Linked Troops - What are these?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

...or BSA wants to collect a second chartering fee?

My scouts here in the UK are 10-14 and I don't really see it. Sometimes they seem to drift into single sex groups. We went punting back in June. We told them to sort themselves into boat groups a

Wendy Shaw, National's Membership Growth Group Director gave the keynote speech and taught a seminar at our UoS this weekend. The keynote was the usual "rah-rah" stuff: Positive media attention (which

Thanks for sending this out.  Looks like they plan to keep separate Troops but worked out a way to allow some of the overhead (CC, Treasurer, committee chairs, etc.) to essentially work coed.  I wonder if they will force separate names for ASM and SMs between the boy and girl Troops under one committee.   Good to see dates out there.  While I would like to see earlier the linked Troop idea should cut down some of the overhead and allow Girl Troops to form quickly starting Feb.  

Except for the fact I know it will happen, I would bet a beer that there will be at least one pair of troops in the nation who will have the same scoutmaster and ASMs, and the PLCs meet as one. 

• Upvote 3
24 minutes ago, Jameson76 said:

OK - So what are linked troops?  That is a new phrase to the party

Did that come from a web site?  I would like to try to find a higher-resolution version that I can actually read.  :)   But I do see the phrase "Linked Troops" and yes, it does appear to be something new.  It looks like two troops would share one committee.  It isn't specific about leadership (SM/ASM.)

3 minutes ago, NJCubScouter said:

Did that come from a web site?  I would like to try to find a higher-resolution version that I can actually read.  :)   But I do see the phrase "Linked Troops" and yes, it does appear to be something new.  It looks like two troops would share one committee.  It isn't specific about leadership (SM/ASM.)

https://filestore.scouting.org/filestore/familyscouting/pdf/Family-Scouting-Infographic.pdf

• Upvote 1

Interesting ... I'd still like to learn more about dates.  I heard when cub scouts was rolled out there was nothing preventing 4th and 5th grade girls from joining cub scouts.  As such, they need a troop to cross over before the deadline.  

27 minutes ago, John-in-KC said:

Except for the fact I know it will happen, I would bet a beer that there will be at least one pair of troops in the nation who will have the same scoutmaster and ASMs, and the PLCs meet as one. 

What's the over under on percentage of "Linked" (wink wink) troops with this configuration?

• Upvote 2

It looks like Troops start Feb 2019.  That should be early enough for most 4th Grade girls.  5th graders were not supposed to join but I’m not sure how well that was enforced.  If they exist they’ll have to wait after this summer when they age out of Cub Scouts.

5 minutes ago, Eagle1993 said:

It looks like Troops start Feb 2019.  That should be early enough for most 4th Grade girls.  5th graders were not supposed to join but I’m not sure how well that was enforced.  If they exist they’ll have to wait after this summer when they age out of Cub Scouts.

Theoretically, a 4th grade girl could join a pack that is an early adopter right now.  Then during the summer earn Arrow of Light and then be ready to cross over this fall, up to four months earlier than Feb 2019.

I think you need 6 months in after completing 4th grade ... which typically means earliest anyone should cross over is December.  So they would have to wait ~2 months unless I missed something.  I don’t think this would represent many scouts.

Has anyone done the math to see when the first girl Eagle will be awarded?

9 minutes ago, fred johnson said:

Theoretically, a 4th grade girl could join a pack that is an early adopter right now.  Then during the summer earn Arrow of Light and then be ready to cross over this fall, up to four months earlier than Feb 2019.

My recollection is the Arrow of Light requires that at least six months have passed since you finished the fourth grade.  Did they change that?  If that is still the case, that 4th grade girl will still be in the 4th grade until May or June, so let's say May, 6 months is November.  Around here most don't actually earn the Arrow of Light that quickly anyway because they really aren't working on advancement over the summer (unless they go to Cub day camp.)  And around here most packs don't cross over until Feb. or March.  I don't see what the big rush is to cross over much before that. But let's assume there is a girl who earns Arrow of Light in November.  So I think the BSA would ask her to stay in the pack until February.  (Now that I mention it, I think there has already been something said about that.)  I don't think that should be a huge thing, as it is a one-time transitional thing.