Our Troop has generally had stuff stored in the Scoutmaster's garage.  Prior to that, it was spread among various homes, but that can be logistically challenging?   Our incoming SM does not have space for the Troop's stuff and our CO does not offer space.  We rent a spot for our Troop Trailer at a storage facility that is apparently reasonable.  Maybe we would purchase another trailer just for storage.  It seems storage facilities are expensive.  Any suggestions?  How does your Troop mange its stuff?? 

Thanks!

CO built us a 16 x 20 shed.  We put shelving in and it works great.  The troop is the only one with the keys.  Also we have a small trailer we load for outings

If the CO will let you build one, one of the garden sheds, maybe a 10 x 10 would be about $2,000.  Which may be out of reach, but a longer term solution and likely less expensive over several years

We are fortunate that our CO has a mostly unused basement. We keep all of our gear in a caged area. Our Klondike sleds and a few other large items are outside the cage. We store our trailer in the parking lot of an industrial building owned by a local electrician. We have a designated parking spot next to a small dog park, so there is a lot of coming and going, which makes that lot a relatively safe location.

You might want to see if you can find a similar local business that has space for you to locate a shed.

2 hours ago, WisconsinMomma said:

How does your Troop mange its stuff?? 

Beyond the obvious that you've no doubt investigated:

• Fundraise to cover the cost of a pod or storage facility space. 
  • Contact a storage contractor and see if they'd we willing to donate the space annual or reduce price.
  • Work with the CO to build a unit/area/room on property which they and you can use.
  • Find an alumnus with property willing to allow you to store stuff.
  • Contact other units in your district and see if they will 1) allow you to store stuff, or 2) go in on a storage facility with you.
  • If council camp is near by see if they will allow you to store on-site (highly doubt they will, but worth talking).
  • Contact council to see what other options they have.

Of course, access, security, money, etc., are all issues to varying degrees with which you will have to deal.

• Upvote 1

We have a shed on the lot of a company with a lot of land. Maybe you could ask for someone to donate you some space. I'm not sure how much a shed costs but it might be better than renting a spot. We keep our stuff in the shed and also have an enclosed trailer there. It's not as nice as having space at the CO but it works.

Our CO had a large shed with shelf space. Scouts had one small section.... and it seemed like other ministries (Knights, Men's Club, etc...) would often encroach.

But honestly, the pack only had a pinewood derby track and a few other things...not much....  As CM I found a small pack in need for our old unused wooden track and got that out of there

and the troop had some junk that was never used anyway.  I think a year or two ago most all of it was culled.

I think pretty much everything lives in the trailer now.

The difference I think might be that we don't have a lot in the way of unit owned personal gear to store (troop maintains a spare tent or two, and a couple emergency sleeping bags in the trailer) but scouts bring their own tents and sleep systems and personal gear.  Room in the trailer to haul it.  The troop maintains Camp Kitchen boxes for each patrol, some lanterns and LP tanks, ezup awnings, first aid kit, etc...

I'd be surprised if the district would...but not terribly surprised if you found another unit willing to help....although I can't imagine that being overly convenient.

OH, i remembered the other thing the pack had to store.... a couple rain gutters I bought and donated to the pack for a simple regatta pack meeting.  I wonder if they were ever used again??  That was a loud and high energy pack meeting :) 

Everything else we had lived in the small pack trailer.

I'm still struggling to think of much that the troop has to store out of the trailer.  The only thing I can think of is the troop flag and the log that has holes drilled to hold candles for their COH.  I never understood the scouts liking that ceremony...I suspect it was mom invented, and mom encouraged.