"ScoutFest (Scotland)– our festival for adults will take place at Scout Adventures Fordell Firs on 15-16 September 2018.

ScoutFest is going to be something very special for our adult members.  We’re planning a whole weekend of skills development opportunities, training, programme ideas, social events, camping, and loads more!

Scouts Scotland AGM (Annual General Meeting - similar to BSA May meeting - Annual Report, Board elections, major issues)

We will also be hosting our AGM at ScoutFest – our first AGM where all adult members in Scotland will have the opportunity to vote on any constitutional decisions and Board elections.

At our AGM  in November, the Scottish Council voted to extend its membership to all adult members of Scouts Scotland.

The Scottish Council is the overarching governance body representing members across Scotland.  It was previously a relatively small body made up of select roles and nominees from National, Regional, and District level. Decisions made by The Council affect all members, so it is crucial that it is truly reflective of our membership.  

All 11,500 of our adult members will now have the opportunity to take part in consultations, decision-making, and elections. This means that our governance is now more accessible, transparent and democratic.

As part of the Scottish Council all adult members of Scouts Scotland will receive information about the AGM and elections.  We will do this by email, so please make sure that your email details are kept up to date on Compass so that you can receive this information."

https://www.scouts.scot/news-events/news/scoutfest-2018/

Edited by RememberSchiff

Good Lord, that would be the BEST if BSA did something like this.  Get all adult members in BSA to vote on the board and major decisions?  Hilarity and chaos would ensue.  This could be a huge TV event and multi- episode reality show.  Mark Burnett could produce it and with the revenue BSA could erase some of the Summit debt.

• Upvote 1
On 2/12/2018 at 2:35 PM, Tampa Turtle said:

I dunna know get 2 Scots in a room and get 3 opinions.

Maybe sponsored by Iron-Bru. It's made from girders you know.

Apparently they changed the recipe recently, so it didn't have 15 spoons of sugar in every glass (my guess). Some Scots have been stockpiling the "old" bru.

Anyway, the UK also has a Gilwell Reunion every year, y'all are welcome, I think they have the UK AGM there at which anyone can attend. I assume votes and questions can be asked.

I was quite impressed, I went to an event at Gilwell Park for Explorer Scouts, just the 4000 or so, and the Chief Commissioner was there (basically the right hand man of Bear that does all the grunt work while Bear gladhands and signs autographs) and he was quite happy for me to ask him a specific question I had, and I'm pretty lowly.

24 minutes ago, RememberSchiff said:

You (scouters) can ask questions and vote at a National meeting?  And the meeting is outdoors, not in some hotel?

I've never been, but I am fairly sure people can, yes, and it's at a campsite, but inside, in a big meeting hall, I think, or a giant marquee, there is a hotel at Gilwell Park.

3 minutes ago, ianwilkins said:

I've never been, but I am fairly sure people can, yes, and it's at a campsite, but inside, in a big meeting hall, I think, or a giant marquee, there is a hotel at Gilwell Park.

I take it, the hotel is for American tourists? :D

• Upvote 1
4 hours ago, ianwilkins said:

Apparently they changed the recipe recently, so it didn't have 15 spoons of sugar in every glass (my guess). Some Scots have been stockpiling the "old" bru.

Anyway, the UK also has a Gilwell Reunion every year, y'all are welcome, I think they have the UK AGM there at which anyone can attend. I assume votes and questions can be asked.

I was quite impressed, I went to an event at Gilwell Park for Explorer Scouts, just the 4000 or so, and the Chief Commissioner was there (basically the right hand man of Bear that does all the grunt work while Bear gladhands and signs autographs) and he was quite happy for me to ask him a specific question I had, and I'm pretty lowly.

It has an odd off taste...I read it was based on quinine water. It can be cheaper to drink Beer. I'd like to save the sugar for the excellent chocolates over there. (I was just talking about this at the scout meeting last night!) When our family was touring/backing the UK a few years ago we lived off the sandwich combos. It was a fun part of the day trying to decide which Crisp flavor to try "hmmm look Prawn, English Breakfast with HP sauce all in one chip".

I like the idea of calling together scouters...

• Upvote 1
11 minutes ago, RememberSchiff said:

I take it, the hotel is for American tourists? :D

And people attending weddings at Gilwell Park (additional revenue streams eh?), and scouters that just fancy a bit of comparative luxury.

9 minutes ago, Tampa Turtle said:

It has an odd off taste...I read it was based on quinine water. It can be cheaper to drink Beer. I'd like to save the sugar for the excellent chocolates over there. (I was just talking about this at the scout meeting last night!) When our family was touring/backing the UK a few years ago we lived off the sandwich combos. It was a fun part of the day trying to decide which Crisp flavor to try "hmmm look Prawn, English Breakfast with HP sauce all in one chip".

I like the idea of calling together scouters...

Can't remember the last time I had Irn-Bru. I think I would drink beer in preference. Crisp flavours are entertaining, Worcestershire Sauce flavour *really* confused some Portuguese Scouts that were camping with us, on so many levels, from "they're ok I suppose" to "why did they do that?", then there's the pronunciation of it...

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1