Sad sign of the times

Sad event again.  We will have to observe this at the meeting on Monday night

I remember in the summer of 2016 there was the Orlando nightclub shooting in June and we did the Half-Staff at summer camp for the week.  Then in July that same summer we were at summer camp 2 and observed Half-Staff for the Police officers killed in Dallas.

image.png.4fd39f3933fd81ae6ccac2bcf591eb0b.png

image.png

Edited by Jameson76
  • Sad 1
  • Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

::Putting on moderator hat combat helmet:: This discussion of who (if anyone) is "dishonest" is over.  Now. The discussion of who or what is a "terrorist" or "terrorist organization," at lea

@.40AET, please do not leave the board or even the discussion.  You are certainly entitled to your opinion, as is @CalicoPenn In my opinion, one of the major problems with our society is the urge

The framers did envision the need for change. That's why they included a process by which the Constitution can be amended. My objection isn't to change. My objection is to those who would wish to chan

Posted Images

13 minutes ago, Back Pack said:

My old high school just had a kid bring an unloaded gun to school today. It was just posted to the news 15 mins ago. 

Bad timing. 

45 minutes ago, David CO said:

It is very sad. Unfortunately, it is nothing new.  I think the Bath School Massacre (1927) is still considered by many to be the worst school attack in U.S. history.

Nothing new (I knew about that one BTW) but what would the historic pattern per 1,000 student population be? 

We had parents of one of our scouts present at the Las Vegas shooting.  The father is a hunter and immediately recognized the sound of bullets going thru the air, so he and his wife ran immediately out of the area being targeted.  The mother comforted one of the victims who was shot through the neck.  It was incredibly traumatic event for both involved.

I remember as a youth when we only did Tornado and fire drills... now these kids perform lockdown drills.  It really puts the problems in your life in perspective. 

1 hour ago, Tampa Turtle said:

Nothing new (I knew about that one BTW) but what would the historic pattern per 1,000 student population be? 

As with all statistics, it all depends on how you calculate the numbers. Some people only count gun related incidents. Others count all criminal acts that result in fatalities.

Including the Our Lady of the Angels fire (1958), which was caused by arson, would really skew the numbers.

15 hours ago, Eagle1993 said:

We had parents of one of our scouts present at the Las Vegas shooting.  The father is a hunter and immediately recognized the sound of bullets going thru the air, so he and his wife ran immediately out of the area being targeted.  The mother comforted one of the victims who was shot through the neck.  It was incredibly traumatic event for both involved.

I remember as a youth when we only did Tornado and fire drills... now these kids perform lockdown drills.  It really puts the problems in your life in perspective. 

Nothing new does not equate with doing nothing. Fire Codes were strengthened after Our Lady of the Angels. 

Got a Snapchat from friends I have still in my old high school. Seems cops are everywhere this morning. The kid who brought the gun yesterday was arrested and won’t be back but there was some chatter on social media about another possible thing today. The cops didn’t think it was serious but stepped up visibility anyway. Half my friends were kept Home by their parents. 

Edited by Back Pack

Threat (Social Media) to high school near us in Tampa, arrest made. Son's school announced all classroom doors locked at all times now.

I am not going to debate the issue on this forum. As this is a Florida issue I have already made my opinions known to my state and federal representatives. I am surprised at how quick parents have organized in the last 24 hours; I imagine it is more intense further south. It is an election year for many.

36 minutes ago, Tampa Turtle said:

If you are the cop  school resource officer. I am not so sure about arming teachers...some of my son's teachers seem nuts. Really.

I'm slightly hesitant to wade into this sad and dispiriting mire, and I won't presume to know what's right for your country, I really hope for all our sakes that change is made for the better.

• Upvote 3