How Do You Deal With CC/Cubmaster Issues?

9 minutes ago, blw2 said:

I'd suggest this, if you haven't already read it.

http://scoutmastercg.com/far-good-new-scoutmasters-story/

Short book, easy read.  Fiction based on a 30 year scoutmaster (or something like that)

It's really more about the SM, but I think he did a great job outlining a good way for the relationship to exist between two of the "Key Three".  Important to support the SM, but equally important to have a SM that supports the CC and shares a similar vision.

I was troop CC for a very short time, at the request of the then SM.  At that point I knew so little about troops and patrol method that it was really a laugh when I think about it now.  I went at it just trying to lead an organized committee and to support the SM. 

Now I realize that the CC could play such a key role in shaping a troop, so I think it is imperative...as in seriously a big deal important.... for a CC to understand the patrol method (and there is, I think, a lot of misunderstanding out there about what it means) and to have a vision for the troop.

This is for our pack CC, but I agree anyway.  My older boy crossed over last year, and I'm one of the more consistent drivers to get scouts to camp, so I think I have a pretty good idea of how the patrol method works.  Because our pack only has one AOL/Webelos II scout, we folded him into the Webelos den.  Recently, we had him take a look at the different methods of starting a fire, choose one, and use EDGE to teach the rest of the den.

I'm very undecided as to whether I'd want this position, but I'm worried that if I don't, we risk getting another half-hearted person in the position and the pack continues to limp along, or lose even more boys.  I care enough about offering the scouting experience to these boys that I don't want to see that happen.  Another worry of mine is that despite how good my intentions might be, I'm not up to making the changes we need.

Still trying to get everyone to agree to a committee leaders meeting.  We (I) really need to know what they're thinking, and only our future CM (present one is stepping down next year as her son will cross over) has encouraged me to step up for this.

I believe the best units are the ones where the CC has the vision of the program and recruits a like-minded Scoutmaster/Cub Master with the gifts to make it happen. We all have our gifts and when we use them correctly as a team, amazing things happen.  

Barry

• Upvote 1

I agree with @Eagledad - that's very good advice.

@swilliams the main question is ask you to consider is what do you want to do.  CC is a big enough job that for most folks it becomes their primary Scouting role.  If your heart is in being the pack's CC - that's great.  If not, I'd encourage you to think about whether you want to shift focus from things that interest you.

BTW - if you decide to take on the CC role - your first step should be to organize monthly committee meetings.  Don't worry about getting everyone to agree you need it - just do it.