Adult Adventure Weekend at the Summit

This just popped up in my email.

INVITING ALL ADULT SCOUTERS AS A THANKS FOR WHAT YOU DO!ADULT ADVENTURE WEEKEND

http://www.summitbsa.org/AAW?utm_source=adobecampaign&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=aaw_2-2018

I'm sure there's going to be a lot of disdain for this idea here on the forums. But although I'm not that personallyinterested in going I can see there being some merit to the idea.

For now I think I'll just grab some popcorn and see how my fellow forumers want to proceed.

3 hours ago, CalicoPenn said:

Got to pay for the Summit somehow - and it looks like the Boy Scouts of America is counting on the Man Scouts of Neverland to do so.

Yeah... that framing was extremely off-putting.  Especially since they could tweak it slightly and have a great national Powderhorn course. Combine the skill development/fun with more location neutral workshops, etc. Unfortunately that would have Scouters building their own adventure instead of buying Summit's.

Or even better make a weekend of day long short courses. A half day workshop on building climbing anchors and a half day trad climbing at the New or sport climbing at Sommerville Lake. A day of whitewater kayak skills . A day of mountain bike skill work... etc etc. Three day-long technical short courses for $300... wow sign me up. Outdoor Disney not so much.

• Upvote 2
6 hours ago, T2Eagle said:

I'm sure there's going to be a lot of disdain for this idea here on the forums. But although I'm not that personally interested in going I can see there being some merit to the idea.

The things I love most about Scouting revolve around fostering fun and adventure with the boys, and (in a selfish fatherly way) participating in those experiences with my son.

Removing boys from the adventure equation deflates my motivation. If required I can endure a BSA adult leader training course for a weekend, but I am not in this for the adult interaction with other Scouters (no offense, folks). I’d rather be home remodeling my kitchen.

I chuckled when I saw this too.  But if the same offer was made for Philmont or Northern Tier I would have been very interested.  Summit (and Seabase) hold no interest for me.  They are a different type of adventure than I enjoy.  I hope they get good response though.  It will help people recognize that the national bases may be expensive but they do provide a top-notch experience for the youth.

"Adventure" is what you make out of any life experience.  Most aren't planned and not many of them expensive.  On our family trip to Yellowstone, it was quite an adventure.  They had warned us about the bears and such.  But what they didn't say was that at night in certain campgrounds, the buffalo like to bed down for the night among the campsites.  We didn't put 2 and 2 together when we felt lucky to find an open campsite.  As a matter of fact the campground still had plenty of sites later in the afternoon.  I guess that meant there was that much more room for the buffalo.  It is unfortunate that my kids are home-schooled, because they would have had a great "show-and-tell" opportunity the next fall.  Instead they had settle for taking a ton of pictures and have a story to tell their grandchildren.

And I need to add that the wife's adventure was all the beautiful fields of wild flowers.  She and the kids insisted I stop every so often so they could go out and identify them because they were different than the ones back home.  Whenever someone sees wild animals in the park, a huge temporary parking lot appears along side the road and the question asked is: "What do you see?"  Here the wife and kids are knee deep in the beauty of a mountain meadow in full bloom and these people couldn't see it.   As I said, adventure is what you make out of any life experience.

Edited by Pselb
39 minutes ago, jjlash said:

I hope they get good response though.  It will help people recognize that the national bases may be expensive but they do provide a top-notch experience for the youth.

True. This adult adventure weekend could send home some adult converts to advertise The Summit and convince boys to attend.

• Upvote 1
27 minutes ago, cyphertext said:

It's not for me, but I could see some aged out Scouts registering as adults to go play for the weekend!  

Exactly - and why not.  In fact, why not have special events that are open to the public.  It is a whole bunch of facility sitting there unused for much of the year.  I know Philmont has "autumn adventure" and they offer special hunting packages in the fall.  

8 hours ago, cyphertext said:

It's not for me, but I could see some aged out Scouts registering as adults to go play for the weekend!  

This is part of what makes it somewhat interesting to me.  Both my sons will be over 18 and in college by this summer, one of them will still be registered, the other dropped off this last recharter because despite the best of intentions he just hasn't found any time to help with the troop.  Timing is everything, but the Summit is about 5 hours away,  it at least crosses my mind that this would be a fun way to go spend a long weekend with them.  

Edited by T2Eagle
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
On 2/13/2018 at 8:05 AM, cyphertext said:

Depends on how many adults go and what age. No college guys want to hang out with a bunch of older men when I can go to an outfitter on the new river gorge and have a day with my friends and then go hike the Appalachian trail. 

• Haha 1
2 minutes ago, Back Pack said:

Depends on how many adults go and what age. No college guys want to hang out with a bunch of older men when I can go to an outfitter on the new river gorge and have a day with my friends and then go hike the Appalachian trail. 

Good point!