Good Council/District program examples

I’m in search of examples of top-quality innovative and creative Council or District-organized Cub program events and activities, such as

- STEM science days at museums or observatories

- Day hikes and nature programs at state parks or council camps

- Cub family camping weekends at council camps with organized programs

- Fishing derbies

What does your council or district do a great job at?

• Upvote 1

Laurel Highlands Council holds Haunted Guyasuta in October for Cubs. Scouts help staff various activity tables. This year, however, they "didn't have room" for a scouter to set up Jamboree on the Air, which was occurring on the same day ... a pathetic mark against an over wise outstanding program.

Qwaze’s post reminded me of something else a day camp does.

In October or November they open for a weekend and any kid can come for free with their parents and basically experience a day at camp (besides things like fishing, canoeing). Staff from the camp usually come back and volunteer.

One highlight from my Council is our in town day camp.  Our council camps work great for some scouts, but they are 45 min to 1 hour commute from some areas of our council.  That commute time does not work well for Cub Scout day camp.  So, the council added some camps closer to the areas of the council that are far from our camps.  One is held at a parish school.  They have a lot of great activities including  shooting sports (inside the school).  They also do 1 field trip to camp for water sports.  This has really helped more scouts attend a day camp.

One somewhat funny story.  They were originally going to hold this in town day camp at an US Army Reserve base; however, the city where that base is located does not allow any discharge of weapons (which include BB guns).  So, they changed locations and the B.B. gun range is in a parish school basement.

• Haha 1
3 hours ago, Eagle1993 said:

One highlight from my Council is our in town day camp.  Our council camps work great for some scouts, but they are 45 min to 1 hour commute from some areas of our council.  That commute time does not work well for Cub Scout day camp.  So, the council added some camps closer to the areas of the council that are far from our camps.  One is held at a parish school.  They have a lot of great activities including  shooting sports (inside the school).  They also do 1 field trip to camp for water sports.  This has really helped more scouts attend a day camp.

One somewhat funny story.  They were originally going to hold this in town day camp at an US Army Reserve base; however, the city where that base is located does not allow any discharge of weapons (which include BB guns).  So, they changed locations and the B.B. gun range is in a parish school basement.

Your day camp does not provide bussing?

1 hour ago, ItsBrian said:

Your day camp does not provide bussing?

No it does not.  Some Packs did get together to do bussing in the past but there was limited usage as many kids weren’t excited to spend 1.5 - 2 hours per day on a bus.  Plus if there was an issue on the interstate it could take much longer (in order to get to the camp you really need to take the only east/west interstate in the area and an accident can significantly impact the commute time).  The in town day camp ended up being a more successful solution.

3 hours ago, Eagle1993 said:

No it does not.  Some Packs did get together to do bussing in the past but there was limited usage as many kids weren’t excited to spend 1.5 - 2 hours per day on a bus.  Plus if there was an issue on the interstate it could take much longer (in order to get to the camp you really need to take the only east/west interstate in the area and an accident can significantly impact the commute time).  The in town day camp ended up being a more successful solution.

Interesting! I believe there is only 2 councils in NJ, and one council has 2, and I’m not sure how many the other one has but has atleast one. They both provide bussing that I know of. The bus routes do end up being a hour long, but it’s not too bad. 

Most scouts on my bus slept in the morning and then in the afternoon since they had fun!

Edited by ItsBrian
1 hour ago, ItsBrian said:

Interesting! I believe there is only 2 councils in NJ, and one council has 2, and I’m not sure how many the other one has but has atleast one. They both provide bussing that I know of. The bus routes do end up being a hour long, but it’s not too bad. 

Most scouts on my bus slept in the morningn and then in the afternoon since they had fun!

There are actually 7 councils that serve New Jersey, two of which are based in Pennsylvania but serve part of NJ.  The ones entirely in NJ are Patriots Path, Northern New Jersey, Monmouth County, Jersey Shore and Garden State (far-Southern NJ).  Washington's Crossing Council was the Bucks County Council and was entirely in Pa. until it picked up some areas in NJ that were orphaned by the collapse of the Central Jersey Council.  Minsi Trails Council (home of the late great Old Grey Eagle) is mainly in Pa. but includes Warren County NJ.  When I was a Boy Scout there were probably 20 councils in NJ, but alas. 

2 minutes ago, NJCubScouter said:

There are actually 7 councils that serve New Jersey, two of which are based in Pennsylvania but serve part of NJ.  The ones entirely in NJ are Patriots Path, Northern New Jersey, Monmouth County, Jersey Shore and Garden State (far-Southern NJ).  Washington's Crossing Council was the Bucks County Council and was entirely in Pa. until it picked up some areas in NJ that were orphaned by the collapse of the Central Jersey Council.  Minsi Trails Council (home of the late great Old Grey Eagle) is mainly in Pa. but includes Warren County NJ.  When I was a Boy Scout there were probably 20 councils in NJ, but alas. 

Really? I never knew that! I know patriots path merged with another council a while and go. I thought they merged with the one that was in north jersey?

My apologizes.

Edited by ItsBrian
8 minutes ago, ItsBrian said:

Really? I never knew that! I know patriots path merged with another council a while ago. I thought they merged with the one that was in north jersey?

My apologizes. 

No apology necessary.  We can't all be as old as I am.  :D   Patriots Path Council was created in 2000 by the merger of the Watchung Area Council (most of Somerset and Union Counties and a small piece of Middlesex County) and the Morris-Sussex Area Council (speaks for itself.) When the Central New Jersey Council collapsed a few years ago, most of northern Middlesex County and the rest of Somerset County was absorbed by our council.

16 minutes ago, NJCubScouter said:

When the Central New Jersey Council collapsed a few years ago, most of northern Middlesex County and the rest of Somerset County was absorbed by our council.

That’s the council I was thinking about.