Coolest Scout Troop Location?

2 hours ago, blw2 said:

wow, that's really hitting the jackpot.  That really should be fun for the scouts...ESPECIALLY if the adults get out of the way and let them set it up and furnish the place....

That's the only problem I can imagine with a place that nice.... very unlikely that the adults are going to let the scouts own it, and do what they do.... unlikely that the SPL and PL's will be given a key to the door....

I can concur....Troop 34 is one of the oldest Troops in the area and especially in my District.   My son goes to this troop for the very reason you mentioned about, there is very few adult interference.  They scouts took down all the memorabilia from the other room and will be responsible for putting it up in the "Lodge"

This House because that's what it is, in on a very expensive lot and over 100k went into the renovations.  Church his helping with some and donations are helping with the other but I can tell you this....The SPL nor PL's will have a key any time soon

On February 28, 2018 at 1:52 PM, JasonG172 said:

I can concur....Troop 34 is one of the oldest Troops in the area and especially in my District.   My son goes to this troop for the very reason you mentioned about, there is very few adult interference.  They scouts took down all the memorabilia from the other room and will be responsible for putting it up in the "Lodge"

This House because that's what it is, in on a very expensive lot and over 100k went into the renovations.  Church his helping with some and donations are helping with the other but I can tell you this....The SPL nor PL's will have a key any time soon

Home repairs MB ... not a bad thing for boys to learn.

It's also a lesson in "The more you own, the more it owns you!"

• Upvote 1
On ‎3‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 6:41 AM, qwazse said:

Home repairs MB ... not a bad thing for boys to learn.

It's also a lesson in "The more you own, the more it owns you!"

lol home repairs MB....hahaha.  This place was dang near condemned.  Contractors made these repairs per permit.  Sure we can teach some of the basics here but this house got completely gutted from the basement to the roof.

• Haha 1
26 minutes ago, JasonG172 said:

lol home repairs MB....hahaha.  This place was dang near condemned.  Contractors made these repairs per permit.  Sure we can teach some of the basics here but this house got completely gutted from the basement to the roof.

They don't call it "House Flipping MB!" In a year and there'll be routine maintenance, alarms to check, shelves to hang, touch-up paint, holes to spackle. Try to get the church's custodian into the habit of sending the COR over with a list of things to check and repairs to make. Have the SPL go over it with the PLC and see how they can divide and conquer.

The first drywall nail I ever pounded (heck, the first cut I ever made with a mitre box) was in our scout-room. One work-day with about four other boys and the SM did wonders for my self-esteem.

I was thinking about these places and to the topic of this thread.... these are too perfect really.

If I could brainstorm up the "perfect place", I'd think it might be something more rustic

A place where the scouts would have their own key, well at least the Patrol Leaders.... so they can have it as a proper club house, patrol meetings on their own, etc...

Maybe like a barn or rustic cabin

close to where the scouts live but not "too city"

with an outdoor area with a flagpole and fire ring, etc...where camping could be done...like for instance with visiting WEBELOS

on a nice pond or lake for paddling skills, fishing, swimming, etc...

basic electric service & indoor plumbing but not much else in the way of modern upscale living, or fancy fit and finish.  Maybe a wood stove for heat, that kind of thing....

and good storage space for keeping and maintaining gear.

• Like 1

My troop had such a place back in the  '40's and '50's.  A log cabin in a wooded area on a family farm.  From the old handwritten records the troop scribe kept, it sounded like a lot of happy Saturday's were spent there.

Alas, the interstate highway 270 got put right thru the farm.  

Progress 

• Sad 1