Welcome to the forums. Do submit your idea via the Email using the address in the link that Bryan's blog sent you. Be patient, it takes years ... sometimes decades ... for an idea to congeal into a Merit Badge.

Edited by qwazse

UK used to have a Mining badge, probably not going to make a comeback...different times...

"A Scout must have a general knowledge of one particular branch of the mining industry, such as coal, iron or other mineral, with the special dangers involved, and safeguards against them, and must have worked below the surface for not less than six months."

• Confused 1

Well thats quite an interesting process mentioned. It says over they get 400 ideas a year and take years to make changes. I dont think they have added a new "craft" item in a while.

If any of you are curious, my idea for a new merit badge was : Paracord

You see I figure the scouts already do something similar, leathercraft, pottery, and basketry. All of which take a basic product like leather, clay, and grass, and use it for different things. Paracord is a very useful product not just in making bracelets but also helpful objects like tent fobs, tent lines, using paracord for repairs, using paracord as fire starter, use as emergency fishing line, axe handle wrap, makes a good shoelace for your boots and such. Here is a website with ideas.

• Upvote 3

I see that one of the newest MB, "Composites" is one of the least popular.  When it was announced, I thought "Really???"  It was suggested, developed and pushed through by an industry trade association.  My cynical side wonders how much they paid the BSA to put it into production.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, scoutldr said:

I see that one of the newest MB, "Composites" is one of the least popular.  When it was announced, I thought "Really???"  It was suggested, developed and pushed through by an industry trade association.  My cynical side wonders how much they paid the BSA to put it into production.

It’s so unpopular because it’s not interesting. 

Isn’t pulp and paper basically learning all about recycling, but a focus on paper?

2 hours ago, Urbanredneck said:

If any of you are curious, my idea for a new merit badge was : Paracord

You see I figure the scouts already do something similar, leathercraft, pottery, and basketry. All of which take a basic product like leather, clay, and grass, and use it for different things. Paracord is a very useful product not just in making bracelets but also helpful objects like tent fobs, tent lines, using paracord for repairs, using paracord as fire starter, use as emergency fishing line, axe handle wrap, makes a good shoelace for your boots and such. Here is a website with ideas.

I like it. Great website. Paracord is the duct tape of the outdoorsman, but astronauts use it too. :)

A requirement suggestion:

Where did paracord originate and for what purpose? What are the types of paracord sold and why is Mil-spec 550 the most preferred?

Edited by RememberSchiff