Memorial Day - Scout ceremonies

Our Troop participates in the Memorial Day services put on our local American Legion Post. They do a service at the Post's Memorial Park and 4 local cemeteries.

Yours in Scouting,

Scott

Our Troop is joining many others on Oahu to place flags on every grave at the National Cemetery of the Pacific at the Punchbowl -- this is a Council-level annual event. My first time, but many in the Troop have done it for years...

KS

Our Pack has been asked to assist with placing flags on the graves of veterans at the local cemetery on Friday afternoon, and also to march in the town Memorial Day Parade on Memorial Day itself. We plan to do both.

We replace the flags on the veterans graves at a local cemetary the Saturday before Memorial Day. On Memorial Day we , participate in a ceremony at the borough fire department then we march in the local parade with the local VFW Post.

Ed Mori

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

ozemu,

For a really good understanding of Memorial Day go to www.usmemorialday.org . It originally was to honor the war dead from our Civil War, and is now for honoring all of our veterans who died in the defense of our freedom and country.

• 2 weeks later...

thanks ed and baschram645 for the info.

had never heard of it before and was expecting an anniversary of a battle or peace treaty.

i believe that remembrance day (11am 11 nov) is also observed in the US. it gets a second place over here after anzac day (first day of battle for australians in ww1-25 apr 1915) i imagine that your memorial day is similarly important.

i 'll spare a moment for your dead on that day too.

sorry for the delay in reply. have been busy lately.

Four of our scouts participated in a color guard this morning at our charter sponsor's worship. It was a patriotic/religious ceremony recognizing our fallen soldiers and our veterans. I was proud that our troop was asked by the church to participate, and I was even more proud of the manner that they carried out their responsibility. A snappy salute to all who participate in ceremonies this weekend!

Ozemu:

I am deeply touched and nearly moved to tears by your respect for the U.S. Veterans and for our holiday.

I salute you, sir, and will say a similar prayer for your nation's deceased on 11/11.

Unc.