Remind - A Messaging App

Remind is a common message app where teachers can send reminders via text to students without having their numbers and vice versa. 

My school use it and I was like “Why not use it for my troop?”. That following Wednesday I brought it up to the adult leaders and PLC then it turns out they loved it and some scouts could relate.

We’ve been using it for atleast 4 months now, and it’s obvious that improvements are made. We send messages about payments, important information, times to be someplace, etc. 

BUT WAIT! What if I want to send a email too? If a scout/parent has their email linked to their account they will get a email AND/OR text!

and the best part, it’s free.

More info: https://www.remind.com/about

• Thanks 2
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Agree. But the irony here was that Remind was suggested by the PLC because they didn't want to use email. The adults had been complaining that they never checked it. The boys made a big deal about how

Remind is a common message app where teachers can send reminders via text to students without having their numbers and vice versa.  My school use it and I was like “Why not use it for my troop?”.

Being responsible to your obligations is a part of growing up.  Or, as the kids say, "adulting".  I have a 20-something nephew whose parents are no longer around, and is living with another uncle.  He

7 hours ago, cyphertext said:

Yes, Remind 101 is a great app.  My son's JROTC unit used it.  Great for sending info to a large group.

It was changed from Remind 101 to Remind, I guess to make it more “modern”.

Edited by ItsBrian
2 hours ago, Col. Flagg said:

Our PLC used this because they thought email was for old folks.Oddly enough it was used for a while but then abandoned because guys weren't checking their text messages any more. Why? Snapchat.

I use it mostly for parents :confused: I’ll admit I mostly Snapchat most scouts besides some of my good friends that I have in the troop I can text.

I still use email for like big big big messages (there’s like a 150 word limit), but I still attach permission slips and stuff to the remind messages.

Edited by ItsBrian
35 minutes ago, ItsBrian said:

I use it mostly for parents :confused: I’ll admit I mostly Snapchat most scouts besides some of my good friends that I have in the troop I can text.

I still use email for like big big big messages (there’s like a 150 word limit), but I still attach permission slips and stuff to the remind messages.

Agree. But the irony here was that Remind was suggested by the PLC because they didn't want to use email. The adults had been complaining that they never checked it. The boys made a big deal about how they check texts messages "nearly instantaneously" but only rarely email, so Remind was suggested as a way to get in touch with them faster.

The reality was that teenagers don't check (or at least don't bother to respond to) texts either. I suspect if we used Snapchat they'd eventually find a way to ignore that too.

• Upvote 3
10 minutes ago, Col. Flagg said:

Agree. But the irony here was that Remind was suggested by the PLC because they didn't want to use email. The adults had been complaining that they never checked it. The boys made a big deal about how they check texts messages "nearly instantaneously" but only rarely email, so Remind was suggested as a way to get in touch with them faster.

The reality was that teenagers don't check (or at least don't bother to respond to) texts either. I suspect if we used Snapchat they'd eventually find a way to ignore that too.

Yup. It's funny that the Millennial Generation and Generation Z are the most connected in history, but ridiculously hard to get a hold of. (I can say that as a Millennial.) 

Snapchat is a terrible medium for important information since it doesn't save messages. So you aren't missing anything by not using it. Plus it's really hard to follow YPT on Snapchat. 

• Upvote 1

In a way, text messages are  worse. If you're receiving a hundred a day then it's harder to mark a text as something you need to respond to. Technology will not solve the "I don't really care" syndrome.

3 minutes ago, MattR said:

Technology will not solve the "I don't really care" syndrome.

well said!

I agree, texts are harder to deal with unless it's something that will be dealt with right then and there....like reminders are ok

but

the problem with reminders is that they become noise.  Newsletters can be the same....

I remember reading something a long time ago, before all this electronic stuff, about posting stuff on bulletin boards.....those things would become so cluttered with things that were just always there, that when something new would go up it would just be lost in the noise and never noticed.

30 minutes ago, MattR said:

In a way, text messages are  worse. If you're receiving a hundred a day then it's harder to mark a text as something you need to respond to. Technology will not solve the "I don't really care" syndrome.

You can also receive a notification through the app & read it, reply to it, etc there as well.

32 minutes ago, Sentinel947 said:

Snapchat is a terrible medium for important information since it doesn't save messages. So you aren't missing anything by not using it. Plus it's really hard to follow YPT on Snapchat. 

Sorry to burst your bubble but you can save messages on Snapchat. :confused:

You can video chat, call people, have group chats, and all that stuff. Only photos can’t be saved unless screenshotted.

46 minutes ago, Col. Flagg said:

I think that’s a issue for few. I know so many people that respond fairly quickly. Every single parent or scout in my troop reads my messages within 12 hours about. I can see who read it through the app as a “ class owner “

40 minutes ago, ItsBrian said:

Sorry to burst your bubble but you can save messages on Snapchat. :confused:

You can video chat, call people, have group chats, and all that stuff. Only photos can’t be saved unless screenshotted.

Maybe I haven't kept up to date on the changes to the app, but wasn't the big selling point of the app when it launched was that it didn't save info to your phone?