What do your senior scouts do at summer camp?

On 2/24/2018 at 7:39 AM, ItsBrian said:

I didn’t go to summer camp last year due to working at the day camp. I’m 15 and 2 Eagle merit badges away. (no summer camps really offer the ones I need around me). 

I don’t even know if I will be able to miss a week of the day camp to attend summer camp, it depends on what position I get this year.

What do your senior scouts do at summer camp to keep busy?

Take fun badges.  

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

They always to seem to find something ... Hang out and give sage advice to younger scouts. Talk with adults around campfire after taps about how to solve the problems of the world.

Many BSA summer camps (ours included) have a high adventure program specifically targeted at older scouts who are not interested in earning merit badges. Very tempting activities like climbing, mounta

At Our summer camp we have several High Adventure courses, one is very awesome and its called L.O.S.T. Lake Ouachita Summer Trek The LOST program is a staple of the Ozark Venture Base.  Are

Some take COPE, some have taken some MB classes they have not had an opportunity to take prior (Welding / Metalwork / One took Orienteering), some have participated in the whitewater challenge (5 days / 5 rivers) some have taken the offsite options; backpacking / whitewater / other things.  One Eagle took BSA Lifeguard one year.  They assist as JASM's for the week and guide the new scouts.

Our guideline is scheduled things during the morning before lunch.  Afternoons enjoy the camp, some sleep all afternoon.

At Our summer camp we have several High Adventure courses, one is very awesome and its called L.O.S.T.

Lake Ouachita Summer Trek

The LOST program is a staple of the Ozark Venture Base.  Are you ready for 5 days of adventure and paddling the waters of Arkansas in a single-person touring kayak? Lake Ouachita is dotted with islands, shoals, gravel bars and cliffs. Opportunities on this week-long wilderness adventure include snorkeling, GPS navigation, hiking, world-class fishing, exploring, lakeside camping, deep-water soloing and much more! This program is perfect for troops, crews, and ships as well as individuals.  

After check-in and health re-check at Kia Kima Scout Reservation, LOST participants will meet their trek guides and immediately begin a gear shakedown and equipment introduction. Participants will then load up into vehicles and head to the off-site staging area to begin their five day adventure, so it is imperative that everyone comes prepared with their gear separate from the rest of the troop or crew. The group will not return to camp until Friday evening for the closing campfire.

All participants in the LOST program must be able to pass the BSA Swimmer Test, be physically fit and be proficient in basic boating skills. This program will provide instruction in touring kayak skills, extremely light gear camping, trek planning, wilderness camping, and open water navigation. LOST will prove to be a unique adventure comparable to programs such as Northern Tier. Space is limited to just 8 participants per week. So, are you ready to go paddling?

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, JasonG172 said:

At Our summer camp we have several High Adventure courses, one is very awesome and its called L.O.S.T.

Lake Ouachita Summer Trek

The LOST program is a staple of the Ozark Venture Base.  Are you ready for 5 days of adventure and paddling the waters of Arkansas in a single-person touring kayak? Lake Ouachita is dotted with islands, shoals, gravel bars and cliffs. Opportunities on this week-long wilderness adventure include snorkeling, GPS navigation, hiking, world-class fishing, exploring, lakeside camping, deep-water soloing and much more! This program is perfect for troops, crews, and ships as well as individuals.  

After check-in and health re-check at Kia Kima Scout Reservation, LOST participants will meet their trek guides and immediately begin a gear shakedown and equipment introduction. Participants will then load up into vehicles and head to the off-site staging area to begin their five day adventure, so it is imperative that everyone comes prepared with their gear separate from the rest of the troop or crew. The group will not return to camp until Friday evening for the closing campfire.

All participants in the LOST program must be able to pass the BSA Swimmer Test, be physically fit and be proficient in basic boating skills. This program will provide instruction in touring kayak skills, extremely light gear camping, trek planning, wilderness camping, and open water navigation. LOST will prove to be a unique adventure comparable to programs such as Northern Tier. Space is limited to just 8 participants per week. So, are you ready to go paddling?

That all sounds pretty good but how much $$ ? I went on the website and it doesnt list the prices.

1 hour ago, Urbanredneck said:

That all sounds pretty good but how much $$ ? I went on the website and it doesnt list the prices.

If you refer the to leaders guide (download)

255.00 In Council

270.00 Out of Council

50$. additional for LOST

2 hours ago, JasonG172 said:

If you refer the to leaders guide (download)

255.00 In Council

270.00 Out of Council

50$. additional for LOST

That is so cheap!!!

All the camps in NJ and PA are from 330-450