Mayor Give Pack Awards?

Can a mayor give scouting awards to cub scouts? Opinions on this please?

Our cub scout pack is holding their Blue & Gold dinner tomorrow. The mayor has been invited and is joining us for part of the day. We thought it would be nice for him to give 2 of our awards out. These 2 awards/situations are a bit more special than an average award so we thought it would be nice for him to do (and media may be involved).

We have surprisingly been met with resistance from the old blood within the pack. They feel that he is only a guest and should not give any awards because he is not involved with/a member of our pack. The awards should only be given by den leaders or the cubmaster.

The mayor was a cubscout in our pack when he was a kid. He gave our pack $1000 for uniforms and books. He gives us a school bus and driver from the town to use for events 1 or 2 times a year. He has asked us to lead parades, etc.

The younger blood feels that is may be a snub to not ask him to be a part of the awards process. Hit me with your thoughts & opinions? Thanks.

I wish someone from my town did something like that!

We couldn’t even get a council member...

I find this a great oppurtunity and a great achievement that the mayor appreciates their pack.

Traditionally, yes, DLs, CMs, etc, usually give out awards, but why not switch it up?

• Like 2

I would think it was a fine idea even if the mayor was not an “alumnus” of the pack and an active supporter.  With those factors added, it’s a great idea.  What a good way to solidify community support for the pack.

Plus, the Scouter who would otherwise be presenting the award can be standing next to the mayor for the presentation.  Maybe he/she can introduce the mayor.  It could be made into a positive thing for everybody.

Edited by NJCubScouter

Are you KIDDING ME?!? 

Any pack in this country would give their right arm (right den?) to have a community leader as generous and loyal to Scouting as that man! I dare say the fact that he is a former pack member himself makes the whole thing sound too good to possibly be true; what a FABULOUS friend and opportunity you have - wow I am already envious (forgive me!).

There is no rule whatsoever that states only pack leaders can hand out awards - in fact this kind of community involvement should be the ideal of every Scouting unit. As it turns out, hosting community and civic leaders at Scouting ceremonies seems to have been a common occurrence in the first half of the last century, though in the latter decades Scouting units unfortunately became more insular and less bold in getting local leaders involved. But think of the benefits! It gets the community involved in Scouting and their young people's lives, it makes local leaders aware of the program and more likely to involve it in its growth and development, and it gives the boys a well-earned and legitimate understanding that, even as youth, they are important players in their community and their nation. 

You go to your committee and tell them this kind of opportunity is absolutely heaven-sent and can only do good for your program. And besides even all that - your mayor sounds like one ardent supporter of the pack who more than deserves to participate in your ceremonies, at any level. You are extraordinarily fortunate to have him.

Edited by The Latin Scot
  • Upvote 1
15 hours ago, karunamom3 said:

The Cubmaster is fine with it. It is the Committee Chair who is opposed. 

It is the Committee's job to support the Unit Leader as he/she delivers the program.

I would tell the CC that tails don't wag dogs, but as I'm watching mine, I'm not entirely sure that's true.

Here's where you can split hairs. The Mayor isn't giving the awards unless they are some sort of civic recognition. Either scouting is giving them or the recipients earned them. The Mayor is only presenting them on behalf of the pack.

Seems to me like the old blood might have some sort of personal issues with this mayor. Either way, I think it is wonderful that the scouts get to see and meet someone from THEIR pack who ROSE to the top LEADERSHIP position in your community. If that's not what scouting is about, maybe the old blood are thinking about some other organization. 

I am getting into this conversation late, but because of the Mayors munificence (donations, support) would it not be appropriate to award HIM some special award ?  A "sparkplug" or  "Bowline" or "Cub Arch Support" award?   Easy to make, fun and smiles elicited. Then , of course he could turn around and help present the other "special" awards.   

Why do we want celebrities and officials to write our nascent Eagles congratulatory letters?  

I'm late to this, but wanted to add the flavor that for the most part, these are not awards, but advancements earned.   These could be presented by anyone - the Cubmaster or Den Leader does it so that out feels more special.

On 2/25/2018 at 1:56 PM, qwazse said:

It is the Committee's job to support the Unit Leader as he/she delivers the program.

I would tell the CC that tails don't wag dogs, but as I'm watching mine, I'm not entirely sure that's true.

The BSA structure encourages this.  From the BSA's Pack Committee description:

"Every pack is under the supervision of a pack committee,...".  

"The pack committee chair leads the pack committee and thus is responsible for the administration, oversight, and support of the pack program."

It may not be appreciated - and indeed is something a CC needs to do infrequently, but if he/she thinks a Cubmaster is going in the wrong direction it's his/her job to say so.

• Upvote 1