Can a 18 year old be a Troop ASM/OA Advisor?

On one hand, IMHO, he who does the work deserves the recognition. On the other,  https://oa-bsa.org/resources/ucl-support/ttr/ttr-adviser

Qualifications:

• A unit assistant leader or committee member at least 21 years old
  • Appointed by the Scoutmaster or Varsity Team Coach with the approval of the unit committee chairman
  • OA member in good standing

So, there is this gap between 18-20 that doesn't come with a patch. Go figure.

He should ask his lodge chief for an official title ... maybe a local NA name for "he who guides between".

• Upvote 2

You are correct, youth+ (18-20) is no mans land for OA in regards to troop positions.

He must be under 18 for Troop Rep and 21 or older for Adviser.

However, there are a number of positions he can take in OA. He can serve in any elected position in OA as long as he does not turn 21 during his term in office.

Also, he can in a number of appointed Committee positions,  as Chair or member. Most Chapters/Lodges have Committee Chairs for Reps, which may be a good spot if his interest is in Troop rep. This would give him excellent insight for being Troop Rep Adviser when he is eligible.

Chapters/Lodges often utilizes youth+ for special Committee’s like Conclave, NOAC and Special projects because of their experience and maturity, and their unique position as OA youth/Troop adult.

I hope that answers your question and helps.

On 2/28/2018 at 9:11 AM, Eagle94-A1 said:

Interesting question.

According to this, https://oa-bsa.org/article/ask-chairman-oa-assistant-scoutmaster-patch

he would be OK to be an OA ASM.

On 2/28/2018 at 11:05 AM, Eagle94-A1 said:

Why am I not surprised that 1 BSA publication contradicts another BSA publication.:confused:

How are they contradicting? I am not seeing any reference to qualifications for OA rep adviser in the first link.

8 hours ago, HelpfulTracks said:

How are they contradicting? I am not seeing any reference to qualifications for OA rep adviser in the first link.

First link states "The position patch simply designates that person as the ASM who is advising the troop or team representative and helping him to be successful."

ASMs are 18 and older. My interpretation is that ANY ASM who is helping the OA rep be successful qualifies.