Advancement - speed to destination or quality of journey

On ‎2‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 5:55 PM, The Latin Scot said:

And I being a young single male with no kids of my own, I am regarded as a valued but extraordinarily atypical commodity by my district. :laugh:

And probably by a good number of your class attendees as well. :wub:

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think we're way off topic at this point, but on the subject of advancement... It kind of seems like no matter what pace a kid takes, it will bother someone. Go too fast and you're missing out o

Unless you're next to a screaming toddler on a Lufthansa flight. THEN it is all about the destination and not the journey!  https://metro.co.uk/video/video-demonic-child-screams-eight-hour-flight-

When I offer Den Leader Training courses for new Cub leaders in my council, that's actually a large part of what I try to convey. As a Webelos Den Leader, I think it's important to be aware of the loc

4 hours ago, David CO said:

My point, however, was not about recruitment. I am asking if we should be serving the boys we currently have, or only those boys we anticipate will continue on in the program.

If the boys are having fun now, they will want to continue the fun next year. 

Barry

1 hour ago, Hawkwin said:

And probably by a good number of your class attendees as well. :wub:

LOL that's nice of you to say, though one would need to be a bit more attractive than I am to get that kind of attention. :rolleyes:

17 minutes ago, David CO said:

No, most of them won't.

Not with that kind of an attitude, no. But if you cultivate a close partnership with a local troop and simply assume from the start that Webelos in your den will move on to Boy Scouts when they are old enough, you can ensure that the majority of them do. I don't even talk to my parents about the possibility of the boys not moving on; I simply gear all conversations towards the eventual advancement to Boy Scouts, and treat it as being as expected and natural as the transition from Wolves to Bears. If you prepare them for the transition early enough, and have a good troop in the wings waiting to welcome the boys even before they actually advance, they will more than likely continue on to Boy Scouting when the time is right.

Edited by The Latin Scot

For some parents, it's apparently speed.At last nite's meeting, one of the helicopter parents commented how her son needs a SMC to have his Second Class BOR next week. This is the same mom who A) commented on FCFY 2 weeks ago and I old her it more important for skills than an arbitrary time line and B) whose son has snuck into his dad's tent on several occasions, won't stay in a tent unless dad stays with him until he falls asleep, or just whines and complains until he goes home. 

1 hour ago, Eagledad said:

Then you are doing it wrong.

Barry

Nope. It is not a matter of doing it right or wrong. Cub scouting and boy scouting are two very different activities. Most kids who like cub scouts end up not liking boy scouts. That's just the way it is.

• Upvote 1
18 minutes ago, David CO said:

Nope. It is not a matter of doing it right or wrong. Cub scouting and boy scouting are two very different activities. Most kids who like cub scouts end up not liking boy scouts. That's just the way it is.

Lol, I have too much actual experience to know better. And I have no problem with glass half empty people so long as they don’t keep trying to pour that half empty glass on dreamers. 

12 minutes ago, Eagledad said:

Lol, I have too much actual experience to know better. And I have no problem with glass half empty people so long as they don’t keep trying to pour that half empty glass on dreamers. 

I probably have about the same amount of experience, so playing the age card doesn't work on me. 

It is not a question of optimism or pessimism. It is about wanting what's best for each kid. Sometimes that's scouting, and sometimes it's not.

Boys might love flag-football, but not like full-contact football. Boys might love little league, but not like playing baseball when the pitches get faster and the base-lines get longer. It happens all the time. The same is true of scouting. Many boys who like cub scouts will never enjoy boy scouting. 

• Upvote 1

Age card? Stating our experiences is a card? 

How does someone with a “anti-OA” card know what’s best for a dreamer? Scouters should spend less effort telling what Scouts can and cannot do, and instead a build a program that encourages more dreams and let’s the Scouts choose their path.

Barry

• Upvote 1
14 minutes ago, Eagledad said:

Scouters should spend less effort telling what Scouts can and cannot do, and instead a build a program that encourages more dreams and let’s the Scouts choose their path.

I am going try and go on a tangent. :)

Oldest is at the stage where he needs to figure out a service project for Eagle. His plan is to finish the Eagle Required MBs this summer, then do the project in 2019. I told him this morning I know he wants to do his project next summer, but he needs to start coming up with ideas for a project. He smiled at me, and I knew he had an idea. SO I asked what it was. He wants to take old, out of date computers, refurbish them, and give them to local organizations that help people get back on their feet. Apparently he saw a Youtuber do something similar, except with new computers, not refurbs.

My initial thought was,  THIS IS CRAZY! {emphasis).  But what I said was, "remember the purpose of the project is to show leadership. You need to plan, organize and  execute the project.How are you going to do that?" His response was rational and doable. Ijust hope itpasses muster withthe PTB

2 hours ago, Eagledad said:

Age card? Stating our experiences is a card? 

How does someone with a “anti-OA” card know what’s best for a dreamer? Scouters should spend less effort telling what Scouts can and cannot do, and instead a build a program that encourages more dreams and let’s the Scouts choose their path.

Barry

You've completely lost me on the dreamer comments. I have no idea what you're saying.

Yes, my unit opposes OA because of the cultural appropriation issue, but I can't see how that has any relevance to this conversation.

I am all for letting boys choose between scouting and sports. I don't have any preference for which program they choose. One way or the other, it's fine with me. I think I have made that clear.

Edited by David CO
2 hours ago, Eagle94-A1 said:

He wants to take old, out of date computers, refurbish them, and give them to local organizations that help people get back on their feet. Apparently he saw a Youtuber do something similar, except with new computers, not refurbs.

My initial thought was,  THIS IS CRAZY! {emphasis).  But what I said was, "remember the purpose of the project is to show leadership. You need to plan, organize and  execute the project.How are you going to do that?" His response was rational and doable. Ijust hope itpasses muster withthe PTB

I think it's a good idea. I can see leadership in coaxing people into donating old machines, testing, reassembling, loading software, and also teaching people how to use the computers.

Linux is your friend. It will run on any old computer. There are linux user groups all over that can help.

4 hours ago, David CO said:

The thing is, statistically and technically, you are incorrect. If you check the national averages, the majority of boys who are in Cub Scouts do in fact continue on to Boy Scouts. No it isn't 100%, but it is more than half, so ... that is the definition of MOST. A majority. The larger portion. The bigger slice of the pie.

Trying to push the idea that "most kids who like cub scouts end up not liking boy scouts" is an unfortunate commentary on your experiences for which I am indeed sorry, but it does your position no good to try and force an idea that objectively isn't so. I understand both your point and your sentiments, but you cannot factually claim that "most of them won't" move on. Perhaps explaining the factors which influence those who do not progress, rather than basing your argument on the quantity of boys who do not, might be a more effective way to illustrate your point.

Edited by The Latin Scot
  • Upvote 1