L.L.Bean to embed IoT sensors in coats and boots

1 minute ago, RememberSchiff said:

Let's stay focused. We were given a working cellphone and cellphone network at the start of this discussion. 

Who initiates the distress call, is it the hiker? What if he is incapacitated? What if he is dead?  Say the hiker has medical IoT sensors in his clothing to chain medical data via a working phone whether the user is conscious or not.   So data is returned and shared, the hiker is at this location and has this pulse, temp, BP,  respiration rate or he does not (He's dead Jim).  The weather is getting worse,  do you dispatch a SAR team ASAP or do you wait until the weather clears and send a Recovery team? 

The recent Mt. Hood rescue comes to mind. 

You are answering your own questions. How about you stay focused on what *I* asked.

How is this any better than a cell phone or sat phone? Answer: It isn't because it does not provide any greater ACCESS to the lost party. THAT was my point. You are providing to answers to questions you asked but are not germane to the point under contention.

9 minutes ago, Col. Flagg said:

You are answering your own questions. How about you stay focused on what *I* asked.

How is this any better than a cell phone or sat phone? Answer: It isn't because it does not provide any greater ACCESS to the lost party. THAT was my point. You are providing to answers to questions you asked but are not germane to the point under contention.

How is this any better than a cell phone or sat phone?  It provides more intel, giving rescuers more situational awareness to commit proper resources in a smarter way.

I guess we agree to disagree.

Just now, RememberSchiff said:

How is this any better than a cell phone or sat phone?  It provides more intel, giving rescuers more situational awareness to commit proper resources in a smarter way.

I guess we agree to disagree.

As Ronald Reagan once said, "There you go again."

You have this incessant need to be right or close down debate when things don't suit you.

Let me be clear (again): I am NOT talking about DATA!! That is YOUR argument.

I am talking about getting ACCESS to and FINDING them!!! 

I'm done. You may have the last word.

• Haha 1
9 minutes ago, Col. Flagg said:

As Ronald Reagan once said, "There you go again."

You have this incessant need to be right or close down debate when things don't suit you.

Let me be clear (again): I am NOT talking about DATA!! That is YOUR argument.

I am talking about getting ACCESS to and FINDING them!!! 

I'm done. You may have the last word.

You just need a super cool cell phone

Image result for Zack Morris on phone

Or be on the beach

Image result for wall street phone on the beach

Or one in you car

Related image

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
On 2/15/2018 at 4:43 PM, Back Pack said:

I don’t think so. Flagg has been pretty specific and you’ve been ignoring what he says. Pretty clear to me. It is almost like your trying to provoke something. How many times did he have to say what he said. 

Nah, they are just arguing two very different scenarios.

Col. Flagg is talking transmission. He is correct that without the transmission data doesn't do much good. If this tech is using NFC, then there MUST be an intermediary communication device, because unless things have changed recently, NFC is good for a max of a few inches. And then that device needs to be able to retransmit to the larger network.

Though I will say that during some FEMA training, the instructor said that most SAR actions take place in urban areas. FEMA even has an Urban SAR group. So data transmission may not be as much a factor in Urban areas with technology (assuming the victim has tech........and it's working........ and it is on....... and communicates useful data)

Schiff is talking data value. I believe he is saying that data provided by these type devices may improve search and rescue efforts.  He is right, more and better data are almost always a good thing if it is available

I guess I would ask another question, assuming your fancy new duds, tracked the right kind of data, and they were able to transmit that data, what would be the trigger for emergency response or SAR? I mean, did my heart rate tracking stop because a tree fell on my head or because my base layer malfunctioned?

Then, how do you bridge the communication gap? The SAR folks looking for me will likely not know who my clothing is talking too. The guy monitoring me in Mumbai probably won't know who to call to forward the data too. I mean, we can't get two different law enforcement agencies to talk to each other, I would be stunned if anyone could pull that trick off.

All this tech is cool, but there are still major limitations.

• Upvote 1
7 hours ago, HelpfulTracks said:

I guess I would ask another question, assuming your fancy new duds, tracked the right kind of data, and they were able to transmit that data, what would be the trigger for emergency response or SAR? I mean, did my heart rate tracking stop because a tree fell on my head or because my base layer malfunctioned?

All this tech is cool, but there are still major limitations.

Depends on the hiker's medical history and preferences, the selected monitoring system and its response protocol.

It could be a alarm to the hiker and to a monitoring station with a callback similar to a home security system and likely notification of other networked hiking members near you.  Or it could be self-monitoring with an alarm call list. Or something else.

I agree the tech is remarkable. There are even non-invasive diabetes sensors now. I am skeptical of the sensors being in clothing or boots, I think arm/ankle bands would be more workable.

Edited by RememberSchiff
10 hours ago, HelpfulTracks said:

Col. Flagg is talking transmission. He is correct that without the transmission data doesn't do much good. If this tech is using NFC, then there MUST be an intermediary communication device, because unless things have changed recently, NFC is good for a max of a few inches. And then that device needs to be able to retransmit to the larger network.

You can have all the data you want, but unless transmission happens and SAR teams dispatched, you will have data for a post-mortem and not a rescue.

As for the data, I'd prefer it be a private blockchain rather than a public one. Data is only as secure as the platform on which it sits. Encryption, like world records, are made to be broken. Any IT security expert would tell you that you don't leave anything locked and in plain sight, because eventually someone comes along with a means to pick that lock. :cool:

Creeps me out that my phone knows where I'm at, don't want my jacket keeping tabs on my comings and goings.  Also would you need to plug your jacket in to keep it ready to roll?  Great...now I have to install outlets in the closet.  It NEVER ends!!

1 hour ago, NJCubScouter said:

Blockchain sounds like it could be a medieval torture device.

"Are you coming down into the Pit? Westley's got his strength back. I am starting him on The Blockchain* tonight."

"Tyrone, you know how much I love watching you work. But I've got my country's five hundredth anniversary to plan, my wedding to arrange, my wife to murder, and Guilder to frame for it. I'm swamped."

"Get some rest - if you haven't got your health, you haven't got anything."

*Ok, that word isn't in the original.