What do your senior scouts do at summer camp?

I didn’t go to summer camp last year due to working at the day camp. I’m 15 and 2 Eagle merit badges away. (no summer camps really offer the ones I need around me). 

I don’t even know if I will be able to miss a week of the day camp to attend summer camp, it depends on what position I get this year.

What do your senior scouts do at summer camp to keep busy?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

They always to seem to find something ... Hang out and give sage advice to younger scouts. Talk with adults around campfire after taps about how to solve the problems of the world.

Many BSA summer camps (ours included) have a high adventure program specifically targeted at older scouts who are not interested in earning merit badges. Very tempting activities like climbing, mounta

At Our summer camp we have several High Adventure courses, one is very awesome and its called L.O.S.T. Lake Ouachita Summer Trek The LOST program is a staple of the Ozark Venture Base.  Are

6 minutes ago, MattR said:

Try going to a summer camp that has a program for older scouts.

Do you have friends your age in your troop?

I've only seen one summer camp around us that has one. It's a pretty dirty and poor camp.

I only have one my age.

3 minutes ago, David CO said:

Swimming. Fishing. Boating. Water Skiing. I know it's rough, but somebody's gotta do it.

Those are usually for only a hour a day (the open time, not the merit badge). Never heard of water skiing at a camp.

Edited by ItsBrian
Just now, ItsBrian said:

Those are usually for only a hour a day. Never heard of water skiing at a camp.

Water skiing/water boarding is one of the most popular activities with my older kids. The speed boat is out on the lake most of the afternoon on nice days. 

4 minutes ago, David CO said:

What is the point of teaching a boy to do something (merit badge) if you're not going to let him do it (open time)?

Most camps I've been to have like 3-4 different water/boating merit badges. Then, usually only around 30 mins to a hour few times during the week called "open boating or open swimming"

The camp we go to offers a jet ski and ATV program for scouts 14 and older.  They also have a pontoon boat that can be used (with adult supervision).  Of course you can still do the merit badges you don't have and work on getting some palms as you still have time to do that.

1 hour ago, ItsBrian said:

Most camps I've been to have like 3-4 different water/boating merit badges. Then, usually only around 30 mins to a hour few times during the week called "open boating or open swimming"

This is probably more common than not. I don't like the focus on MBs. How about take the fun merit badges again and talk to the counselors about what you're really there for and see if they can help you out.

Another option: Why not work at camp? You might not get paid, because of your age, but you can have a lot of fun. If the staff is good then you can make some life time friends.

Depends on the Scout.

Since none of the MBs you need are offered, what is offered that you are interested in? Some will take other MBs, and 2 scouts I know repeated MBs they already had for fun. While one SM I met said it was a waste of their time and money, the Scouts had fun. Personally I wish one them would have taken Lifesaving again instead of Swimming so he could practice skills, and I could "drown" him when I played victim. :)

Some camps offer specialty programs/ HA programs. Camp I went do offered a HA program that was a BLAST!

BSA Lifeguard is another option, and if you take the ARC test, you can get a job too. I lifeguarded throughout HS and college once certified.

Working camp is another suggestion.

To me it seems as if fewer and fewer camps offer free swim, boating, and shooting. If your camp offers that, chill out and do that.

2 hours ago, MattR said:

Another option: Why not work at camp? You might not get paid, because of your age, but you can have a lot of fun. If the staff is good then you can make some life time friends.

As I said in my post, I staffed at one of my councils day camp last year (I was paid, just made the cut off). I stated that it depends on the position I get it if can go or not.

Ive talked to people who staffed a summer camp and they got paid less then I did, and they worked there for around 2-3 years. I understand that the camp pays for your lodging, meals, etc. but like come on.

This is just so I have a idea of what I could do if I can get a week off at the day camp. :)

41 minutes ago, Eagle94-A1 said:

Depends on the Scout.

Since none of the MBs you need are offered, what is offered that you are interested in? Some will take other MBs, and 2 scouts I know repeated MBs they already had for fun. While one SM I met said it was a waste of their time and money, the Scouts had fun. Personally I wish one them would have taken Lifesaving again instead of Swimming so he could practice skills, and I could "drown" him when I played victim. :)

Some camps offer specialty programs/ HA programs. Camp I went do offered a HA program that was a BLAST!

BSA Lifeguard is another option, and if you take the ARC test, you can get a job too. I lifeguarded throughout HS and college once certified.

Working camp is another suggestion.

To me it seems as if fewer and fewer camps offer free swim, boating, and shooting. If your camp offers that, chill out and do that.

Read my post above about me working at camp ^