Sad sign of the times

22 minutes ago, Col. Flagg said:

Why is it that people want to take guns away from legal use under the auspices that access to them is bad and leads to crime, but they use the opposite argument when pot is mentioned? Access to guns=bad. Access to pot=good.

Either access to something is bad or good. You can't have it both ways...and be credible.

Because you don't often hear about someone being stoned to death, at least not in the marijuana sense of the word "stoned". ;)

How many people have killed other people with a joint? 

Edited by FireStone
  • Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

::Putting on moderator hat combat helmet:: This discussion of who (if anyone) is "dishonest" is over.  Now. The discussion of who or what is a "terrorist" or "terrorist organization," at lea

@.40AET, please do not leave the board or even the discussion.  You are certainly entitled to your opinion, as is @CalicoPenn In my opinion, one of the major problems with our society is the urge

The framers did envision the need for change. That's why they included a process by which the Constitution can be amended. My objection isn't to change. My objection is to those who would wish to chan

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Col. Flagg said:

Really? So people do pot never kill anyone while on pot? Never drive stoned and kill someone?

Really? C'mon.

I'm sure it happens. But I'd venture a guess that crime related to marijuana is probably lower than crime related to other drugs, and certainly to crime related to guns. 

1 minute ago, FireStone said:

I'm sure it happens. But I'd venture a guess that crime related to marijuana is probably lower than crime related to other drugs, and certainly to crime related to guns. 

I am sure the number of murderous sprees using an AR-15 are pretty low compared to other firearms.

You ask any cop about gateway drugs like pot and violent crime and give him your statement above and he'd laugh out loud.

2 minutes ago, Col. Flagg said:

Really? So people do pot never kill anyone while on pot? Never drive stoned and kill someone?

Really? C'mon.

drunk driving kills something like 30,000+ people a year... we don't hear calls for the ban on alcohol.  And when we did ban alcohol, we quickly learned how the black market meets that demand, drives organized crime through the roof and results in more death and destruction.  

I mean sure, banning meth has done wonders for the horrific opioid crisis we are in where close to 50,000 die every year. 

and of course, none of this takes into account that of all these things, one is protected by a constitutionally enumerated right... 

1 minute ago, Gwaihir said:

drunk driving kills something like 30,000+ people a year... we don't hear calls for the ban on alcohol.  And when we did ban alcohol, we quickly learned how the black market meets that demand, drives organized crime through the roof and results in more death and destruction.  

I mean sure, banning meth has done wonders for the horrific opioid crisis we are in where close to 50,000 die every year. 

and of course, none of this takes into account that of all these things, one is protected by a constitutionally enumerated right... 

Exactly the point. Banning and legalizing does little. When people want to do something bad enough they will find a way.

The answer lies beyond the old fall backs of ban this or legalize that.

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, Col. Flagg said:

I am sure the number of murderous sprees using an AR-15 are pretty low compared to other firearms.

You ask any cop about gateway drugs like pot and violent crime and give him your statement above and he'd laugh out loud.

violence by long guns is statistically non-existent compared to hand guns.  

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/14/sunday-review/the-assault-weapon-myth.html

20 minutes ago, Eagle1993 said:

Actually, the tool to fight tyranny is called a  ballot.  You’ll have much more success than going after Pence or Trump (or any other so called Tyrant) with an AR-15.  I would not recommend that approach.

The ballot is one tool, yes and it's working well in Venezuela... North Korea... Cuba... Syria... 

Frederic Douglass, who I'm going to go out on a limb here, is far smarter and more wise than most of us, and rose up from actually being a slave said 

"A man's rights rest in three boxes. The ballot box, jury box and the cartridge box. Let no man be kept from the ballot box because of his color. Let no woman be kept from the ballot box because of her sex"

The ballot box only works, when elections are still held in a democratic republic... if that disappeared, what ballots are you casting?  

Hmmm... we had the 2nd amendment but yet both of your examples still occurred.  I’d point to MLK or Ghandhi as examples of those who gained rights and freedom through non violence without the need to arm mentally ill teenagers with AR-15s.

33 minutes ago, Eagle1993 said:

Hmmm... we had the 2nd amendment but yet both of your examples still occurred.  I’d point to MLK or Ghandhi as examples of those who gained rights and freedom through non violence without the need to arm mentally ill teenagers with AR-15s.

Which examples? 

and I already stated that we need to understand the why, and solve that.  If there's mental illness, it needs to be cured, or if it's incurable, they need to be committed if they are a danger to themselves and society.   I also refuse to chalk everything up to "mental illness", that Hitler's only problem was he needed to see a psychiatrist and he wouldn't have killed 6 million people.  Sometimes, people make evil choices.  

Edited by Gwaihir