Has your troop ever gone to Disney World?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm sure it's been done, but I think there are things you do with your family and there are things you do with your troop, and WDW definitely falls into the former...in my humble opinion

Dang if I know. When my Son was SPL he kept asking the adults for some cost numbers on trips (for over a year). So he and the PLC could...you know....actually take ownership and plan trips with a budg

Good points We did not cook on the MLK trip.  Stayed on the Alabama and got meals there.  Then ate on the NAS base in Florida for some meals.  Did the Battleship and camped on the NAS recreationa

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, SSF said:

I'm sure it's been done, but I think there are things you do with your family and there are things you do with your troop, and WDW definitely falls into the former...in my humble opinion

I would have to agree.  There are many many activities that troops can do, not saying WDW is a bad one, but it would be pricey.  We try to keep our outdoor trips and campouts to those things a Scout's family can do, but may not want to do as a family.  Backpacking, kayaking on a river, canoeing in the swamp, biking on a rails to trails, primitive camping at a State Park, etc.  Each year we do a trip that is longer, but still has some outdoors or adventure elements.  Staying overnight on a museum ship, touring some of the military museums, ziplining.

Also we work very hard to keep the cost elements reasonable.  

24 minutes ago, ItsBrian said:

That’s expensive :confused:

Ill join anyone’s troop who’s going! :laugh:

It's expensive but so are things that National runs like Philmont, Jambo, Seabase. We did the Yorktown at Patriots Points and it was $175 a kid. Transportation costs are the killer. But then Disney is only 90 minutes away for us. 

Not the Rat, but a local amusement/waterpark. When I was up in Canada, the last full day we had a choice of waterpark  or amusement park. Most of us stuck with the waterpark because we were still recuperating from a week of canoeing, and of course the girls :)  Most popular place was the huge heated pool. After a week dealing with glacier fed lakes, and me getting hypothermia, it was awesome to have hot water. It was included in the trip fee.

Local troop on the way back from FL Seabase, did a day at the Rat.

We are easy driving distance form there...about 2-1/2 hours.  Our pack used to go camp at Fort Wilderness every year or two.  Good family camping there, since we were close and it's palatable for many new families....clean bathhouses and such...  But that was all family camping stuff. 

We did Universal once.  

We spent a day driving there, stayed at a local campground.  Got up the next day and did the park.  Stayed late, had dinner at the park, and then went back to camp.  Next day we packed up and went home.  It wasn't cheap, but it wasn't crazy expensive like when my family stays in the park at one of the resorts.  It seemed to work pretty well.

I've got a couple of teenage kids.  They seem more interested in Universal than WDW.  I love WDW, so it pains me to say that.

17 hours ago, blw2 said:

We are easy driving distance form there...about 2-1/2 hours.  Our pack used to go camp at Fort Wilderness every year or two.  Good family camping there, since we were close and it's palatable for many new families....clean bathhouses and such...  But that was all family camping stuff. 

We did that for the occasional Pack campout. There are Water Moccasins on site..you'd think Disney would have killed all non-animitronic life. Fort Wilderness had excellent bathrooms and clean up areas which made it a big hit with the Cub moms. You can see the evening fireworks from their too.

On 2/12/2018 at 2:52 PM, Tampa Turtle said:

We did the Yorktown at Patriots Points and it was $175 a kid. Transportation costs are the killer. 

How did you spend that much for Patriots Point?  Curious did you charter a bus?

We do one long trip each January.  Good thing is leaders / parents that drive traditionally absorb the mileage.  We did 900 plus miles with 13 cars on MLK this year., so I personally know the cost.  More mileage to deduct I guess.

3 minutes ago, Jameson76 said:

How did you spend that much for Patriots Point?  Curious did you charter a bus?

We do one long trip each January.  Good thing is leaders / parents that drive traditionally absorb the mileage.  We did 900 plus miles with 13 cars on MLK this year., so I personally know the cost.  More mileage to deduct I guess.

Dang if I know. When my Son was SPL he kept asking the adults for some cost numbers on trips (for over a year). So he and the PLC could...you know....actually take ownership and plan trips with a budget (I know what a concept!). He got constantly stonewalled. I brought it up at committee as well. I think a lot of it was transportation costs...that has been a big cost driver, along with expensive 'group' meals (the popular "lets stop at Golden Corral on the drive home") and "we need to put the boys up at a hotel along the way".

The solution is Patrol campouts. Amazing how cheap those got.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Tampa Turtle said:

Dang if I know. When my Son was SPL he kept asking the adults for some cost numbers on trips (for over a year). So he and the PLC could...you know....actually take ownership and plan trips with a budget (I know what a concept!). He got constantly stonewalled. I brought it up at committee as well. I think a lot of it was transportation costs...that has been a big cost driver, along with expensive 'group' meals (the popular "lets stop at Golden Corral on the drive home") and "we need to put the boys up at a hotel along the way".

The solution is Patrol campouts. Amazing how cheap those got.

Good points

We did not cook on the MLK trip.  Stayed on the Alabama and got meals there.  Then ate on the NAS base in Florida for some meals.  Did the Battleship and camped on the NAS recreational area, all meals, free Naval museum, played on the beach, $50 per person.  Scouts had to pay for their own lunch on the way there and back.  If we had included mileage charges, would have more than doubled the cost

Gifts in kind are your friend

• Upvote 1

also with cubs, we did Patriots Point...great trip, slept under the space shuttle at Kennedy Space Center, slept under the Whale tank at Sea World...

there are lots of great options for scout groups that aren't "camping".  Those were our most popular things in the Cub days....

Thanks for the discussion, this is good.  My concern with my sons' troop is that the camping coordinator tells them up front -- don't say Disney World -- on your survey about where you want to go and what you want to do.

And my thought is -- why not Disney?  Sure, it is expensive, but let them dream big and figure out how to make it happen or decide for themselves to adjust their plans. 

I am considering rattling the adults about this at our next meeting...  trying to push a little bit at a time.   

Edited by WisconsinMomma