Cub Scout Patrols

2 hours ago, blw2 said:

fast forward to after about a year after my son joined the troop.  I was seeing serious signs of boredom....and we really didn't even do all that much at the den level.  The troops might be set up less advanced in the patrol method than even you do now, and that could be a set-up for let-down and disappointment...

I saw that too with my son's troop.  Making pancakes & hotdogs isn't all the hard for a scout to do.  You can easily do it as a Webelos, if not a bear.  But, when he got to Boy Scouts, the leaders took a step back and had him doing stuff he did two years earlier.  I'd have been bored too.

One of the things I saw in Cub Scouts was that den leaders tended to be parents.  So they had a pretty good idea of what their son could do.   Fast forward to Boy Scouts and the ASMs tended to be longer term volunteers who just liked Boy Scouting.  They didn't know the kids that well, so they assumed the least common denominator.

• Like 1

Our troop is in the same building as the pack.  We have a scout hut where everyone goes.  More than likely some of us will move up by that time.  Additionally I think the pack and the troop are going to be on the same page pretty much.  The troop was at our pinewood derby...  They did the flags before we started and helped keep the cars in order between races.  So the pack and troop do work closely already.