Eagle Scout neckerchief - quick question

Latin Scot, I love neckerchiefs, too.  And I collect them.  Over the years I have acquired a treasure trove of the old full-squares, especially the ones from the 1930's that are 30"x30".  Scouts love it when I do a presentation on Scouting's history, using neckerchiefs from different eras, jamborees, camps and events to illustrate it.

• 3 weeks later...

I never did report back on the Court of Honor! I went with the white NESA neckerchief which was PERFECT, since it was nice enough to look spiffy (white on tan/green = VERY classy!), but not the same as the blue neckers the boys were awarded that day. It looked great, it didn't draw attention from the boys being honored, and it was in all a lovely gift from the Scout and his family that gave it to me.

I did have to stifle a few laughs during the ceremony though; each boy had a moment when his old neckerchief was removed as our COR attempted to place the new blue Eagle necker over their collars ... with hysterical results. They tried flipping the neckers in the air a few times and then loosely tying them in a knot (they had slides there mind you!), and they ended up looking like little blue tableclothes strewn haphazardly over their shoulders with big bows in front. :laugh: By the last two attempts (there were 5 boys) they did get them looking half-decent, but it was still both humorous and painful to watch the whole thing unfold (ha ha). I think I need to train our leadership on how to wear the neckerchief properly; I admit I am a bit OCD about getting mine to look just right, but since I am the ONLY leader who regularly wears them, I think it would at least be worthwhile to teach the others how to neatly put the neckerchief on somebody else:rolleyes:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
On 26/03/2018 at 7:39 PM, The Latin Scot said:

They tried flipping the neckers in the air a few times and then loosely tying them in a knot (they had slides there mind you!), and they ended up looking like little blue tableclothes strewn haphazardly over their shoulders with big bows in front.

CULTURAL DIFFERENCE ALERT!

You mean you don't roll your neckers? Mind. Blown.

• Haha 2
7 hours ago, ianwilkins said:

CULTURAL DIFFERENCE ALERT!

You mean you don't roll your neckers? Mind. Blown.

:laugh:

I myself actually lay my necker flat and then fold the edges in small, 1" folds until I have about 8" of triangled fabric left. Next I carefully bring it around my neck and smoothly bring up the slide, watching that it goes up without pulling in any weird places; I then adjust until everything looks neat and tidy. It took me forever to customize the space in my favorite slide so that it was tight enough to stay in place, but large enough not to squeeze and wrinkle the fabric too much.

Now, considering my near-lunatic obsession with getting my neckerchiefs to look just so, you can imagine my angst as I watched the parade of neckerchief ineptitude unravel in front of me at this Court of Honor. If I had worn pearls instead of my necker, I would have at least had something to clutch in horror at the sight of it. :p

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
3 hours ago, The Latin Scot said:

...  If I had worn pearls instead of my necker, I would have at least had something to clutch in horror at the sight of it. :p

Add to your Christmas wish list: mother-of-pearl neckerchief slide!

• 2 months later...
On 3/28/2018 at 5:42 PM, The Latin Scot said:

I myself actually lay my necker flat and then fold the edges in small, 1" folds until I have about 8" of triangled fabric left. Next I carefully bring it around my neck and smoothly bring up the slide, watching that it goes up without pulling in any weird places; I then adjust until everything looks neat and tidy

The sounds about right. The number of times I have to explain to our Scouts that is a neckerchief not a womans neck scarf and should be rolled neatly as you describe not be shoved through a woggle (slide) without rolling which ends up looking a bit like a napkin worn around your neck with a napkin ring.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • 3 years later...
On 3/2/2018 at 10:33 PM, HelpfulTracks said:

I collect neckers (I love them) and have several different Eagle versions (Blue, White NESA, Lifetime NESA, NESA Jambo, Staff etc).

I usually wear my white NESA to Eagle CoH. But I have seen various versions worn by adults and think it is appropriate no matter which color, after all, Once an Eagle Always an Eagle. And I have never considered the blue one to signify anything other than Eagle Scout (no age qualifier I mean).

BTW - if you are looking to return the favor, NESA makes a red "Eagle Awarded in 2018" necker that would be a nice gift

I also love neckerchiefs and have a huge collection. I especially like the vintage full-square neckerchiefs.

• 5 months later...

I seem to remember using the neckerchief for SM minutes with the 3 edges as 3 parts of the scout oath and 12 rolls for the scout law.  Also, as the last uniform item put on, the scout oath and law are the last part of the uniform.  This is a really reduced SM minute and roll tight as 12 is a lot with smaller neckers.

On 2/3/2022 at 9:42 AM, Double Eagle said:

I seem to remember using the neckerchief for SM minutes with the 3 edges as 3 parts of the scout oath and 12 rolls for the scout law.  Also, as the last uniform item put on, the scout oath and law are the last part of the uniform.  This is a really reduced SM minute and roll tight as 12 is a lot with smaller neckers.

Another discussion.... ""3 parts of the scout oath ""

I came to see there are FOUR parts/sections/ promises....    Duty to GOD,   duty to COUNTRY,  duty to OTHERS and duty to SELF ( last !)   To accomplish these, the Scout Law is applied. (five parts?) 

48 minutes ago, SSScout said:

Another discussion.... ""3 parts of the scout oath ""

I came to see there are FOUR parts/sections/ promises....    Duty to GOD,   duty to COUNTRY,  duty to OTHERS and duty to SELF ( last !)   To accomplish these, the Scout Law is applied. (five parts?) 

Punctuation matters … the parts are :

1. … to do my duty … (semicolon)
  2. … to help others … (semicolon)
  3. … to keep self … (period)

The parts of are three verbs: do, help, and keep.

One could argue they are in order of increasing immediacy:

• Physical fitness, mental alertness, and moral rectitude prepare a scout to
  • Have the strength, wit, and ethics to provide aid to others, thus enabling
  • Obedience to the scout law, thereby honorably fulfilling one’s religious and citizenship imperatives at one’s level best.

...  Also, as the last uniform item put on, the scout oath and law are the last part of the uniform.  …

And that, kids, is why you should put your necker on first and slip your uni underneath! 🙃

I remember when neckerchiefs were large squares. This allowed them to be functional equipment too, not simply adornment. I recall doing first aid training and we used our neckerchiefs as slings, to make splints, etc...

• Upvote 1