Age requirement guidelines

15 hours ago, RememberSchiff said:

@GoingTheDistance welcome to scouter.com.@GoingTheDistance welcome to scouter.com.

Not sure why the above appears.

Above observations are all factually accurate, yet we have these words to consider:

The Sweet Sixteen of BSA Safety

1. QUALIFIED SUPERVISION

Every BSA activity should be supervised by a conscientious adult who understands and knowingly accepts responsibility for the well-being and safety of the children and youth in his or her care. The supervisor should be sufficiently trained, experienced, and skilled in the activity to be confident of his/her ability to lead and to teach the necessary skills and to respond effectively in the event of an emergency. Field knowledge of all applicable BSA standards and a commitment to implement and follow BSA policies and procedures are essential parts of the supervisor’s qualifications.

Guide to Safe Scouting

Youth Protection and Adult Leadership

Units are responsible to enforce Youth Protection policies. Adult leaders in Scouting units are responsible for monitoring the behavior of youth members and other leaders and interceding when necessary. If youth members misbehave, their parents should be informed and asked for assistance.

@GoingTheDistance there is good advice above. As a unit leader in Cubs, Boy Scouts and Venturing, I would never have just let a group of Cubs go off on their own without a qualified Den Chief and at least two adults in tow. Safety and my own liability are the primary reasons. The Scouts are in my care as a unit (or Den) leader, so it is my responsibility to bring them home safely. But this is also Cub Scouts, so the parents (Akela) should be active in their Scout's activities.

I get the idea of wanting to trust the boys and let them go out and have fun, but there is the reality that if someone gets injured the legal ax will fall on my neck...and the necks of any other adults around. There's a good example with this old case where an adult leader allowed his Boy Scouts to go off exploring and a Scout was injured. It just shows that even allowing Boy Scouts to go off on their own can land a leader in legal trouble. All of this may have been simply solved by having two trained adults with the group.

In my opinion BSA rules for Cub Scouts require the Scouts' parents and/or two trained leaders be around for all activities. It also requires someone trained in Cub camping, so I am hoping that at least one adult was BALOO trained. I would have a talk with the Cubmaster and the Committee Chair. If they shrug off your concern I would find another pack.

There's a difference between letting boys be boys and providing supervision for potentially dangerous situations. 

12 hours ago, TAHAWK said:

As safety has been eliminated as a topic for I.O.L.S. effective last year, I was a'wondering where new Scouters are going to learn about that topic.

Safety has not been a specific topic for IOLS since at least 2010, I cannot say before that. First Aid was removed a couple of years ago however.

Safety, is a part of IOLS throughout the scheduled training though, just not a specific topic. I do occasionally see classes on G2SS at University of Scouting and other events.

I will say that it is difficult to get volunteers to training, so there is a constant effort to reduce the in person training in order to make it more appealing. In doing so, volunteers are offered less and less.

But it is a vicious cycle. I cannot not tell you how many SM's have told me they have been a Scout and Scouter for XX years, and they don't need training, as I watch them go off and "command" their unit and lead/teach things incorrectly.

Edited by HelpfulTracks

When it comes to safety, it is assumed that it falls under the category of common sense. 

The problem with that statement is that it is based on an assumption and that sense is common.

And we all know what the true meaning of the word "assume" means. 

if safety was not an issue, why do organizations like OSHA even exist?

How in the world do people who do motivational safety seminars make a living at it?

For those who don't think safety is worth knowing as much as possible about it, make sure your insurance policy is up-to-date, have a good lawyer on retention, and keep your cell phone handy with 911 programed at the top of your contacts list.

Absolutely correct.  The Course Directors around here kept assigning it as a session (mainly to me ) until last Spring.   Then the last holdout, in what is now Great Train Council, gave up.  Lake Erie Council had stopped in 2013.  Silly volunteers thinking safety is important.  No one can say the BSA materials and time allocated are inadequate now, but I would rather defend adequacy in court than totally ignoring the topic.