Linked Troops - What are these?

5 minutes ago, NJCubScouter said:

I don't think that should be a huge thing, as it is a one-time transitional thing.

Agreed.  Not a huge thing.  I thought I heard about 5th grade girls signing up for pack that are early adopters.  Not sure what happened there.  

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

...or BSA wants to collect a second chartering fee?

My scouts here in the UK are 10-14 and I don't really see it. Sometimes they seem to drift into single sex groups. We went punting back in June. We told them to sort themselves into boat groups a

Wendy Shaw, National's Membership Growth Group Director gave the keynote speech and taught a seminar at our UoS this weekend. The keynote was the usual "rah-rah" stuff: Positive media attention (which

40 minutes ago, fred johnson said:

Agreed.  Not a huge thing.  I thought I heard about 5th grade girls signing up for pack that are early adopters.  Not sure what happened there.  

A fifth grader approached us and council had given the ok.  We made it clear there would be a time period where they wouldn’t be in scouting.  In the end she decided to wait for the Troop option (I think that was for the best). I’m not sure if we would have had her app approved all the way through Nationals if we did go thru with it.

We've have 5th grade girls in our pack now. They will hang out a second year in cubs until they bridge over next. They are Webelos Scouts this year and will be AoL next year. Our council endorsed us (selected pack for the pilot program).  I believe they felt it more important to build momentum than adhere to the original age limits

6 hours ago, NJCubScouter said:

My recollection is the Arrow of Light requires that at least six months have passed since you finished the fourth grade.  Did they change that?  

The actual requirement is "Be active in your Webelos den for at least six months since completing the fourth grade or at least six months since becoming ten years old." It is a bit of an edge case but both of my boys have early September birthdays in a school district with a hard requirement of 5yo by Sept. 1st for Kindergarten. As such older son crossed over having done all the Webelos and AoL requirements in 9 months as a 10.5yo 4th grader... if he hadn't he would have joined boy scouts as an 11yo in the Fall not as a AoL crossover the following spring. Younger son will do the same next year if he does the work. There are bound to be a few girls who also meet this requirement and joined as 10yo 4th graders who could move up six months from now.

ETA: I agree this isn't a huge deal since it is a one time thing.

Edited by oldbuzzard
7 hours ago, NJCubScouter said:

My recollection is the Arrow of Light requires that at least six months have passed since you finished the fourth grade.  Did they change that?  If that is still the case, that 4th grade girl will still be in the 4th grade until May or June, so let's say May, 6 months is November.  Around here most don't actually earn the Arrow of Light that quickly anyway because they really aren't working on advancement over the summer (unless they go to Cub day camp.)  And around here most packs don't cross over until Feb. or March.  I don't see what the big rush is to cross over much before that. But let's assume there is a girl who earns Arrow of Light in November.  So I think the BSA would ask her to stay in the pack until February.  (Now that I mention it, I think there has already been something said about that.)  I don't think that should be a huge thing, as it is a one-time transitional thing.

The Arrow of Light tenure requirement says: "1. Be active in your Webelos den for at least six months since completing the fourth grade or for at least six months since becoming 10 years old."  So if a girl was already 10 years old and in the 4th grade when she joined an early adopter pack (assuming that she joined on January 15), she could meet this tenure requirement as early as July 15.

19 minutes ago, Thunderbird said:

So if a girl was already 10 years old and in the 4th grade when she joined an early adopter pack (assuming that she joined on January 15), she could meet this tenure requirement as early as July 15.

Somewhere in either the G2A or Webelos Den Guide, or whatever it is called, there is specific rules saying that someone who joins 4th grade or earlier MUST (emphasis) earn the Webelos badge prior to earning the AOL. Grant you it is doable to earn both of them in a year as our LDS brethen show us, I do not think cramming 14 activity badges, which is suppose to take 1 month per badge to earn so that is 14 months of activities, into 6 months is doing a service to anyone. 

@Eagle94-A1  The Guide to Advancement does say that the Webelos rank is for boys who have completed the 3rd grade or who are 10 years old.   And the Arrow of Light rank is for boys who have completed the 5th grade.  The FAQs for the Cub Scout adventure program (back in 2015) specifically said that the adventures for Webelos Scouts could be worked on in any order (required or elective).  And with the Cub Scout requirements that were modified in December 2016, there are only 11 total adventure pins required for both ranks now.  As soon as they complete elective pin #2, they've completed requirement #3 for both Webelos and AOL ranks.

