Personal Scouting Goals

The following is what I came up with last night.  This began with thinking about planning for next year when my Tigers are Wolves and I just went crazy.  :)    Thoughts?

I have never been a goal setter, just never got the hang of it. I guess I couldn't see far enough ahead to make real goals. When my daughter was born in 2008 we decided I was going to be the one to stay home, so I have gotten in a rut since then, not doing much aside from hanging around the house. Last fall the boy came home from school wanting to join Cub Scouts after the talk they had at school. Not long after I "joined" cub scouts too. 1f642.png:) My anxiety has reached new levels since then going to scary Roundtables and being front and center for den meetings. BUT, I feel I have done surprisingly well connecting with my Tigers and communicating well with the parents. HUGE accomplishments for me. At our Blue and Gold over the weekend I even survived being in front of EVERYONE without collapsing. 1f642.png:) Today I started thinking about how and when I really need to start planning what I am going to do next year with we start the Wolf program. Which in turn lead to Scouting goals that I can make.

This year (May I think) I will complete BALOO and other courses, not sure what all that weekend will cover, but it is more than just BALOO. I will also complete an Adult / Child CPR/AED First aid course with certification.

Next Year I am going to make every effort to go to Wood Badge.

I am a non-swimmer, this was a big limitation when I was in Boy Scouts. To that end I will do what needs to be done so that I can pass the BSA swim test. I don't really care if I swim recreationally, but I will make it a personal priority to pass that swim test.

My son will be a Wolf next year, and although it shouldn't take that long I have 4 years to achieve my next goal. I will at the very least complete the requirements for the Scout through First Class Badge. I know I can't earn the badges, but that does not mean I can't do the work.

These goals will help me in Scouting as well as become a healthier happier person.

• Upvote 2
5 hours ago, 5thGenTexan said:

I am a non-swimmer, this was a big limitation when I was in Boy Scouts. To that end I will do what needs to be done so that I can pass the BSA swim test. I don't really care if I swim recreationally, but I will make it a personal priority to pass that swim test.

I think it's really great that you are taking up the challenge to pass the swim test. Your experience will really help you to be a coach and cheerleader to the Scouts who will need a boost to complete their own test.

• Upvote 1

I had to work hard to pass the swim test too. Made me more sympathetic to the youth who struggle and it was good for the boys to see the old guys had challenges too. I too had some Scouting goals....I had to lose weight to participate (my doc holds that annual physical over my head every year :) ) and doing 60 miles on the AT was a real physical challenge. I am  a slow bit consistent hiker (hence the 'Turtle' in the handle)  always bringing up the rear. It can be a humbling experience but I believe their is great virtue in humility and it pays off in authenticity when I am out with some of the boys.

Another goal for me was to make Scoutmaster training at Woodruff SR. I had to be persistent over a couple of years to get a slot the week I was there but it really benefited me as a Scouter. I am very proud of my training patch, probably as proud as some of my academic or career achievements. It reminds me that some of the "requirements" can be a personal challenge for some boys and it varies by individual --some it is organizational, mental, inter-relational, physical, or phobias.

Sorry for ramble @5thGenTexan...Scout On! 

• Upvote 1