opinions ranged from "hmm, okay, I guess" to "why would you even do that?". Cultural exchange at its finest.

(Well we did hit every museum that was free back in 2015. When you travel with teens cultural highlights need to be interspersed with snacks and candy) Like to go High Brow and Low Brow. Family was backpacking and hosteling so we had to eat a lot of cheap stuff a lot. A sit down at a pub was the highlight of the day.  When my family did the same in Israel/West Bank the holy sites were interspersed with the hunt for the perfect Falafel, Ice Cream bar, and --once again--crisp flavors. The arabs have an endless versions of Lay's with spicy peppers. Never could read arabic so it added to the expense. There was some spicy cheetos that were so hot I couldn't taste anything for 5 hours. 

Cultural exchange is great. Some Aussie scouts introduced me to the joys of the "Jaffa Iron". Israeli scouts to the weirdest genre free radio I ever heard. And they had girls too.

• Like 1
44 minutes ago, Tampa Turtle said:

Cultural exchange is great. Some Aussie scouts introduced me to the joys of the "Jaffa Iron".

I heard it as "Jaffle Iron" -- but I haven't heard the term for decades, brings back memories.   The friend who introduced me to a jaffle iron was an Australian girl, in Japan,  a scout in my troop, which was registered with GSUSA TOFS but had British leaders.   The cultural exchange part of scouting is something I highly value.

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, Tampa Turtle said:

Some Aussie scouts introduced me to the joys of the "Jaffa Iron".

Interesting. Is this not a domestic/American thing? My family has used one of these for as long as I can remember camping. We make ham and cheese and hot apple pies in them (white bread and pie filling from a can).

Just did a quick internet search and indeed, the first entry I found was an "Australian" Jaffle Iron on Amazon.

• Upvote 1
4 hours ago, Hawkwin said:

Interesting. Is this not a domestic/American thing? My family has used one of these for as long as I can remember camping. We make ham and cheese and hot apple pies in them (white bread and pie filling from a can).

Just did a quick internet search and indeed, the first entry I found was an "Australian" Jaffle Iron on Amazon.

I believe we call it a "Pie Iron" here in the states.

13 hours ago, ianwilkins said:

Cor blimey squire, strike a light! I can't adam and eve you said that! We ain't so bad is we? 

Be careful what you wish for. If we're British then you all be American, if ya git my drift.

• Upvote 1