What's the most effective way to give feedback?

Every Scout deserves his moment in the sun - alone.  It may be brief, but it's not a cattle call.  Efficiency is not a goal when we are doing recognition.  Mom and Dad should be able, at a minimum, to snap a picture or two.  Yes?

Limit the time for announcements.  Enforce the time limits, politely, to be sure.  Music? .   Suggest handouts; you can cite the need to be sure everyone gets the dates/times/details accurately.  Slides sounds great!.  Either handout or slides forces them to think about their message in advance vs. rambling on.

• Upvote 2
9 hours ago, TAHAWK said:

Enforce the time limits, politely, to be sure.  Music? 

Great.  Now I have to budget for an orchestra to be on hand to play people off who drone on too long

We go with Terry Tate - COH Linebacker

Terry Tate Office Linebacker - Too  long on the announcement Back to your seat

Edited by Jameson76
10 hours ago, TAHAWK said:

Every Scout deserves his moment in the sun - alone.  It may be brief, but it's not a cattle call.  Efficiency is not a goal when we are doing recognition.  Mom and Dad should be able, at a minimum, to snap a picture or two.  Yes?

Limit the time for announcements.  Enforce the time limits, politely, to be sure.  Music? .   Suggest handouts; you can cite the need to be sure everyone gets the dates/times/details accurately.  Slides sounds great!.  Either handout or slides forces them to think about their message in advance vs. rambling on.

When we streamlined things we still had time for photo ops and such. We recorded the whole COH on hd video because several of the guys were in av club at school. We still do even after those guys graduated with me. We have the historian act as photographer and parents can get pictures like a photo op on stage after the ceremony. We had to streamline the coh because people weren’t coming. We’d get maybe 30 or 40 people there which for our troop was small. We now average 150 or more because it only takes an hour for the ceremony. Now families can stay later if they want to get pictures and mingle which most do. But two hours of awards and talking was too much and nearly killed out coh. 

17 hours ago, MattR said:

SOAR does one other thing that really helps. Put an announcement on the front, whenever you want, and one day a week it emails a synopsis of all the most recent announcements. So, no flood of emails.

Exactly! And it automatically updates and events or files that have been updated. All such updates are included in the eBlast announcement that goes out each week. The email lists are priceless too. We can target emails to OA or PLC (or whatever groups you create). It also allows the PLs to communicate with their patrol (and by default, also with parents too).

I can honestly say that it has saved me tons of time. Couple that with Google Drive and Skype, we can collaborate whenever we need to. In fact, I was on a PLC Skype call last year and it was pretty cool. 10 kids and 4 adults. Got a lot done and the adults could still keep their day jobs. :cool:

• Upvote 1
19 minutes ago, Col. Flagg said:

Exactly! And it automatically updates and events or files that have been updated. All such updates are included in the eBlast announcement that goes out each week. The email lists are priceless too. We can target emails to OA or PLC (or whatever groups you create). It also allows the PLs to communicate with their patrol (and by default, also with parents too).

I can honestly say that it has saved me tons of time. Couple that with Google Drive and Skype, we can collaborate whenever we need to. In fact, I was on a PLC Skype call last year and it was pretty cool. 10 kids and 4 adults. Got a lot done and the adults could still keep their day jobs. :cool:

The on-line sign up and generating of attendance rosters from Excel saves tons of time.  Can see which events need more promotion and which are doing fine

• Upvote 1