Coolest Scout Troop Location?

Did you all see this article about a Tennessee's troops meeting place? LINK

They meet in a  refurbished barn which works great because they have the space to run many merit badge courses right on the property. Everything from beekeeping to gardening to canoeing - all right there. Plus it has a great vibe as a clubhouse.

Frankly I dont know any troop that doesnt meet in a church. Does anyone know of any others like this?

I got a cooler place.

Worn-down basement of an American Legion. ;)

I know a troop in town (only has 2 members left) that owns a “scout hut” basically a small building. I’ve never been to it, but it isn’t that big from what I’ve been told.

Edited by ItsBrian
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

A half-hour north of me, there is one of the oldest Troop cabins in the country. Huntington Beach Troop 1 has been meeting in the same place for a century, and it's a treasure trove of Scouting artifacts. Here is a link to their website's images:

https://sites.google.com/site/troop1hb/about-us/inside-the-cabin

• Like 1

those are awesome!  how I think it should be in a perfect world.  Talk about taking patrol spirit and troop pride to another level.....I'd add that the patrol leaders should all have keys to the place so the patrols can have meetings on their own time.... keeping the adults "out of it".  A real scout hut club house!

Meanwhile, my troop as a boy, was much like the Troop I volunteered for.  We fought every other ministry in the church, along with wedding receptions and the rest, for space in the parish hall or the school cafeteria....  No regular place even to store the troop's flag.... we'd have to look for it every time to find which corner or closet it got squirreled into....

curious about those examples.... who charters these troops?  who owns the building and land for these troops to have such an awesome set-up?

We carved out and built a meeting area down behind the CO on their land, backs up to some houses.  Put in a bridge over a gully, assembly area with flagpoles and benches in meeting areas for patrols.  We hang lanterns for lighting.  You come down a hill to get to the area.  If one comes later pretty neat to look down and see the lanterns, Scouts running about.

I am going to make this story short.

Church/School gave the troop a room Decades ago and promised they could have it as long as they were there.  The school wants to utilize the room now so they Church/Scout/Scouts come up with a plan.  We have a garage that is connected to a house the Church owns (near the church/school) so the church/school "gave" the house to the scouts and secured the construction to fix the old house and bring it up to code.  finally after 2 years of off and on work we have our first meeting in it Wednesday.  I'll take some photo's for you guys.  Its top notch.

• Upvote 3
2 hours ago, JasonG172 said:

I am going to make this story short.

Church/School gave the troop a room Decades ago and promised they could have it as long as they were there.  The school wants to utilize the room now so they Church/Scout/Scouts come up with a plan.  We have a garage that is connected to a house the Church owns (near the church/school) so the church/school "gave" the house to the scouts and secured the construction to fix the old house and bring it up to code.  finally after 2 years of off and on work we have our first meeting in it Wednesday.  I'll take some photo's for you guys.  Its top notch.

Woah! You gotta name it.

I know a Troop around me named their donated building “The Scout Hut” many people just call it “The Hut”

Upstairs has 2 open rooms, down stairs has open area with built in storage that are also for sitting.  Has a conference room and a washroom.  There is a basement with 3 fairly large closets. This is a Bungelo style house that are common in midtown Memphis. 

IMG_2008.JPG

IMG_2009.JPG

IMG_2010.JPG

IMG_2011.JPG

IMG_2012.JPG

IMG_2014.JPG

IMG_2015.JPG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
On 2/19/2018 at 5:44 PM, ItsBrian said:

Woah! You gotta name it.

I know a Troop around me named their donated building “The Scout Hut” many people just call it “The Hut”

Awesome picks @JasonG172! We should have a naming contest! I pick "The <CO's name> House of Scout".

wow, that's really hitting the jackpot.  That really should be fun for the scouts...ESPECIALLY if the adults get out of the way and let them set it up and furnish the place....

That's the only problem I can imagine with a place that nice.... very unlikely that the adults are going to let the scouts own it, and do what they do.... unlikely that the SPL and PL's will be given a key to the door....

• Upvote 1

This is a google maps screencapture of my old scout hut.  It was there many years before I was there, and it's still there.  No idea when it was built but I'm guessing the 50's.  It looks boarded up now but in the 70's and 80's I had such a great time there.  I wonder if my picture is still hanging on the wall in there.

Doc1-1.jpg

• Like 2