Same CO...multiple CORs

I'm not sure I agree with the assessment that the COR shouldn't attend meetings.

That's like saying that a Congressman shouldn't be aware of what's going on with his constituents.....hey, wait a minute...bad analogy:confused:

I'd think they should be at Committee meetings often...maybe not every meeting, but most....and at least a few unit meetings now and then to get a pulse on what's going on....

Regardless....all theoretical in my experience.

On another note.... what percentage of COR's do you think actually meet at the district or council level....let's say at least one meeting a year?  My guess it's a low fraction.

29 minutes ago, blw2 said:

I'm not sure I agree with the assessment that the COR shouldn't attend meetings.

That's like saying that a Congressman shouldn't be aware of what's going on with his constituents.....hey, wait a minute...bad analogy:confused:

I'd think they should be at Committee meetings often...maybe not every meeting, but most....and at least a few unit meetings now and then to get a pulse on what's going on....

Regardless....all theoretical in my experience.

On another note.... what percentage of COR's do you think actually meet at the district or council level....let's say at least one meeting a year?  My guess it's a low fraction.

I don’t know a single COR around me that has ever even interacted with council. Mostly the CC’s do it.

The COR appoints new unit leaders, so it is entirely appropriate for a COR to attend a meeting to introduce a newly appointed leader. I think that is often enough. More often than that and people are likely to feel that the COR is micromanaging the unit leaders.

23 minutes ago, ItsBrian said:

I don’t know a single COR around me that has ever even interacted with council. Mostly the CC’s do it.

Unfortunately, it is not realistically possible for a COR to avoid the council altogether. Some council interaction is unavoidable, but it usually takes place behind the scenes, and unit scouters are often unaware of it taking place.

The CC should never step in and do the COR's duties.  

4 minutes ago, David CO said:

Unfortunately, it is not realistically possible for a COR to avoid the council altogether. Some council interaction is unavoidable, but it usually takes place behind the scenes, and unit scouters are often unaware of it taking place.

Our COR does not go to council. I know that for a fact. We live about a hour from the council center. 

The CO doesn’t really want to be involved. They love having us there and helping them clean up for events, etc. but they don’t really get involved besides signing off on the application. He’s more just a name on paper. Never attended a meeting either.

Edited by ItsBrian
17 hours ago, David CO said:

Unfortunately, it is not realistically possible for a COR to avoid the council altogether. Some council interaction is unavoidable, but it usually takes place behind the scenes, and unit scouters are often unaware of it taking place......

Maybe....but I have serious doubts.  Safe bet our COR has never had interaction except when we track him down to sign something...

17 hours ago, David CO said:

No argument there....just like the CM or SM should never do the CC or committee member stuff....etc...

but that aint likely to ever be reality either....

21 hours ago, ItsBrian said:

The CO doesn’t really want to be involved. 

Don't blame the COR for it. The COR is supposed to represent the CO and follow the lead of the IH. If the CO wants to boycott council, the COR doesn't go.

Most of my unit considered my long-time COR to be a bit of a clown. In fact, he was a professional clown. He also did super heroes and holiday characters. He didn't attend district meetings, but he had a standing offer to entertain the kids, free of charge, at any boy scout/cub scout function. The boys loved him. He was a great guy.

He also had a Pedro costume. I'll give you two guesses who got to be the back side of the donkey. Some people felt it was type-casting.

• Haha 2
4 minutes ago, David CO said:

Most of my unit considered my long-time COR to be a bit of a clown. In fact, he was a professional clown. He also did super heroes and holiday characters. He didn't attend district meetings, but he had a standing offer to entertain the kids, free of charge, at any boy scout/cub scout function. The boys loved him. He was a great guy.

:D

He also had a Pedro costume. I'll give you two guesses who got to be the back side of the donkey. Some people felt it was type-casting.

You, and you? Or some other Bozo?  :)

Edited by NJCubScouter
  • Haha 1
33 minutes ago, NJCubScouter said:

:D

You, and you? Or some other Bozo?  :)

Not Bozo. He never put me into a clown suit. He took his clowning very seriously, and felt that only skilled actors should don the fright wig and big red nose. His clown character had a pet chicken, so I would often be assigned to the big beak and yellow feathers, where I was less likely to lay an egg.

Edited by David CO

The COR is what they choose to be. They can be a paper official,  or take an active role, be there to help make decisions.  "Offishully"  , the COR and IH decide and approve who is and who is not the Unit Leaders.  It is their signature on the appointments and applications, yes?

When  Chicago Council set about disassembling their camps, it was the volunteers that got the Council Voting Members (the CORs) together and embarrassed the Chicago Council leaders AND National, who thought they had a slam dunk in selling off all the camps.  Owasippee is still there, thanks to the CORs who got together and voted their votes, finally, and made the stink and reminded the County Boards who should be in charge.   Lots of discussion on Scouter.com about it.    AND   https://www.michigan-sportsman.com/forum/threads/owasippe-scout-property-in-jeopardy.90741/

that idea has been discussed before....almost....shared committees

I do think your example of shared meeting and shared leaders all with one common head has some merit...at least "on paper"

Back when I was CM, our CC was the SM.  Based on his preference, I as CM sat as CC for the troop.

In my experience it "sounded" better on paper than in reality.  It was done in an effort to help open communication between the units, ultimately I think mostly to foster exposure of the troop to the cubs so they would be more likely to join our troop as opposed to the one across the street.

I reality, he was not effective for the pack with no "skin in the game" & I wasn't for the troop.

In the end it didn't last long.  I was effectively the CC and CM for the pack, as well as doing a lot of teh other committee roles....so in the interest of the pack I told the troop that I needed to focus on the pack alone