Memorial Day - Scout ceremonies

Oz:

"Remembrance Day" is known as Veterans Day here in the US. It was originally Armistice Day, celebrated on the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11 Month, when the armistice ending WWI was signed. It is now Veterans' Day and is one of the few holidays that was not moved to a Monday by Congress. It is proper to fly the national ensign at half-staff until noon, at which time it is restored to full-staff.

We are proud to have the Australians as allies throughout the past century.(This message has been edited by scoutldr)

I just got back from VFW Post ceremony where our troop performed the flag ceremony for the 4th year. This one was different; however, with the presence of 2 families of local soldiers who recently gave the ultimate sacrifice in Iraq. The fact that these soldiers were just a few years older than our scouts was sombering to all.

When I was a Scout, we carried the wreath at the local veteran's memorial to the single headstone for all those lost in WWII. I was carrying it on behalf of my Uncle Elmer who never returned from his last mission as a Staff Seargent in New Guinea, Army Air Corps.

Today I just finished my lone man service project. I'm new to the area, so I don't know many people, but one of my traditions on Memorial Day is to call the veterans I'm aware of and thank them for their service. Sometimes they want to talk about it, but most of the time they graciously accept the thank you and are deeply appreciative of the call.

Today I talked to:

A man who survived the Battle of the Bulge

A man who was a b-52 pilot

A man who was a POW in Vietnam for 8 years

A retired Vietnam-Era Sergeant Major

And about 10 others who have sacrificed so much for our benefit.

Thanks to all who serve.

Unc.

Our ceremony/Good Turn was yesterday, at the National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific (The "Punchbowl")in Honolulu.

We had 25 Scouts in full regalia, who joined at least a thousand others from the Island. After an opening ceremony, each unit went to a specific section. There were tubs filled with American Flags in bundles, and each boy took a bundle, and placed a flag in front of each headstone in his row. The Cub Scouts placed donated flower leis around each flag. Amazingly, the entire process took less than 30 minutes, for over 33,000 graves.

Before the opening ceremony, I brought the Scouts in close to me, and told them that the United States is one of just a few countries in the world established on an idea(individual liberty and personal freedoms), not a physical place; and that thousands have given their lives to defend that idea. It's never been easy, and you're surrounded by 33,000 examples as proof. I told them that as they place the flags, take a second to look at the name on the headstone, and they'd see that the Americans buried there came from everywhere...not a place, an idea.

As they placed the flags, they brushed cut grass off the headstones, and took special care to ensure their flags were centered and straight. They seemed most affected by the many "unknowns", particularly in the Korean War section.

They can sure be knuckleheads at times, but days like this make the frustrations worth it.

KS

Unc I believe that we have talked about your your MIA relation before and I was thinking of him just a couple of weeks ago. I wish I could do some searching up there. Lovely people and your uncle is not alone in the MIA list for PNG - there are plenty to find. A few more turn up every few years. Hereś hoping for you.

I had planned to participate in our VFW's Memorial Day ceremoney, but we had to play in the regional finals for baseball at the same time so that didnt work:(

We did play the national athem there and I 'bout had to kick a few in the rear end, they figured it out half-way through.

BTW-we lost... i know somebody would ask;)