I've looked at that link, and it seems once again we're not just "two countries separated by a common language". They look more like what we'd call drop scones, or maybe scotch pancakes, and it might just be me, but serving it with sausage [shudder].

Pancakes, proper pancakes, as I know them (so they must be right), are more like a French crepe, simply served with lemon juice and sugar. Though I have developed a taste for chocolate spread (proper chocolate by the way), or nutella, and maybe whipped cream, or a bit of toffee sauce, fruit, and other fancy ways. UK tradition is just lemon juice* and sugar.

This post was brought to you along with my application to the Diplomatic Corps. and in the interests of mutual international understanding. I hope their fundraiser goes well.

* Do you have those little lemon shaped bottles of lemon juice in the states? We did pancakes at Explorers last week, luckily I took some proper lemons as I don't know how old this bottle we had was, but the juice had turned brown and refused to come out of the little hole in the top. I guess it may have been past its best before date. :)

Proper pancakes with chocolate spread or nutella? No wonder we revolted. :) We wanted freedom to cover our pancakes with maple syrup.

I  cannot recall a Fat Tues before Valentines Day so I have to get Mrs.Schiff her sweets today. Already bought her some GSUSA lemon cookies which the Girl Scouts kindly placed in a Happy Valentine's Day bag.

:D

49 minutes ago, RememberSchiff said:

Proper pancakes with chocolate spread or nutella? No wonder we revolted. :) We wanted freedom to cover our pancakes with maple syrup.

I'll let you have that one. At least that's sweet and not savoury. And my American History is sketchy at best so thanks for the history lesson.

49 minutes ago, RememberSchiff said:

I  cannot recall a Fat Tues before Valentines Day so I have to get Mrs.Schiff her sweets today. Already bought her some GSUSA lemon cookies which the Girl Scouts kindly placed in a Happy Valentine's Day bag.

You old romantic.

I bet there will be some awkward moments tomorrow as chocolates are given only to receive the reply "I've given them up for lent".

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, ianwilkins said:

I'll let you have that one. At least that's sweet and not savoury. And my American History is sketchy at best so thanks for the history lesson.

You old romantic.

I bet there will be some awkward moments tomorrow as chocolates are given only to receive the reply "I've given them up for lent".

They'll still be good by Easter. Longing makes the wait all the sweeter.

Don't do what my mum did in 1940 --store them under the bed next to the radiator. 

As for pancakes one son drowns it in faux maple syrup and the other in honey. As a diabetic I skip the whole thing. 

One of my wife's favorite V-day memory was the heart shaped pizza I tipped the pizza parlor into making the first year we were married. The guy signed the inside "Pizza by Gus". We were so poor an $8 pizza on our card table in the first apartment was living it up. I think I wrote a poem too and engraved it on a sheet of metal. Young love--that was 30+ years ago. <3

• Upvote 1

* Do you have those little lemon shaped bottles of lemon juice in the states? We did pancakes at Explorers last week, luckily I took some proper lemons as I don't know how old this bottle we had was, but the juice had turned brown and refused to come out of the little hole in the top. I guess it may have been past its best before date. :)

Yes, we do. The most common brand in my area is ReaLemon.

I do like a few sausage links with my pancakes/maple syrup. Was that sausage? I thought they were over-cooked hockey pucks.

If sausage makes you shudder, you best not ask what they try to pass off as butter.

Edited by David CO
  • Upvote 2

No pancakes last night, just tacos and fellowship. There a friend delivered an awesom one-liner in her Midwestern deadpan ....

I can think of no better mashup of holiday for a single woman than Valentines and Ash Wendesday

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, Back Pack said:

... and king cake. 

Out of curiousity, which bakery and how much was the shipping?  Or did you go local? I ask because I could not find a decent king cake locally, and the bakeries back home I inquired about charged an arm and a leg for shipping. Wife had pity on my soul and started making them for me.

As for food, I love the traditional New Orleans Mardi Gras meal: Popeyes Famous Fried Chicken with cole slaw. ;)

2 hours ago, Eagle94-A1 said:

Out of curiousity, which bakery and how much was the shipping?  Or did you go local? I ask because I could not find a decent king cake locally, and the bakeries back home I inquired about charged an arm and a leg for shipping. Wife had pity on my soul and started making them for me.

As for food, I love the traditional New Orleans Mardi Gras meal: Popeyes Famous Fried Chicken with cole slaw. ;)

My dad went to school down there so we use a few different ones. The one we had was from Gambinos. We had a coupon so it was $35 for a large creamcheese filled cake.