A 5th grade girl who joins as soon as 4th grade is over (mid to late May for some school districts), wouldn't have to worry about or work on Webelos rank at all (unless she wanted to).  She would only need to complete 5 adventures.

But I agree with you.  If I were a Webelos Den Leader, I would not try to cram all of that in to 6 months.  Some people do seem to be in a rush to Eagle, though.

10 hours ago, John-in-KC said:

One  chartered partner, one  committee, in theory two scoutmasters and two sets of assistant scoutmaster's

Two youth structures-- PLC, patrols, etc. Again, in theory

It doesn't look that different to the group system that we have in the UK that you don't have at present. Most commonly a group consists of one each of beaver colony, cub pack, scout troop an explorer unit with one committee sitting over the top. However at larger groups such as mine we have two scout troops and two cub packs. We have two SLs (what you call SMs) two sets of ASLs (ASMs), although we do fill in with each other if we're short on adults on any given week, and two PLCs. Most of our programmes are separate. My troop meets on a Thursday, the other troop meets Wednesday at the same location. 

We have one pool of camping gear that we draw from. In fact the patrol boxes are twinned, ie shared between one patrol in one troop and one in the other. We have one bank account.

Camps are variable. Our lower key weekend camps are mostly separate. However summer camp is always joint as are a few other headline events. eg we have gliding lined up for April.

True we have two troops for different reasons to you, we simply ran out of space to accomodate everyone that wanted to join so started a second troop. Both troops, to be clear, are coed. However I suspect that it's a model that may end up looking familiar your side of the Atlantic just with boys in one and girls in the other,

• Thanks 1
8 hours ago, Thunderbird said:

The Arrow of Light tenure requirement says: "1. Be active in your Webelos den for at least six months since completing the fourth grade or for at least six months since becoming 10 years old."  So if a girl was already 10 years old and in the 4th grade when she joined an early adopter pack (assuming that she joined on January 15), she could meet this tenure requirement as early as July 15.

Thanks for clarifying.  I don’t think I’ve heard of crossovers before a Scout enters 5th grade but it appears possible.   Most of the Packs I’ve seen cross over at the earliest in December.  

5 hours ago, Cambridgeskip said:

It doesn't look that different to the group system that we have in the UK that you don't have at present. Most commonly a group consists of one each of beaver colony, cub pack, scout troop an explorer unit with one committee sitting over the top. However at larger groups such as mine we have two scout troops and two cub packs. We have two SLs (what you call SMs) two sets of ASLs (ASMs), although we do fill in with each other if we're short on adults on any given week, and two PLCs. Most of our programmes are separate. My troop meets on a Thursday, the other troop meets Wednesday at the same location. 

We have one pool of camping gear that we draw from. In fact the patrol boxes are twinned, ie shared between one patrol in one troop and one in the other. We have one bank account.

Camps are variable. Our lower key weekend camps are mostly separate. However summer camp is always joint as are a few other headline events. eg we have gliding lined up for April.

True we have two troops for different reasons to you, we simply ran out of space to accomodate everyone that wanted to join so started a second troop. Both troops, to be clear, are coed. However I suspect that it's a model that may end up looking familiar your side of the Atlantic just with boys in one and girls in the other,

Probably could learn a lot from you guys. 

36 minutes ago, Eagle1993 said:

Thanks for clarifying.  I don’t think I’ve heard of crossovers before a Scout enters 5th grade but it appears possible.   Most of the Packs I’ve seen cross over at the earliest in December.  

We just had a fourth grader who turned ten in early December, completed his Arrow of Light requirements, and crossed over with the rest of the AOL boys last month.

12 minutes ago, MikeS72 said:

We just had a fourth grader who turned ten in early December, completed his Arrow of Light requirements, and crossed over with the rest of the AOL boys last month.

How did he achieve 6 months of tenure since turning 10?

• Upvote 1

interesting

I get the seperate boy dens and girl dens

but I don't really get the girl troop and boy troop thing.  To me it might seem better to have male patrols and female patrols...maybe.

but realistically and logistically genderless is where it 'wants'  it needs to go....

have they changed the shirt yet, so it doesn't say BOY Scouts of America?