Remind - A Messaging App

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Agree. But the irony here was that Remind was suggested by the PLC because they didn't want to use email. The adults had been complaining that they never checked it. The boys made a big deal about how

Remind is a common message app where teachers can send reminders via text to students without having their numbers and vice versa.  My school use it and I was like “Why not use it for my troop?”.

Being responsible to your obligations is a part of growing up.  Or, as the kids say, "adulting".  I have a 20-something nephew whose parents are no longer around, and is living with another uncle.  He

2 hours ago, Sentinel947 said:

Yup It's funny that the Millennial Generation and Generation Z are the most connected in history, but ridiculously hard to get a hold of. (I can say that as a Millennial.) 

I completely don't understand it at all....I email and email and email...Do they not even look at emails anymore?

Do I count as a Millennial if I was born in '83? :laugh:

I dunno, as a teacher I have to keep a sharp eye on my e-mails in case parents or administration has notifications that I need to be aware of - if I take longer than a day to reply to a message, there is always a dang good reason for it. So maybe that disqualifies me from being part of that generation, lol.

1 hour ago, Sentinel947 said:

Maybe I haven't kept up to date on the changes to the app, but wasn't the big selling point of the app when it launched was that it didn't save info to your phone?

You can send photos/videos that can last 1-10 seconds and then unlimited until they close out of the photo. 

There’s photos and then there’s chat. Chat is can be saved and then it’s there until one person deletes it from their end. Just like a text message.

2 hours ago, Sentinel947 said:

Maybe I haven't kept up to date on the changes to the app, but wasn't the big selling point of the app when it launched was that it didn't save info to your phone?

Anything on SC can be gotten using various methods. 

4 hours ago, JasonG172 said:

I completely don't understand it at all....I email and email and email...Do they not even look at emails anymore?

Whether or not they read it is not the question. The problem is they rarely respond. They don't remember that they need to respond. They no longer take notes in class because it's all on line. They really have little experience with the idea of notes. I'm sure very few ever write down a phone message. As I said before, the technology is not the issue. There are dozens of apps out there. My troop uses Discord. It doesn't make a difference what app they use.

• Upvote 1

Here's the routine:

1) you tell them in person.

2) then you send them with a written note

3) then you email them

4) then you text them

5) then you leave a message on their voicemail

6) then at parent/teacher conference they will swear up and down you never told them.

I find the most effective way is to staple it to their foreheads.  THEN they remember.

I have found over the years of teaching that if someone wants to remember (memorize) something, like 7 phone numbers, all they have to do is READ them faithfully every morning and every night for 21 days in a row..  That's all there is to it.  That's 49 numbers in a sequence block of numbers.  Now, taking that logic and applying it to something else, remember, these are kids. you need to tell them 42 times and they will remember.  :)

• Haha 1

Being responsible to your obligations is a part of growing up.  Or, as the kids say, "adulting".  I have a 20-something nephew whose parents are no longer around, and is living with another uncle.  He fancies himself a "grownup" who doesn't have to follow our advice, return calls or texts, or bring over necessary paperwork so I can do his taxes and wife can file his trust paperwork.  He wants all mail going to him, not us.  He failed to renew his license plates on time, in spite of many reminders from us, and my offer to bring him over so we can do it together online (a 10 minute process).  Now, he got a notice from the insurance company for the second time, that his payment is overdue and his insurance will be canceled.  Oh, well...   The moral of this is, at some point you have to quit spoon-feeding and let consequences happen.  Hopefully, the light will go on when they realize they missed a deadline and therefore WON'T be going to summer camp, Philmont, or whatever.  Life is hard...it's even harder when you don't pay attention.

• Upvote 2

I’m 19 and I knew everything until I found out I didn’t. My dad tried to warn me but I knew he didn’t know anything until I found out it was me who didn’t. Missed one car payment and didn’t renew my plates. Two tickets and I learned an expensive lesson that my parents were way smarter than me. I’m learning again how to taxes with dad this weekend. I didn’t pay attention last year because I knew more then.  Thanks dad.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
31 minutes ago, ItsBrian said:

I think we should start a new thread about nobody answering their texts, emails, etc. 

I made this thread to share a system that has proven to work for me.

That's the thing with discussion forums... not everyone will share your opinion.  I have seen the app work as well.  My son and I have both used it with success, but others have had different experiences with it.  You shared your experience, others are sharing theirs.

3 hours ago, cyphertext said:

That's the thing with discussion forums... not everyone will share your opinion.  I have seen the app work as well.  My son and I have both used it with success, but others have had different experiences with it.  You shared your experience, others are sharing theirs.

I’m aware, but I just put it out there, I wasn’t trying to spark a whole discussion. Just wanted to give a resource.